5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 5.7 Engine Knock

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Truck has been towed to dealer. They won’t be able to look at it until next week so will post updates once I know something.
Service advisor did ask about my recent oil change. Had it done at Firestone as I did not want to wait a month for an appointment at the dealer. Service advisor said if Firestone used the wrong oil then my warranty will not be honored. Really hoping that’s not what happened but it sounds like my luck.
What oil did Firestone use?

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Truck has been towed to dealer. They won’t be able to look at it until next week so will post updates once I know something.
Service advisor did ask about my recent oil change. Had it done at Firestone as I did not want to wait a month for an appointment at the dealer. Service advisor said if Firestone used the wrong oil then my warranty will not be honored. Really hoping that’s not what happened but it sounds like my luck.

Friend of my wife got NTB to drop a new engine in her Infiniti. If Firestone is at fault, they have insurance for claims like this. I think you're going the proper route having the dealer diagnose. If the dealer rejects the warranty claim be ready to go a few rounds with Firestone.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just wondering, did you check for (enough) oil via dipstick? Wouldn't be the first time some kid messed that up.

Volunteer1589

Reaction score
Owner's manual states 87 is fine for this engine and 89 is only recommended for peak performance.

This issue sounds like a factory defect, not something caused by using the recommended fuel grade.

Hope they get you fixed up. Went through 3 engines, 2 transmissions, and a partridge in a pear tree when I bought my brand new 2018 F150. Hope you have better luck with the Ram and can understand if you want to trade out. Keep us posted please.
So far I’ve had the back sliding window leak, third brake light leak, stock tire blow out on the Highway, etorque failure, and now this engine knock. I am beyond frustrated. Don’t really want to trade but at this point I feel like I don’t have a choice.

Volunteer1589

Reaction score
Friend of my wife got NTB to drop a new engine in her Infiniti. If Firestone is at fault, they have insurance for claims like this. I think you're going the proper route having the dealer diagnose. If the dealer rejects the warranty claim be ready to go a few rounds with Firestone.
I’m thinking I’ll have to hire an attorney if Firestone is at fault. I doubt they’ll just agree to cover the cost. Really don’t want it to come to that but my gloves are on ready to fight.

Volunteer1589

Reaction score
Just wondering, did you check for (enough) oil via dipstick? Wouldn't be the first time some kid messed that up.
I did not. Really wish I had thought of this before dropping it off at the dealer. I had some kid 10+ years ago forget to screw the cap on after an oil change. Got a call a few hours later when they couldn’t figure out why they had an extra cap laying around the shop.

U

User_119824

So far I’ve had the back sliding window leak, third brake light leak, stock tire blow out on the Highway, etorque failure, and now this engine knock. I am beyond frustrated. Don’t really want to trade but at this point I feel like I don’t have a choice.
Wow.

Man if I had those issues, I'd trade it. I feel your pain on that. I hope whether you keep it or trade it that you get to enjoy some trouble-free motoring soon.

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
Yikes. Did the knock come out of nowhere or was it a progression from a small knock to this? That certainly doesn’t sound right or good.

Volunteer1589

Reaction score
Yikes. Did the knock come out of nowhere or was it a progression from a small knock to this? That certainly doesn’t sound right or good.
It started completely out of nowhere. Driving home from work about 13 miles into my 17 mile drive. 2 lane merge into 1 lane on highway, traffic backed up so barely moving. Heard the knock and thought thank god it’s not me. Few minutes later I realized it was in fact me when I accelerated.

JGO

Reaction score
That sounds like the MDS system failure. My Charger R/T has the same sound. Solution is to by a MDS delete kit, if everything else is good with the engine.

Volunteer1589

Reaction score
That sounds like the MDS system failure. My Charger R/T has the same sound. Solution is to by a MDS delete kit, if everything else is good with the engine.
I try to never use MDS. I always adjust the gear limiter to 8 so it’s off. Hoping to get a call from the dealer tomorrow with good news but not holding my breath.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I try to never use MDS. I always adjust the gear limiter to 8 so it’s off. Hoping to get a call from the dealer tomorrow with good news but not holding my breath.
Maybe so, but you still have the MDS lifters unless you replaced them (which you wouldn't of done without getting MDS turned off)

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a 2020 Laramie 1500 4x4 with the 5.7. Truck started a bad engine knock on the way home from work. It’s a 17 mile trip one way and did not start until I was almost home.
Crawled under the truck and had my wife rev a few times so I know it’s not an exhaust manifold. It seems to be louder at start up even though engine is already warm.
Truck has 31.5k miles and run 87 octane. No engine issues prior to this. Any idea what could be the cause? Of course I am thinking the worst. Taking it to the dealer tomorrow. I tried to post a video but can’t get it to work.
Hey there,

If you're still looking for assistance with this, please reach out to us. We're available via direct messaging.

Callie
Ram Cares

Volunteer1589

Reaction score
Update: Called dealer handling the service. Would not tear down the engine until all service records were sent from original dealer. I can understand that but they told me they would get the records? Haven’t heard from dealer until today. Anyway I get all the records and send them over. Estimated time to tear down the engine is next week. Still no loaner vehicle. If warranty is not honored I’m out even more money for engine tear down and diagnostic fees. Ugh.

Volunteer1589

Reaction score
100% sounds like lifter tick.
Interestingly enough service advisor mentioned camshaft and lifters on the phone today. Engine has not been torn down yet so not confirmed. I’m guessing they have seen it happen before.

Volunteer1589

Reaction score
Hey there,

If you're still looking for assistance with this, please reach out to us. We're available via direct messaging.

Callie
Ram Cares
If factory power train warranty is not honored, I will be reaching out. Truck has had issues a handful of times now. I get things can happen but at this point it’s one too many.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interestingly enough service advisor mentioned camshaft and lifters on the phone today. Engine has not been torn down yet so not confirmed. I’m guessing they have seen it happen before.
Yep, it's the classic "HEMI Tick" caused from a worn cam lobe and busted lifter. If they ran a scan tool, they should be able to see misfires as well.

Users who are viewing this thread