5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 5.7 Engine Knock

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I’ll probably end up taking a loss regardless after the lift, tires, exhaust, and a few other things.
I got a good deal on it in December 2020. Always paid it down as much as I could. I don’t owe very much on it at all now. Just worried the trade in value will tank after the engine replacement and being a quad cab instead of crew. Might be better to keep than trade. We’ll see.

Edit: Forgot to mention the ridiculous interest rates. I have 2% currently. Not sure I can get anything close to that now.
Getting the engine replaced is a good thing if anything. Not sure I would even say anything imo.

Volunteer1589

Reaction score
Update- I got the truck back yesterday. Check engine light came on right after I drove it off the lot. So I’m thinking well here we go again. Turned around and went back to the dealer. Turns out they forgot to plug in the knock sensors on the driver side. Simple fix but definitely made me nervous.
Unfortunately my service advisor was wrong about the lifetime warranty. I am very disappointed about it. Explains why they couldn’t send me it in writing when I asked. Paperwork says 2 year / 24k miles, but service manager said 3 year / 100k.
No lifetime warranty has me leaning more towards trading it.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I wouldn't blame you.
Who knows what else they screwed up, or even saw and said "well it isn't on this work order to fix so screw it"
Lying about the warranty just shows the dealership doesn't want to honor the repair. Lifetime warranty seemed too wishful thinking but if that's what they said it should of been in writing and honored.

I would probably get rid of it.
That's the reason I got rid of my Silverado as I didn't want to get stuck paying for a transfer case they "fixed" and after the problem wasn't resolved claimed "everything was working as designed". Didn't feel like dropping a minimum of 3k + labor and anything else it broke when it would finally go (at 40k miles)

Volunteer1589

Reaction score
I wouldn't blame you.
Who knows what else they screwed up, or even saw and said "well it isn't on this work order to fix so screw it"
Lying about the warranty just shows the dealership doesn't want to honor the repair. Lifetime warranty seemed too wishful thinking but if that's what they said it should of been in writing and honored.

I would probably get rid of it.
That's the reason I got rid of my Silverado as I didn't want to get stuck paying for a transfer case they "fixed" and after the problem wasn't resolved claimed "everything was working as designed". Didn't feel like dropping a minimum of 3k + labor and anything else it broke when it would finally go (at 40k miles)
I am looking at a couple trade options later today. A 19 Silverado LTZ and a 21 Titan Platinum Reserve. Both trucks come with lifetime powertrain. We’ll see what happens.

Volunteer1589

Reaction score
Paperwork is done. I am now the owner of a 2019 Silverado LTZ. Crew cab, long bed, Z71, loaded. Lifetime powertrain included (in writing). Dealer will be adding window tint, tires, and level kit. While all of that is getting done they are letting me keep the Ram until it’s ready.

Trade value settled on $37k from their initial $34k offer. The quad cab hurt me for sure. Interest rates are insane even with 800 credit. Overall I am happy with it and have some peace of mind.

I appreciate all the comments and advice throughout this process. Thank you.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Paperwork is done. I am now the owner of a 2019 Silverado LTZ. Crew cab, long bed, Z71, loaded. Lifetime powertrain included (in writing). Dealer will be adding window tint, tires, and level kit. While all of that is getting done they are letting me keep the Ram until it’s ready.

Trade value settled on $37k from their initial $34k offer. The quad cab hurt me for sure. Interest rates are insane even with 800 credit. Overall I am happy with it and have some peace of mind.

I appreciate all the comments and advice throughout this process. Thank you.
I hope you have good luck with the Chevy . Got any pics ?

Volunteer1589

Reaction score
More issues popped up with the Ram today while I’m waiting on the Silverado. Buttons on steering wheel did not work. Apple car play did not work. I couldn’t even adjust radio volume with the knob. Touchscreen froze. When it wasn’t frozen I could only access climate features. Everything and I mean everything was locked out. Got home and it said update required. (Which I just did after getting it back).

I don’t want to bash on Ram as I really did love my truck when times were good. But all of this just has me grateful to get rid of it. Good luck y’all.

RLee276

Reaction score
Sounds like the dealership I bought off of here In Utah. Might not be a bad idea to call moe at mods performance and order up a new cam/ lifter package.

RLee276

Reaction score
I’m dealing with lifer failure on 2020 ram. I always kept MDS off as well. And now I’m learning that when MDS is off, certain parts of the engine do not get lubed properly. There is several youtube videos on it. I’m not a master mechanic but there is no excuse for a three year old truck that’s been properly maintained to have these sort of engine failures and then only to have the dealership break one off in you as well.
I had to have my transmission replaced in my 2020 at 12k mikes. And now lifter issues/ cam issues.
Seems like American made equals Rags nowadays. And I hate it because the truck looks so good and is a beast when it’s not in the repair shop. But my next purchase is probably gonna be foreign. Maybe a new tundra, or Corolla. I hear they are good for 300k 🤷🏽‍♂️

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I’m dealing with lifer failure on 2020 ram. I always kept MDS off as well. And now I’m learning that when MDS is off, certain parts of the engine do not get lubed properly. There is several youtube videos on it. I’m not a master mechanic but there is no excuse for a three year old truck that’s been properly maintained to have these sort of engine failures and then only to have the dealership break one off in you as well.
I had to have my transmission replaced in my 2020 at 12k mikes. And now lifter issues/ cam issues.
Seems like American made equals Rags nowadays. And I hate it because the truck looks so good and is a beast when it’s not in the repair shop. But my next purchase is probably gonna be foreign. Maybe a new tundra, or Corolla. I hear they are good for 300k 🤷🏽‍♂️
Rams can be good for 300k. Everything is build to last a shorter period of time nothing is without problems.
The only true way to prevent the mds failures is the tune it out and use a delete kit.

silver billet

Reaction score

I have over 50k miles on my truck and 49.9k of those are with MDS disabled.

