5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 5.7 Engine Knock

Volunteer1589

Reaction score
Yep, it's the classic "HEMI Tick" caused from a worn cam lobe and busted lifter. If they ran a scan tool, they should be able to see misfires as well.
Is it normal to happen after only 31k miles? Truck did feel underpowered as I limped it home. I do know for certain they have not ran any scan tools or diagnostics yet. Makes me nervous that even if it’s fixed or engine replaced that it will happen again.

frisby5

Reaction score
So i have a new 22 BH and it has only 970 miles i am gonna change the oil at 1500 ,,should i use 5w 30 to help prevent this and turn off my MDS ? I plan on keeping my truck for many years

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
So i have a new 22 BH and it has only 970 miles i am gonna change the oil at 1500 ,,should i use 5w 30 to help prevent this and turn off my MDS ? I plan on keeping my truck for many years
Use 0w20. You can turn off mds might help a little, but replacing the mds lifters would be better (you can Google mds delete kits)
You will need to get your ecm unlocked to be able to apply a tune to disable mds (well worth it imo)

Is it normal to happen after only 31k miles? Truck did feel underpowered as I limped it home. I do know for certain they have not ran any scan tools or diagnostics yet. Makes me nervous that even if it’s fixed or engine replaced that it will happen again.
Yep. I would expect it under 60k miles if it was going to happen.
Not much you can do about it happening again, getting a new engine is about all you can hope for if it broke stuff. Lilkely be a remanned engine which is better then a new engine just make sure the engine has its own warranty outside of your trucks power train warranty. 5 year is typical. Already through the breaking period and any bad parts replaced at the factory not the dealership trying to fix it

frisby5

Reaction score
Use 0w20. You can turn off mds might help a little, but replacing the mds lifters would be better (you can Google mds delete kits)
You will need to get your ecm unlocked to be able to apply a tune to disable mds (well worth it imo)

Yep. I would expect it under 60k miles if it was going to happen.
Not much you can do about it happening again, getting a new engine is about all you can hope for if it broke stuff. Lilkely be a remanned engine which is better then a new engine just make sure the engine has its own warranty outside of your trucks power train warranty. 5 year is typical. Already through the breaking period and any bad parts replaced at the factory not the dealership trying to fix it
Anyone on the Ram forum installed a MDS delete kit on a new truck? I probably would have a shop do it.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Anyone on the Ram forum installed a MDS delete kit on a new truck? I probably would have a shop do it.
I hear it's not too bad to do, but I also have never worked on an engine so I would have a shop do it for me.
I have MDS disabled, and will likely just replace lifters if I think I am going to have a problem around the 50k mark. By 100k I would probably yank and replace them just in case.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey there,

If you decide to address this with your local dealership, please reach out to us. We can provide an additional layer of assistance and advocate for you while your vehicle is at the dealership.

Callie
Ram Cares

frisby5

Reaction score
I hear it's not too bad to do, but I also have never worked on an engine so I would have a shop do it for me.
I have MDS disabled, and will likely just replace lifters if I think I am going to have a problem around the 50k mark. By 100k I would probably yank and replace them just in case.
My friend has a 2019 Ram classic 5.7 and right past the 100k mark she has the hemi tick and its pretty noticeable at start up ,it goes away after about 5 minutes of warming up.

Scram1500

Reaction score
My friend has a 2019 Ram classic 5.7 and right past the 100k mark she has the hemi tick and its pretty noticeable at start up ,it goes away after about 5 minutes of warming up.
That's most likely a cracked exhaust manifold (or broken exhaust stud) and not a bad lifter

frisby5

Reaction score
That's most likely a cracked exhaust manifold (or broken exhaust stud) and not a bad lifter
Thats what i thought but i havnt be able to find any sign of it on the manifold yet.

Volunteer1589

Reaction score
Update- dealer gave me a 2018 Bighorn for a loaner vehicle. Much better than the Jeep I had last time. Still no ETA of engine tear down. Best guess is sometime next week.

