5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 RAM 1500 75K Miles Engine or MGU Whine/Noise??

fmurphy922

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first time posting here but I have lurked for a while and appreciate everyone's feedback/willingness to help. I recently used this forum to find out that there was a TSB that addressed the noise I was getting when turning right at slow speeds that I have had since I bought this truck in 2020. Used that TSB and took it to the dealer and they flashed the update for $70 and it fixed it!

Well, finally got that fixed and less than a day later my RAM started yelling at me with a new noise. This noise is kind of like a whine and is most noticeable at cold start around 750-1K RPM and quiets at highway speeds or low idle. I'm assuming the highway speed probably isn't more quiet I just don't hear it due to ambient noises.

After researching, I'm thinking it is coming from the belt driven generator , I have the 5.7L Hemi w/ Etorque but I'm not sure. I know this noise is new and has developed over time.

So I was bummed to know that I am out of warranty, but then after even more research I found out about the 8/80,000 emissions warranty and that the MGU is covered under that warranty. I made an appointment with the dealership for this Friday and have to pay a $150 per hour diag fee to see about the noise. I really want to get this taken care of before I hit 80K which will happen shortly due to how much I drive. Plus I'm towing my TT from Ohio to Maine this October, and also a separate trip (no TT) to Colorado at the end of October for a very expensive Elk hunting trip that I do NOT want to break down and miss.

I'm going to link a video I took this morning that captured the sound to see if you guys think I am over reacting or if it should be cause of concern. My worse fear is that the dealership tries to play it off like nothing is wrong and then something happens and I am stranded on one of my trips, out of warranty, with a vehicle that won't run.

Here is a link to the video and I appreciate any comments/feedback on it:

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
I want to preface this by saying I DO NOT have any experience with ETorque, however that to me sounds like a noisy bearing on something in that belt drive. Whether it's an idler pulley, A/C clutch, or the MGU. I would consider pulling the belt off (with the truck off obviously) and spinning some of the components by hand to feel for any rough bearings. Or go the dealership route, so long as you are comfortable paying them 150 per hour to check it out.

That noise is kinda reminiscent of my power steering on my old Chevy Blazer...

fmurphy922

Reaction score
I want to preface this by saying I DO NOT have any experience with ETorque, however that to me sounds like a noisy bearing on something in that belt drive. Whether it's an idler pulley, A/C clutch, or the MGU. I would consider pulling the belt off (with the truck off obviously) and spinning some of the components by hand to feel for any rough bearings. Or go the dealership route, so long as you are comfortable paying them 150 per hour to check it out.

That noise is kinda reminiscent of my power steering on my old Chevy Blazer...

Hey, thanks for the input. I hate to pay that rate but if it is covered by warranty it has to go to the dealer for an official diagnostic anyway doesn't it?

I have virtually zero mechanical skills. I can do some routine maint.. change engine oil, transfer case and differential fluids etc, but I don't think I would feel comfortable taking belts off. And to be honest, I don't think I would know what a "rough bearing" would even feel like.

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the input. I hate to pay that rate but if it is covered by warranty it has to go to the dealer for an official diagnostic anyway doesn't it?

I have virtually zero mechanical skills. I can do some routine maint.. change engine oil, transfer case and differential fluids etc, but I don't think I would feel comfortable taking belts off. And to be honest, I don't think I would know what a "rough bearing" would even feel like.
Absolutely, I think the dealer should check it out if it winds up being covered under warranty, though I hope they don't try to stick you with a fee for diagnostics. I suppose worst case you pay them for diagnosing the issue and maybe they reimburse you if it is found to be an MGU (warranty) issue. Either way be sure to hold on to your documentation from the dealer visit. If they say "Your truck is fine!" and then it blows up 10k miles later, you will have a record of the noise it was making while it was still under warranty. And be sure to save that video of the noise as well!