Also note that when you're towing, and needing engine oil the most, MDS will not activate either because you have T/H engaged or because the load is too great to run on 4 cylinders. My truck will run for 3+ hours straight in 6th gear with no MDS until I stop for a break/gas. If you needed MDS to lubricate your engine, seems odd I haven't blown mine by now.

YT videos are just theories and 99% of them don't pass the basic sniffer test.

I do feel bad for your lifter failure, they are more common in the hemi than they should be. But the reason for those failures have nothing to do with MDS even though I can't stand the feature itself.

BowDown

Reaction score

MDS doesn't operate that way (reducing oil flow), it uses a solenoid that allows the lifter to collapse the plunger internally, it still lubricates normally. The problem with MDS lifters are the oil passages need to stay clean so the lifters function properly, IE oil changes.

The morrell lifters in my Z06 are not MDS but are as sensitive to oil viscosity and dirty oil passages as MDS, most aftermarket high performance lifers are actually. I don't believe most of the YT videos explaining HEMI or GM MDS failures, if you understand the oiling system and valvetrains, what they say in the videos makes no sense.

For what its worth, I have 56K miles on my truck, no mods and no issues

Slimmons

Reaction score
I hope you're liking the chevy. I've had nothing but problems with my Ram so far. Just had the lifter failures, and misfiring. So, I'm about to go through the same thing as you. I've done all of my oil changes....I imagine they're going to put up a fight. I've already had Ram refuse to pay for issues that were under warranty. I love the looks of Ram, but after this one dies (which is about once a week at this point), I won't have another...at least not one with this 5.7 hemi. At 40k miles, I don't think I have a single part of this truck that hasn't given me issues.

Having said that, I got in on the 0% interest loan from chrysler capital (which is why I'm guessing they've refused warranty on parts covered under warranty). I'd consider sueing, but I've wasted a lot of time and money on this truck already, I don't need that kind of headache. Glad they got you sorted out with something that wasn't a 5.7. An engine shouldn't fail this frequently at less than 35k miles.

HemiDude

Reaction score
I hope you're liking the chevy. I've had nothing but problems with my Ram so far. Just had the lifter failures, and misfiring. So, I'm about to go through the same thing as you. I've done all of my oil changes....I imagine they're going to put up a fight. I've already had Ram refuse to pay for issues that were under warranty. I love the looks of Ram, but after this one dies (which is about once a week at this point), I won't have another...at least not one with this 5.7 hemi. At 40k miles, I don't think I have a single part of this truck that hasn't given me issues.

Having said that, I got in on the 0% interest loan from chrysler capital (which is why I'm guessing they've refused warranty on parts covered under warranty). I'd consider sueing, but I've wasted a lot of time and money on this truck already, I don't need that kind of headache. Glad they got you sorted out with something that wasn't a 5.7. An engine shouldn't fail this frequently at less than 35k miles.
Curious if it has been your dealer refusing warranty repairs, or Ram itself. Care to share any details?

BTB123

Reaction score
This thread makes me nervous and has me questioning my decision to leave Toyota. Lol.
I hope my Ram is reliable.

MO Rebel

Reaction score
Makes me glad I decided on the 8/125K Mopar warranty. If she doesn’t blow by 125K, I got a good one.

BTB123

Reaction score
Makes me glad I decided on the 8/125K Mopar warranty. If she doesn’t blow by 125K, I got a good one.
I’ve got a 8/100. No way I buy a Ram without the warranty. But, it seems like a lot of people complain about how Ram likes to try and wiggle out of warranty issues.

RLee276

Reaction score
This thread makes me nervous and has me questioning my decision to leave Toyota. Lol.
I hope my Ram is reliable.
Lol.I hear ya. I really wanted to support the American auto makers but I was fed up with gmc. So I by passed a tundra I really like a decided to give a ram a go.
And at the moment with 45K miles my truck is doing good. But that’s in this exu moment in time.
I had to have the tranny replaced at 17K, I had to have the rear glass replaced at 22K then shortly after the cargo light replaced for massive leaks. All under warranty. Then 3 months after ram fixes the leaks in rear window and cargo light I get another crack in the rear window frame with heavy leaks. And my head liner and rear cab carpet got so saturated with water waiting on the dealership to fix that I ended up fixing it my self. .. hi flow silicone to repair the leak. Then I filled the gap around the entire window with a black sealant and leveled it flush. 2 years later I’m still leak free. But if I wanna replace a cargo light bulb I have to go through the head liner . But it’s easy for me now since I’ve also had to repair a shark fin antenna leak twice also.
But besides that I also live monitor single cylinder misfires (cylinder 6 which is an MDS lifter) and spend most days reading up on lifter failure and prepping for what’s to come.
Not to mention all the bugs in the infotainment system and electronics in general.
I get aggravated with this truck a lot but I still love it. It looks good and it hauls ***. I guess you gotta take the good with the bad.

Users who are viewing this thread