Volunteer1589

Reaction score
Update- Dealer confirmed truck will need a new engine. There’s metal shavings/pieces throughout from camshaft and lifter failure. The warranty will be honored and claim process has started. Service advisor verbally confirmed I will have a lifetime powertrain warranty since it’s a full replacement. I said I need that in writing. No ETA of when it’s fixed but at least it will be covered.

HemiDude

Reaction score
Update- Dealer confirmed truck will need a new engine. There’s metal shavings/pieces throughout from camshaft and lifter failure. The warranty will be honored and claim process has started. Service advisor verbally confirmed I will have a lifetime powertrain warranty since it’s a full replacement. I said I need that in writing. No ETA of when it’s fixed but at least it will be covered.
Hooray for small victories!

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Service advisor verbally confirmed I will have a lifetime powertrain warranty since it’s a full replacement. I said I need that in writing. No ETA of when it’s fixed but at least it will be covered.
Jeeze lifetime warranty.
Would be awesome to get that in writing, I believe it could be true though because they used to offer lifetime warranties

Now just don't let that truck ever rust out and keep it for another 25 years.

Volunteer1589

Reaction score
Jeeze lifetime warranty.
Would be awesome to get that in writing, I believe it could be true though because they used to offer lifetime warranties

Now just don't let that truck ever rust out and keep it for another 25 years.
I’ve been looking around for trade options but if the lifetime is real then I will most likely hang on to it forever.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve been looking around for trade options but if the lifetime is real then I will most likely hang on to it forever.
Yeah, see how she runs with the new engine then decide if you want to trade it or keep it. Lifetime warranty is nice if you planned to keep it long term. Good to see they are taking care of you.

Volunteer1589

Reaction score
Update- I was told dealer is planning to pull the engine this week. They are still dealing with the claim process with Ram corporate (pictures, reports, etc). Service advisor said they are hoping to have the new engine by the end of next week or the week after. It will be 1 month this week so I am hoping that’s the case.
I asked again about the lifetime powertrain; they confirmed it will be on the paperwork when it’s all done. Not going to lie though, the trade thoughts are back. I’m 50/50 on keeping it.
Considering the previous problems I don’t want to be on the hook to pay for something out of pocket soon when my 3 year / 36k warranty is out.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Update- I was told dealer is planning to pull the engine this week. They are still dealing with the claim process with Ram corporate (pictures, reports, etc). Service advisor said they are hoping to have the new engine by the end of next week or the week after. It will be 1 month this week so I am hoping that’s the case.
I asked again about the lifetime powertrain; they confirmed it will be on the paperwork when it’s all done. Not going to lie though, the trade thoughts are back. I’m 50/50 on keeping it.
Considering the previous problems I don’t want to be on the hook to pay for something out of pocket soon when my 3 year / 36k warranty is out.
I had my 2014 Kia Optima's engine replaced at 53k miles for free. I got a 10 year warranty on it after it was replaced.

I sold it 3 months later because I was worried something else besides the engine would go.
Never had any problems with that car until the engine went.

Volunteer1589

Reaction score
I had my 2014 Kia Optima's engine replaced at 53k miles for free. I got a 10 year warranty on it after it was replaced.

I sold it 3 months later because I was worried something else besides the engine would go.
Never had any problems with that car until the engine went.
That’s pretty much where I’m at. What will break next?
Of course trading is a gamble too. I’ve decided not to make a decision one way or the other until I get the truck back. Although I have found 2 other dealers in the area offering lifetime powertrain new and used, any make or model. It’s tempting.

Volunteer1589

Reaction score
That's bonkers.
If you do trade it in, make sure you don't take a loss.
All pickup trucks keep value like crazy.
I’ll probably end up taking a loss regardless after the lift, tires, exhaust, and a few other things.
I got a good deal on it in December 2020. Always paid it down as much as I could. I don’t owe very much on it at all now. Just worried the trade in value will tank after the engine replacement and being a quad cab instead of crew. Might be better to keep than trade. We’ll see.

Edit: Forgot to mention the ridiculous interest rates. I have 2% currently. Not sure I can get anything close to that now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/