5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 vs. 2020 RAM 1500

kblast523

Reaction score
The sport did hold the gears longer like the tow mode, but the throttle response was different. Sport mode just make the whole truck "crackle" with a performance feel.
Tried Sport mode on mine one time. Preferred the less abrupt shifts in normal and tow haul mode. Used tow haul every time I towed, which was close to 20K miles during ownership. The F150 felt different than the RAM. It felt 'more car like' and didn't have the 'power dome' created by the dash and hood. That was the first thing my wife noticed, and she's been riding in trucks since about 1976 on a regular basis.

WhatToDo?

Reaction score
Rebel related wants (for me): Front view camera, split tailgate (confirmed), option for NOT having a red interior, driver seat adjustment memory (I’m needy).

ppowell1983

Reaction score
Tried Sport mode on mine one time. Preferred the less abrupt shifts in normal and tow haul mode. Used tow haul every time I towed, which was close to 20K miles during ownership. The F150 felt different than the RAM. It felt 'more car like' and didn't have the 'power dome' created by the dash and hood. That was the first thing my wife noticed, and she's been riding in trucks since about 1976 on a regular basis.
How do you get into sport mode? I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited?

DraKhen99

Reaction score
How do you get into sport mode? I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited?

I believe they were talking about using Sport mode on their F-150s.

To the others discussing fuel economy, it's been well-established that the Rebel with its lifted suspension and shorter (numerically higher) gearing will not get even close to the window sticker rating. In fact, you can pretty much deduct 1 mpg for 3.92 versus 3.21, and another 1mpg for heavier trim levels / more optioned trucks, versus no or low-option trucks.

Yes, these engines break in over time - currently my lie-o-meter says 16.3, and that's after almost 3,100 miles, mostly highway, almost all commuting, and a tiny bit of towing (60 miles).

-John

ppowell1983

Reaction score
I believe they were talking about using Sport mode on their F-150s.

To the others discussing fuel economy, it's been well-established that the Rebel with its lifted suspension and shorter (numerically higher) gearing will not get even close to the window sticker rating. In fact, you can pretty much deduct 1 mpg for 3.92 versus 3.21, and another 1mpg for heavier trim levels / more optioned trucks, versus no or low-option trucks.

Yes, these engines break in over time - currently my lie-o-meter says 16.3, and that's after almost 3,100 miles, mostly highway, almost all commuting, and a tiny bit of towing (60 miles).

-John

I knew that the Rebel with the 3.92 gear doesn't get anywhere close to the stated MPG. I had a 2018 Ram Rebel before getting my 2019 Ram Limited. My Ram Limited has the 3.92 gear and limited slip rear diff, so essentially it's the same driveline as my 2018 Rebel without the 2" lift, 33" tires and the badass looks. I was wondering if there's a button or some feature I could hit that would make the throttle a bit more responsive.

DraKhen99

Reaction score
I knew that the Rebel with the 3.92 gear doesn't get anywhere close to the stated MPG. I had a 2018 Ram Rebel before getting my 2019 Ram Limited. My Ram Limited has the 3.92 gear and limited slip rear diff, so essentially it's the same driveline as my 2018 Rebel without the 2" lift, 33" tires and the badass looks. I was wondering if there's a button or some feature I could hit that would make the throttle a bit more responsive.

Nope, just the throttle. You can try Tow/Haul mode, pretty sure it holds lower gears longer in that mode, but it won't do anything (that I'm aware of) to the throttle response.

I'm in the same boat as you - Limited w/3.92 and limited-slip diff. Came from a 2015 F-150 w/3.5 EcoBoost - that truck was fast!

-John

ppowell1983

Reaction score
Nope, just the throttle. You can try Tow/Haul mode, pretty sure it holds lower gears longer in that mode, but it won't do anything (that I'm aware of) to the throttle response.

I'm in the same boat as you - Limited w/3.92 and limited-slip diff. Came from a 2015 F-150 w/3.5 EcoBoost - that truck was fast!

-John
I have a video of my Rebel beating a 2016 F150 Lariat with the 3.5 ecoboost. it wasn't even close. That F150 had the 3.21 gear.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The sport mode is a reference to a stupid f150 thing. All it does is change the shift points and throttle sensitivity. There’s no magic there, it just keeps the truck at higher rpm for faster response

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a video of my Rebel beating a 2016 F150 Lariat with the 3.5 ecoboost. it wasn't even close. That F150 had the 3.21 gear.

