5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Rebel - Stock Rear Shocks - Missing Remote Res!!!???

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I can't find any press material for the 2020 Rebel, I am curious to see if they mention the resi shocks.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So the off road should also have them? Anyone with ORP can you confirm? I’ll have to check my ORP truck tomorrow to see once my wife is back in town with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My ORP did not come with resi shocks, or even Bilstein.

NC Rebel

Reaction score
Found this on my build sheet, not sure if this is standard or the resevoir shocks

Front Perf Tuned Shock Absorbers

Rear Perf Tuned Shock Absorbers

Front Stabilizer Bar

Rear Stabilizer Bar

STR

Reaction score
... and don’t waste your time at the Bilstein website. It does’t say squat.

NC Rebel

Reaction score
Found this article on Digital Trends...not sure of the accuracy.

New shocks make for a longer day

Another new item for the 2019 Rebel 1500 is a set of Bilstein remote-reservoir shocks, which will allow you to play longer than before.

These remote reservoirs address the problem of “shock fade.” This is when the oil inside the shocks gets heated to the point where the shocks can’t operate like they normally do. The shocks get soft and don’t respond as fast as they used to. This means that small bump you hit a while ago feels like it is now a crater. No bueno.

With remote reservoirs, this oil is cycled through the shocks and an external cylinder to keep the oil cooled longer. This way the small bumps stay small like they should, and hitting them all day doesn’t wear your body out.

The remote reservoir shocks are an upgrade over the prior-generation Bilstein monotube shocks, which suffered from shock fade. Those suck. The new ones are much better.

STR

Reaction score
Found this article on Digital Trends...not sure of the accuracy.

New shocks make for a longer day

Another new item for the 2019 Rebel 1500 is a set of Bilstein remote-reservoir shocks, which will allow you to play longer than before.

These remote reservoirs address the problem of “shock fade.” This is when the oil inside the shocks gets heated to the point where the shocks can’t operate like they normally do. The shocks get soft and don’t respond as fast as they used to. This means that small bump you hit a while ago feels like it is now a crater. No bueno.

With remote reservoirs, this oil is cycled through the shocks and an external cylinder to keep the oil cooled longer. This way the small bumps stay small like they should, and hitting them all day doesn’t wear your body out.

The remote reservoir shocks are an upgrade over the prior-generation Bilstein monotube shocks, which suffered from shock fade. Those suck. The new ones are much better.
:LOL::ROFLMAO:

KOOPS

Reaction score
I'll just report what RamsCare advised me, after I provided my VIN, by their request:

"Thank you for providing that (VIN)! I reached out to an internal resource and I am able to advise that no Rebels come from the factory with a piggyback reservoir. So it would seem that your vehicle is properly equipped. Please know that you may always follow up on this with your selling dealer, as they are in the best position to discuss your situation further with you."

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'll just report what RamsCare advised me, after I provided my VIN, by their request:

"Thank you for providing that (VIN)! I reached out to an internal resource and I am able to advise that no Rebels come from the factory with a piggyback reservoir. So it would seem that your vehicle is properly equipped. Please know that you may always follow up on this with your selling dealer, as they are in the best position to discuss your situation further with you."

Huh? Not very clear, does he mean that no Rebels from a certain 2020 production no longer come with resi shocks? We have examples of earlier 2020 Rebels with them. I can only conclude they are phasing them out for some reason.

KOOPS

Reaction score
Found this on my build sheet, not sure if this is standard or the resevoir shocks

Front Perf Tuned Shock Absorbers

Rear Perf Tuned Shock Absorbers

Front Stabilizer Bar

Rear Stabilizer Bar

Yeah, that is standard I believe. Mine says that too, and I did not get rear resi shocks.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm really not sure what the right answer is, and I'm not sure how to find out.

My original belief... maybe I read or saw it at some point... was that steel sprung Rebel's got the Bilsteins with remote-res, and Air Suspension did not. To me that made sense because steel and Air would have completely different spring rates and Air has it's own dampening properties. I think... not sure... TFL drove or tested a Rebel with Air and a comment was made. I'll try to find it.

Clearly marketing info makes no distinction between shocks and suspension type. As as we're finding out, at least some steel sprung trucks do not have the remote-res shocks. To my recollection, I haven't seen anyone with Air Suspension that has remote-res.

It's possible this situation is only for steel sprung trucks.

That pic of the part number is a big help.(y)

KOOPS

Reaction score
Huh? Not very clear, does he mean that no Rebels from a certain 2020 production no longer come with resi shocks? We have examples of earlier 2020 Rebels with them. I can only conclude they are phasing them out for some reason.

Yeah, not sure. I asked them to look at this Thread and advised that it was virtually unanamouis that they come standard with the rear's with resi. But they just PM'd back the following:

"Thank you for the follow up! I had reached out to the Ram Brand Manager on this, so I am unfortunately unable to speculate further than what I was advised. I kindly recommend following up with your selling dealership as they are in the best position to advise given the specifics of your vehicle. Thank you for your understanding."

Kidder

Reaction score

Well that doesn't seem to be true based on pics from members above with 2019 and 2020 MY Rebels. You may want to point them to this thread.

Kidder

Reaction score
Yeah, not sure. I asked them to look at this Thread and advised that it was virtually unanamouis that they come standard with the rear's with resi. But they just PM'd back the following:

"Thank you for the follow up! I had reached out to the Ram Brand Manager on this, so I am unfortunately unable to speculate further than what I was advised. I kindly recommend following up with your selling dealership as they are in the best position to advise given the specifics of your vehicle. Thank you for your understanding."
Translation - bow out and head to the dealer because the information is suspect. The build sheet should say exactly what the truck has.

KOOPS

Reaction score
I'm really not sure what the right answer is, and I'm not sure how to find out.

My original belief... maybe I read or saw it at some point... was that steel sprung Rebel's got the Bilsteins with remote-res, and Air Suspension did not. To me that made sense because steel and Air would have completely different spring rates and Air has it's own dampening properties. I think... not sure... TFL drove or tested a Rebel with Air and a comment was made. I'll try to find it.

Clearly marketing info makes no distinction between shocks and suspension type. As as we're finding out, at least some steel sprung trucks do not have the remote-res shocks. To my recollection, I haven't seen anyone with Air Suspension that has remote-res.

It's possible this situation is only for steel sprung trucks.

That pic of the part number is a big help.(y)

Just odd that my 2020 Rebel EcoDiesel with rear springs does not have the remote-res...but other's on this Thread with a 2020 Rebel EcoDiesel with rear springs DO have them with remote-res! Doesn't seem to make any sense, whatsoever. My Build Date is 02-2020.

Last edited:

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score

This makes no sense what-so-ever. People are posting pictures of trucks with piggy-back reservoirs and Ram's own marketing talks about it. Their representatives talk about it in press launch test drives. WTF?

Users who are viewing this thread