And completely understandable, if you're not comfortable taking the belt off, then leave that to a professional. I'd feel bad if I told you to go ahead do it and then some damage to your truck occurred, or if you had to get it towed or something.

fmurphy922

Reaction score
Absolutely, I think the dealer should check it out if it winds up being covered under warranty, though I hope they don't try to stick you with a fee for diagnostics. I suppose worst case you pay them for diagnosing the issue and maybe they reimburse you if it is found to be an MGU (warranty) issue. Either way be sure to hold on to your documentation from the dealer visit. If they say "Your truck is fine!" and then it blows up 10k miles later, you will have a record of the noise it was making while it was still under warranty. And be sure to save that video of the noise as well!

And completely understandable, if you're not comfortable taking the belt off, then leave that to a professional. I'd feel bad if I told you to go ahead do it and then some damage to your truck occurred, or if you had to get it towed or something.
Gotcha. So do you think this noise is enough of a concern that something is most likely to fail? Enough of a concern that if the dealership doesn't address anything to open a case with FCA?

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
Gotcha. So do you think this noise is enough of a concern that something is most likely to fail? Enough of a concern that if the dealership doesn't address anything to open a case with FCA?
honestly I'm not sure. I haven't heard much about noisy generators on the ETorque trucks. If it's an MGU or water pump bearing then yes. however it could completely fail soon, or it could fail in years. I'd get it checked out first, see what the shop says, and go from there.

Maybe other members here with ETorque HEMI rigs could help you out here, if they've experienced the noise.

fmurphy922

Reaction score
honestly I'm not sure. I haven't heard much about noisy generators on the ETorque trucks. If it's an MGU or water pump bearing then yes. however it could completely fail soon, or it could fail in years. I'd get it checked out first, see what the shop says, and go from there.

Maybe other members here with ETorque HEMI rigs could help you out here, if they've experienced the noise.
Thanks for all the input!

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's hard in videos to tell where a sound is coming from. You could find a piece of hose, and put one end to your ear, and point the other around, to hear where the noise is loudest. Of course it could be the E-torque, but with 75,000 miles, idler pulley bearing failures are pretty common.

fmurphy922

Reaction score
It's hard in videos to tell where a sound is coming from. You could find a piece of hose, and put one end to your ear, and point the other around, to hear where the noise is loudest. Of course it could be the E-torque, but with 75,000 miles, idler pulley bearing failures are pretty common.
I might try that this evening when I get to the house

fmurphy922

Reaction score

So after watching a couple videos I thought hell, I can remove the belt and put it back on. Then I popped the hood and realized the etorque isn't as easy as the standard 5.7 bc there is a second belt on the water pump that has to come off first before the serpentine belt can come off. In order to get that belt off you have to stretch it as there is no tensioner and a brand new belt has to be replaced if you remove it due to the stretch which I don't have on hand.

Superbri

Reaction score
My 2022 Laramie just started doing this at 18K miles! Definitely sounds like its the etorque on mine as well, I can hear it on startup and lower rpms and acceleration and can feel a slight vibration in the pedal that wasn't there before. I made an appointment with my local dealer for this Thursday. Hopefully RAM Cares can chime in or assist. I realize everything is still under warranty for me at this point but it's a bit unsettling this happened so soon. Additionally they have no rental or lease vehicles available which makes it a pain for me to get around now.

6of36

Reaction score
My 2022 Laramie just started doing this at 18K miles! Definitely sounds like its the etorque on mine as well, I can hear it on startup and lower rpms and acceleration and can feel a slight vibration in the pedal that wasn't there before. I made an appointment with my local dealer for this Thursday. Hopefully RAM Cares can chime in or assist. I realize everything is still under warranty for me at this point but it's a bit unsettling this happened so soon. Additionally they have no rental or lease vehicles available which makes it a pain for me to get around now.
You really don't need Ram Cares, for every warranty repair, they are for when there is trouble getting a repair. More than likely, it's a tensioner, they are more common, although it is possible for a MGU. As long as you are under warranty, there should be no trouble getting it fixed. It's always an inconvenience, but if they don't have loaners, see if they can shuttle you. My dealer will drive you back home, or work, and bring you back when service is done, within 20 or 25 miles. For me that's fine. For more than a 1 day repair, not as good.

