5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Rebel and a few disappointments

marrtw

Reaction score
I just traded in my 2014 Laramie (95K) on a 2020 loaded Rebel. I had a lot of minor problems with the 2014...SES light every time I filled up with gas (bad sensor in fuel tank...$1500 to fix), broken manifold bolts on both sides (fixed one side, ignored the other), random "Service Air Suspension immediately" warnings (ignored as the issue occurred only occasionally), loud rattle in the sun roof cover ("fixed" by jamming a roll of electrical tape in there), odd clunking noise in the steering (ignored), the infamous cruise control failure (replaced the required part myself), backup camera not working at times (just looked over my shoulder to back up), tallgate VERY hard to open (pulled harder to open), ramboxes failing to unlock (used key instead fob), transmission going out of gear and "blinking" when coming to a hard stop (cycled back to P then D ), blinking instrument cluster lights when dimmed at night (ignored), VERY dim map lights (ignored), and a few other things I've forgotten at the moment.

Even with "Land Rover" reliability (owned two), I still purchased another RAM. Why? Because I couldn't find another truck with the features and refinement of the RAM. And, the old one only left me stranded once. That's not too bad I guess.

So, last night, I purchased a fully loaded 2020 Rebel...air suspension, ramboxes, multifunction tailgate, 12" screen, etc... So far, I only have a couple disappointments. First, there's no front camera. WTF? With all these "packages" the dealer layered on (over $67K MSRP), I STILL can't get a front camera? On a truck that's "intended" to go off road...where a camera would be helpful since, once you look over the huge hood, the closest visible ground is like 12 feet in front of you. I just "assumed" the truck would definitely come with a front camera. How could it not?

Next, no center rear step. Again, based on an online video posted by RAM, I assumed it would come with the multifunction tailgate, or at least be available as an option. Nope.

On the plus side, the truck seems much improved over the previous version. Overall driver visibility is better, the turning radius is better, it's quieter and smoother, the seats are more comfortable due to the adjustable headrests, there's more storage in the console, the flat rear deck is better, etc.... And, let's hope, the reliability is better. If not, I guess I'll be trading again in three years....if not sooner.

Now, I'm off to find the controls for the vented seats. I just know they're there somewhere....

Last edited:

renzo2213

Reaction score
I just traded in my 2014 Laramie (95K) on a 2020 loaded Rebel. I had a lot of minor problems with the 2014...SES light every time I filled up with gas (bad sensor in fuel tank...$1500 to fix), broken manifold bolts on both sides (fixed one side, ignored the other), random "Service Air Suspension immediately" warnings (ignored as the issue occurred only occasionally), loud rattle in the sun roof cover ("fixed" by jamming a roll of electrical tape in there), odd clunking noise in the steering (ignored), the infamous cruise control failure (replaced the required part myself), backup camera not working at times (just looked over my shoulder to back up), tallgate VERY hard to open (pulled harder to open), ramboxes failing to unlock (used key instead fob), transmission going out of gear and "blinking" when coming to a hard stop (cycled back to P then D ), blinking instrument cluster lights when dimmed at night (ignored), VERY dim map lights (ignored), and a few other things I've forgotten at the moment.

Even with "Land Rover" reliability (owned two), I still purchased another RAM. Why? Because I couldn't find another truck with the features and refinement of the RAM. And, the old one only left me stranded once. That's not too bad I guess.

So, last night, I purchased a fully loaded 2020 Rebel...air suspension, ramboxes, multifunction tailgate, 12" screen, etc... So far, I only have a couple disappointments. First, there's no front camera. WTF? With all these "packages" the dealer layered on (over $67K MSRP), I STILL can't get a front camera? On a truck that's "intended" to go off road...where a camera would be helpful since, once you look over the huge hood, the closest visible ground is like 12 feet in front of you. I just "assumed" the truck would definitely come with a front camera. How could it not?

Next, no center rear step. Again, based on an online video posted by RAM, I assumed it would come with the multifunction tailgate, or at least be available as an option. Nope.

