5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 5.7 Engine Knock

BTB123

Reaction score
Lol.I hear ya. I really wanted to support the American auto makers but I was fed up with gmc. So I by passed a tundra I really like a decided to give a ram a go.
And at the moment with 45K miles my truck is doing good. But that’s in this exu moment in time.
I had to have the tranny replaced at 17K, I had to have the rear glass replaced at 22K then shortly after the cargo light replaced for massive leaks. All under warranty. Then 3 months after ram fixes the leaks in rear window and cargo light I get another crack in the rear window frame with heavy leaks. And my head liner and rear cab carpet got so saturated with water waiting on the dealership to fix that I ended up fixing it my self. .. hi flow silicone to repair the leak. Then I filled the gap around the entire window with a black sealant and leveled it flush. 2 years later I’m still leak free. But if I wanna replace a cargo light bulb I have to go through the head liner . But it’s easy for me now since I’ve also had to repair a shark fin antenna leak twice also.
But besides that I also live monitor single cylinder misfires (cylinder 6 which is an MDS lifter) and spend most days reading up on lifter failure and prepping for what’s to come.
Not to mention all the bugs in the infotainment system and electronics in general.
I get aggravated with this truck a lot but I still love it. It looks good and it hauls ***. I guess you gotta take the good with the bad.
You’re a patient person. If I had that crap going on the Ram would be history. It better be fairly trouble free or I’m out.
My 19 speaker HK system sounds like crap. It sounded pretty good when I got it. Now, it’s bad. I’ll be bringing it in for that soon.

frisby5

Reaction score
I have been following these threads it makes me nervous lol. When i went looking for my Ram i only found one with the options i wanted because of the issues i have heard about. My BH Ram has a solid rear window , just have the standard 5 inch uconnect . Only thing i couldnt find was one without Etorque with options i wanted.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have been following these threads it makes me nervous lol. When i went looking for my Ram i only found one with the options i wanted because of the issues i have heard about. My BH Ram has a solid rear window , just have the standard 5 inch uconnect . Only thing i couldnt find was one without Etorque with options i wanted.
From your sig it looks like you have made that truck your own. Here's to many trouble-free years 🍻

CNC99

Reaction score
Lol.I hear ya. I really wanted to support the American auto makers but I was fed up with gmc. So I by passed a tundra I really like a decided to give a ram a go.
And at the moment with 45K miles my truck is doing good. But that’s in this exu moment in time.
I had to have the tranny replaced at 17K, I had to have the rear glass replaced at 22K then shortly after the cargo light replaced for massive leaks. All under warranty. Then 3 months after ram fixes the leaks in rear window and cargo light I get another crack in the rear window frame with heavy leaks. And my head liner and rear cab carpet got so saturated with water waiting on the dealership to fix that I ended up fixing it my self. .. hi flow silicone to repair the leak. Then I filled the gap around the entire window with a black sealant and leveled it flush. 2 years later I’m still leak free. But if I wanna replace a cargo light bulb I have to go through the head liner . But it’s easy for me now since I’ve also had to repair a shark fin antenna leak twice also.
But besides that I also live monitor single cylinder misfires (cylinder 6 which is an MDS lifter) and spend most days reading up on lifter failure and prepping for what’s to come.
Not to mention all the bugs in the infotainment system and electronics in general.
I get aggravated with this truck a lot but I still love it. It looks good and it hauls ***. I guess you gotta take the good with the bad.
Sound’s just like me, especially watching the misfires. Curious how many misfires are you seeing and are you seeing them all the time? Or just during certain situations? (Startup, idling, accelerating, etc.)

Diamond Black Hemi

Reaction score
Paperwork is done. I am now the owner of a 2019 Silverado LTZ. Crew cab, long bed, Z71, loaded. Lifetime powertrain included (in writing). Dealer will be adding window tint, tires, and level kit. While all of that is getting done they are letting me keep the Ram until it’s ready.

Trade value settled on $37k from their initial $34k offer. The quad cab hurt me for sure. Interest rates are insane even with 800 credit. Overall I am happy with it and have some peace of mind.

I appreciate all the comments and advice throughout this process. Thank you.
It's so crazy seeing some of the issues people have with their rams I was a diehard gm ls guy everytruck I ever had was gm and cars too but after my wife's 2nd escalade u couldn't give me a gm truck both of my bestfriends own auto shops and the new DI gm motors and trans well I've seen many and many blow my 2019 ram has 94k miles on it now stays on the rev and 105mph speed limiter my right foot is brutal and only issues have been and this just happened weeks ago is broke manifold bolt and water pump wich both were easy fixes I've been blow away with mine and would buy another tomorrow but I really hope u have better luck with your new truck. I do run 5w30 oil instead of the 20 and it doesn't cold knock anymore atleast not yet it started a while back really lightly and always use 93 octane fuel. Best of luck

Diamond Black Hemi

Reaction score
Correction I ment 10w30 oil pennzoil platinum the cold start knock is gone. Wish I had run this sooner my good friends dad over see's maintenance on a sheriff office's fleet car's told me he switched to the 10w30 and has had much better luck with them and also left gm for Ram.

Users who are viewing this thread