Superbri

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, based on all the other posts, youtube videos etc. it sounds and acts exactly like those that have been diagnosed as needing the MGU replaced. The sound to me is like nails on a chalkboard every time I hear it and I'm concerned they're going to attempt to blow me off like they've done with so many others that had the issue. Fingers crossed everything goes ok and they're able to fix the issue promptly.

Zig10

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, based on all the other posts, youtube videos etc. it sounds and acts exactly like those that have been diagnosed as needing the MGU replaced. The sound to me is like nails on a chalkboard every time I hear it and I'm concerned they're going to attempt to blow me off like they've done with so many others that had the issue. Fingers crossed everything goes ok and they're able to fix the issue promptly.
Any update on this? Mine is making the same noise and I think I tracked it to one of the idler pulleys on the e-torque belt. Doesn't seem like it's coming from trb u it itself.

Anything you can offer on what they found would be appreciated.

Superbri

Reaction score
Nope, it's been at the dealership 30 consecutive days so far. I can't blame the dealership necessarily as they've replaced all the pulleys and then finally replaced the E-torque MGU which still didn't fix the problem. It sounds like it's coming from the E-torque unit itself. It sounds like a bad bearing in the e-torque as it gets worse as you rev it and pretty much screams at you. It definitely sounds like somethings about to give up. They did get me in a rental a little over a week after they had it. They indicated they have another truck in the shop that has the same/ similar problem they don't know how to proceed and have called for a mechanic or a rep from Chrysler to come out. Beyond frustrated at this point, I've only had the car roughly 14 months and this happened at just under 18k miles. My wife doesn't want to drive it at all now as it stalled on her just as she was about to pull out into traffic, that could have been bad. Not sure where to go from here, love the truck but not sure I can trust it at this point.

Last edited:

Superbri

Reaction score

Video really doesn't do it justice how loud the whine is, my son was joking it sounded like a Dodge Demon...only louder and much slower.

6of36

Reaction score
Nope, it's been at the dealership 30 consecutive days so far. I can't blame the dealership necessarily as they've replaced all the pulleys and then finally replaced the E-torque MCU which still didn't fix the problem. It sounds like it's coming from the E-torque unit itself. It sounds like a bad bearing in the e-torque as it gets worse as you rev it and pretty much screams at you. It definitely sounds like somethings about to give up. They did get me in a rental a little over a week after they had it. They indicated they have another truck in the shop that has the same/ similar problem they don't know how to proceed and have called for a mechanic or a rep from Chrysler to come out. Beyond frustrated at this point, I've only had the car roughly 14 months and this happened at just under 18k miles. My wife doesn't want to drive it at all now as it stalled on her just as she was about to pull out into traffic, that could have been bad. Not sure where to go from here, love the truck but not sure I can trust it at this point.
Your video is of the MCU, that you said they replaced.

Superbri

Reaction score
Your video is of the MCU, that you said they replaced.
The video is prior to taking it to the dealership, the service rep indicated they replaced all the parts referenced above to include the MGU but the noise is still there unfortunately.

6of36

Reaction score
The video is prior to taking it to the dealership, the service rep indicated they replaced all the parts referenced above to include the MGU but the noise is still there unfortunately.
Gotcha. I was thinking, that is the MCU. If they replaced it, it shouldn't make that noise, and if it did, it's defective, and should have not left service, without at least ordering another, if they don't stock it. If that happened, you should have been notified. Videos don't help diagnosis though. Yes they prove a noise, but the noise doesn't necessarily come from where the camera points. Has the sound changed at all, after replacing all those parts? Did they get a defective part? There is definitely a bad noise, they can not blow it off.

Users who are viewing this thread