On the plus side, the truck seems much improved over the previous version. Overall driver visibility is better, the turning radius is better, it's quieter and smoother, the seats are more comfortable due to the adjustable headrests, there's more storage in the console, the flat rear deck is better, etc.... And, let's hope, the reliability is better. If not, I guess I'll be trading again in three years....if not sooner.

Now, I'm off to find the controls for the vented seats. I just know they're there somewhere....

You can configure what shortcuts you have at the bottom of the screen. But your heated/vented seats, heated steering wheel and rear view mirror are all in the “controls” app. But, since you have a rebel there’s no cooled seats. Only heated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LincolnSixAlpha

Reaction score
I too purchased a 2020 Ram Rebel this past Friday 12/27, trading in my '18 JLUR. I have to say that FCA has certainly done a fantastic job at the look and feel of their vehicles. Mind you've I've been driving BMW's almost exclusively for the last 20 years, and I'm happy to say that I love the interior of these things. Certainly coming out of a lifted Rubicon on 35" KM3's this truck rides like a dream for me, and of course, with that v8 having gobs of power where the v6 in the Rubi is a major improvement. Unlike yours, I ended up with pretty much the "cheapest" Rebel on the lot, like the one I wanted, with the 12" screen and all the other goodies was not on the lot, and @ the owner's house with another 6K of dealer add-on's. I didn't want that! Anyhow, while mine lacks the 12" screen, and the Alpine head unit (or whatever these trucks get as compared to my loaded JLUR), it has pretty much everything else including heated fabric/leather seats. Otherwise, I do agree with your comments, I consider mine loaded, but I can't, for the life of me, understand that remote start is NOT a standard feature on any vehicle listing @ over 50K. Not only do I NOT have a remote start, I don't have the LED bed lights, but yet I have everything else! I'd say the choices they make to not include the little things without having to check more boxes on the order sheet seems entirely off to me. I can live without the upgraded stereo, the 8.4 system without Navi sounds just great to my 51-year-old ears, and I'm not complaining about anything else but I do want my remote start, so I'm thinking I'll have to add it after the fact. Yours is loaded, so I agree with you, why no front camera? Otherwise, this is an awesome truck, and very happy with my purchase!

dpregs

Reaction score
I recently bought a 2020 Rebel too. Overall I am happy with it, but I'll share my thoughts and WTF was FCA thinking:

1. Cameras: For a truck that is supposed to be offroad, I don't understand the lack of at least the front camera. All the other 1500s can have it, why not this one. Also, the Powerwagon, the 2500 off road model, has Front and side cameras! Your marketing this to "off road" guys, wouldn't you want to give them the ability to see around the truck when off roading like the powerwagon?
2. Vented seats: Again, unbelievable that this option is offered in other trims but not the rebel trim. Guys who are off roading would likely be in warmer climates, so it would make sense to me. I have the leather seats in mine and they have the perf holes in them. Come one FCA, that should be a no brainer.
3. LED lighting: Um...ALL THE WAY AROUND. I really feel that new cars today should have LED lighting all the way around. It is crazy to me that some of the vehicle has it and some doesn't. Are they just trying to get rid of old stock bulbs? It isn't hard, but to have to buy new LED replacements and put them in is stupid.
4. Power running boards: This should be an option from the factory. You want as much ground clearance as possible, and the power running boards tuck up nicely against the body when retracted. They are also available on other models, so it should be hard to add that option. NOW, with that said, I did have the dealer install power running boards on my Rebel. I had to talk them into it and prove to them it was possible first, but in the end they added them before I picked them up and they are covered by the truck warranty which is nice. I even have the "retract steps" show up in my controls menu.
5. Bed management system divider: Here is something that would have been nice to know prior to adding the option on my build. If you get the Ram boxes the bed divider can NO LONGER be used to extend over the tailgate, it can only be used as a divider!!! Had I known that, or had a salesman who was more knowledgeable, I would have passed and picked one up later if I wanted.
6. Phone Charger, Placement: When I built my truck I thought I was getting the RamCharger pad with it. I built the truck with everything I could get, so when it arrived and there was no charger I was a bit confused. I asked the salesman about it and he went and talked with his manger. He came back saying, and with a print out of the package, I didn't add that package which included the RamCharger and heated back seats. I was SHOCKED! I looked back on the build site and it isn't there as an option. Again, wish I had a knowledgeable salesman who would have caught that prior. The placement of the USB charging ports for you phone is just plain stupid and not well thought out. If you try to plug your phone into slot one and then put your phone in the holder, it doesn't work as your phone pushes on the usb plug. They should be offset to the left and right of the panel so that your phone can sit in the holder, or move the phone holder and opening for the charging cord to the sides.
7. Gas Mileage: What ever is on the sticker is a LIE! I am getting NO WHERE close to what it says. I am averaging around 12.5 to 13.5 in my daily driving. If I go real easy on it, and try to keep the ECO activated (I don't have the E-Torque), I can get closer to high 13s. BUT, if I drive like I want to, it is closer to 12.5! Just be honest with your numbers FCA, don't post those damn lies!