I don’t believe that for a second lol. An EB thats actually launched correctly will blow the doors off this thing. They run crazy times with just a tune, and even some of the stock ones. PLUS they don’t have 33” mud tires dragging them down.

ppowell1983

Reaction score
I don’t believe that for a second lol. An EB thats actually launched correctly will blow the doors off this thing. They run crazy times with just a tune, and even some of the stock ones. PLUS they don’t have 33” mud tires dragging them down.
If you give me your email address Ill send you a link to the video. I couldn't believe it when it happened either.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you give me your email address Ill send you a link to the video. I couldn't believe it when it happened either.

I don’t care that much. Assuming that it happened, that’s just a false positive. Likely caused by a noob driver who mashed the gas, lagged, spun, shift, lost race. Enjoy your victory.

ppowell1983

Reaction score
I don’t care that much. Assuming that it happened, that’s just a false positive. Likely caused by a noob driver who mashed the gas, lagged, spun, shift, lost race. Enjoy your victory.
Thanks, just to be fair I also raced a 2017 EcoBoost with the 3.55 gear and 10 speed and got my *** handed to me.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

-John
RAM can’t really compete with the ecoboost engines low onset torque powerband regardless of the 3.92 gearing however that’s apples to oranges. No non-turbo motor is in the same “class” as the dual turbo’d units. Ford rolled the dice that twin scroll turbo’s would give the average buyer the performance and relative economy that they wanted. FCA has had plenty of time to determine the direction that they wanted to go and evidently did not feel that an improvement in the non-aspirated hemi hp and tq numbers were needed.
Note - no other maker, to include the Japanese, have gone with the turbos so hmmm. Not sure
My 2015 with the “baby” 2.7 was quick as well as having plenty of tq for a typical half-ton, while the newer 3.5 ecoboost torque is a monster for towing. Longevity may be a question but that’s what the extended warranty is for.

I didn't buy the 19’ 5th gen RAM for the motor, it was the ride and the interior I wanted.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
RAM can’t really compete with the ecoboost engines low onset torque powerband regardless of the 3.92 gearing however that’s apples to oranges. No non-turbo motor is in the same “class” as the dual turbo’d units. Ford rolled the dice that twin scroll turbo’s would give the average buyer the performance and relative economy that they wanted. FCA has had plenty of time to determine the direction that they wanted to go and evidently did not feel that an improvement in the non-aspirated hemi hp and tq numbers were needed.
Note - no other maker, to include the Japanese, have gone with the turbos so hmmm. Not sure
My 2015 with the “baby” 2.7 was quick as well as having plenty of tq for a typical half-ton, while the newer 3.5 ecoboost torque is a monster for towing. Longevity may be a question but that’s what the extended warranty is for.

I didn't buy the 19’ 5th gen RAM for the motor, it was the ride and the interior I wanted.
Pretty much perfect explanation.
I also bought my truck for the ride, interior, and features, and while not as quick as the EB, the Hemi is no slouch and has plenty of power to move our trucks in my opinion.
No complaints.

Cheers,

DraKhen99

Reaction score

Yep - I'm with you - ride and interior. Frankly, I got tired of the build quality issues my F-150s were suffering, and decided it was time to switch brands. The new RAM 1500 just struck me as gorgeous inside, and handsome outside. I still prefer the overall exterior of the F-150, but the RAM is growing on me.

-John

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Since everyone is talking about this... how about this new I6 turbo motor that is coming allegedly!? Guess it’s not going to be 2020. Maybe 2021?

Dr Teeth

Reaction score
One improvement that I'd like to see is a few more bands on the graphic equalizer. I've got the Harmon Kardon sound system, which has something like 19 speakers and 900 watts... but the equalizer is just three bands: Bass, Mid, and Treble. Surely it can't be that difficult to give us a few more bands to allow for proper tuning.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
One improvement that I'd like to see is a few more bands on the graphic equalizer. I've got the Harmon Kardon sound system, which has something like 19 speakers and 900 watts... but the equalizer is just three bands: Bass, Mid, and Treble. Surely it can't be that difficult to give us a few more bands to allow for proper tuning.
Agree, but if they did, you’d have no reason to upgrade... I’m sure it’s coming :p

Users who are viewing this thread