I think that is enough for now. I really am enjoying the truck.

marrtw

Reaction score
Regarding the bed divider issue, I think you can order a few parts and enable the divider to be used as an extender. Some guy had a youTube video on this but I didn't pay much attention since I never used the divider this way on my old truck.

Regarding the Ram Charger, I'm not sure you salesman is right. I have heated seats but no charger. In fact, I don't think you can order a Rebel with a charger (I may be wrong). I've heard it can be added as an accessory. In fact, there's many Qi chargers that will work and they're cheap.

Regarding the gas mileage, you're absolutely correct. However, it may improve a bit as you break in the truck. Right now, I'm getting about 1 mpg better than my prior truck. Even so, we're looking at 15 mpg for mixed driving.

Regarding the LED's, where are conventional bulbs used? I was thinking everything is LED.

DesertRebel

Reaction score
Are you guys getting a bed divider with you Ramboxes?

I asked about it with my 2019 - was told the divider is not included (rambox and cargo rails only)...

I ended up ordering the divider (and mounting pins, whatever they're called) from mopar - nearly $800.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Are you guys getting a bed divider with you Ramboxes?

I asked about it with my 2019 - was told the divider is not included (rambox and cargo rails only)...

I ended up ordering the divider (and mounting pins, whatever they're called) from mopar - nearly $800.

I ordered mine off eBay (used) for $300. It was in nearly perfect condition.Just don’t come with the key for the lock which I never use anyway since I have a tonneau cover. I think I paid around $90 for the pins/handles from moparamerica with their dodgeforum5% discount.

DesertRebel

Reaction score
I ordered mine off eBay (used) for $300. It was in nearly perfect condition.Just don’t come with the key for the lock which I never use anyway since I have a tonneau cover. I think I paid around $90 for the pins/handles from moparamerica with their dodgeforum5% discount.
So its now the norm that rambox option does not include bed divider, correct?

I just want to be sure the dealer didn't screw me out of part of the package.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So its now the norm that rambox option does not include bed divider, correct?

I just want to be sure the dealer didn't screw me out of part of the package.

the rambox option alone definitely does not include the divider. There is some other combination of groups that does include it but if I remember correctly it didn’t sound worth it when I did the math. It doesn’t appear that yours included it.

DesertRebel

Reaction score
the rambox option alone definitely does not include the divider. There is some other combination of groups that does include it but if I remember correctly it didn’t sound worth it when I did the math. It doesn’t appear that yours included it.
Window sticker says "Rambox Cargo Management System"... I've read other threads where previous gens came with the divider... I think once the extender pins got discontinued, they stopped including the divider in the package (based on reading what's transpired over the past 1.5 years)

Since no one here has indicated their recent rambox purchase included the divider, I suspect that's the norm now.

Ram79hemi

Reaction score
Regarding the bed divider issue, I think you can order a few parts and enable the divider to be used as an extender. Some guy had a youTube video on this but I didn't pay much attention since I never used the divider this way on my old truck.

Regarding the Ram Charger, I'm not sure you salesman is right. I have heated seats but no charger. In fact, I don't think you can order a Rebel with a charger (I may be wrong). I've heard it can be added as an accessory. In fact, there's many Qi chargers that will work and they're cheap.

Regarding the gas mileage, you're absolutely correct. However, it may improve a bit as you break in the truck. Right now, I'm getting about 1 mpg better than my prior truck. Even so, we're looking at 15 mpg for mixed driving.

Regarding the LED's, where are conventional bulbs used? I was thinking everything is LED.
The conventional bulbs are in the third brake light.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The divider was dropped as standard with the ram box to decrease price.

You can get it as an option and package.

The extender parts are missing because of a lawsuit saying it blocked the taillights.

As mentioned, you can get the parts for a 4th Gen and it will work as designed.

dpregs

Reaction score
He showed me a print out that listed all the items, I think the code was AFB or something close to that. Regardless, it isn't a huge deal, but annoys me.
The LEDs are in the brake light. What is interesting, and makes me think they are just depleting old stock, is that in some videos on YouTube it shows the incandescent bulbs in the cabin lights too, but my Rebel has LED ones in places others don't.

Window sticker says "Rambox Cargo Management System"... I've read other threads where previous gens came with the divider... I think once the extender pins got discontinued, they stopped including the divider in the package (based on reading what's transpired over the past 1.5 years)

Since no one here has indicated their recent rambox purchase included the divider, I suspect that's the norm now.
I ordered the Ram boxes with the cargo management system. Maybe that is why I have the divider? I actually didn't think I ordered it, but I also got the step.

One more point of interest, when building the Rebel the salesman had added the remote start, but the remote start is part of another package. If I didn't catch it they would have charged me for an option that is already installed by a previous package.

LincolnSixAlpha

Reaction score
The conventional bulbs are in the third brake light.

I thought that was kinda weird, anyhow I found a video on Youtube of some guy replacing the 1500's conventional lights, with LED's. Which ultimately led me to these, which I just picked up the other day:

They are supposedly CANBUS compatible, and will not throw any codes. Figured it would be an easy swap-out.

rorischak

Reaction score
I have the ram boxes and the cargo management package and mine came with the divider. However, I wish it came with the hardware to mount the divider as an extender. I will try to do some google'in and see what hardware you folks are mentioning.

Does anyone have an idea of the part numbers?

Last edited:

LincolnSixAlpha

Reaction score
I recently bought a 2020 Rebel too. Overall I am happy with it, but I'll share my thoughts and WTF was FCA thinking:

7. Gas Mileage: What ever is on the sticker is a LIE! I am getting NO WHERE close to what it says. I am averaging around 12.5 to 13.5 in my daily driving. If I go real easy on it, and try to keep the ECO activated (I don't have the E-Torque), I can get closer to high 13s. BUT, if I drive like I want to, it is closer to 12.5! Just be honest with your numbers FCA, don't post those damn lies!

I think that is enough for now. I really am enjoying the truck.

Gas Mileage isn't a big deal for me, but I'll share a pic of my truck on a recent trip from Superior, AZ to the 101 which is just outside of Phoenix. This route did have a small mountain to climb, along with some ups, and downs with small hills, and a few stoplights. This was about 60 miles of driving @ 65 MPH with cruise, and MDS on.

I'd speculate that on an entirely flat road, the truck would likely hit close to 24 mpg. Keep in mind I don't have eTorque.

Attachments

• IMG_1682.jpg
    IMG_1682.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 32

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have the ram boxes and the cargo management package and mine came with the divider. However, I wish it came with the hardware to mount the divider as an extender. I will try to do some google'in and see what hardware you folks are mentioning.

Does anyone have an idea of the part numbers?
We have lots of threads here about it. All the info is in them.

Here is one of them

Users who are viewing this thread