5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 vs. 2020 RAM 1500

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Right. So they did not "bring back" the June rebates (or, at least that particular thing doesn't mean they did). That is only for Big Horns.

The June rebates were on all trim levels.

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
notice it says select too. Could mean only on the oldest inventory, something they do a lot. Best way to check is to go to the shopping tools page, click offer by model, change to whatever trim you are buying, and boom. Those are the rebates you will get.
I got my truck for $4,300 off of MSRP (rough invoice) and $8,700 in rebates. When I ordered the truck in late May it was actually only $5,500 in rebates, but I got lucky upon delivery. You pay taxes on rebates.

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
You do? What state? I didn’t pay any taxes on any rebates.
In Hamilton County, Ohio. I sat and did the math for almost an hour on everything I signed. Total sales tax was 7% of the $8,7## higher than I anticipated it to be. The salesperson said yeah the rebates are taxed. Even the finance guy didn’t “know” that.

Do your math on tax and get back to me. Should be interesting to see lol

Like lease paperwork, it was not laid out for me to have noticed easily. I just did the math by hand all over a scrap piece of paperwork until I fully knew what I was getting into.

Only thing I still don’t truly get is that there are two different APRs listed on my closing docs (roughly 5.2% and 5.4%). And then a third, fortunately lower, one listed on my Chase loan docs (4.8%). I was even quoted 6.3% before we printed out the paperwork to sign, but it went down. It is a commercial loan for my business to hold title of the vehicle and I am the personal guarantor on the loan (which is why the APR is so high). I wonder if the doc fees, GAP insurance, etc. fill into the cost of the APR or something to that extent. Still no clue.

Last edited:

MQQSE

Reaction score
I realize the RAM 1500 was just redesigned, so I expect any changes to be minimal between the years. The only thing that I can think of is the split tailgate option, which is why I am asking this question.

TIA.

Look for small headlight changes and rear tail light changes. I believe Limited will have a more LED open look instead of the bubbled projector style. The LED rear tails will be more popped out around the edges. Also side trims will look slightly different.

kblast523

Reaction score
Texas sales tax based on Retail delivery price reported on actual contract. Mine happened to be $36,855 less trade $24,323 allowance. Trade difference and taxable amount $12,532. Texas sales tax on my trade was $1,065.22 (8.5%). The $36,855 was after application of $8,802 of rebates and dealer discounts.

PT1911

Reaction score
In Hamilton County, Ohio. I sat and did the math for almost an hour on everything I signed. Total sales tax was 7% of the $8,7## higher than I anticipated it to be. The salesperson said yeah the rebates are taxed. Even the finance guy didn’t “know” that.

Do your math on tax and get back to me. Should be interesting to see lol
I just went and looked at my sales doc, and did my math. :)

I was ONLY taxed on the difference of the sale price of my truck, and my trade in.

Sticker was $67,550, I paid $47,950. My trade was $44,000, so a difference of $3,950. The TOTAL tax I paid on my sales sheet was $256.75......which is 6.5% of $3,950.

No matter how you swing the numbers, that’s not getting taxed on the rebates.

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
I just went and looked at my sales doc, and did my math. :)

I was ONLY taxed on the difference of the sale price of my truck, and my trade in.

Sticker was $67,550, I paid $47,950. My trade was $44,000, so a difference of $3,950. The TOTAL tax I paid on my sales sheet was $256.75......which is 6.5% of $3,950.

No matter how you swing the numbers, that’s not getting taxed on the rebates.
In Ohio, you pay tax on rebates. It is different from state to state.

“Customer cash rebates and other incentives reduce the purchase price of the car. But most states charge sales tax on the full purchase amount before the rebate is applied. For a $25,000 car with a $500 rebate, that reduces the sale price to $24,500, but in most cases you'll pay tax on the full $25,000.”

More than anything, I am astonished how much you got off of sticker price lol. I think I had $13,000 off all said and done, but almost $9,000 of that was in rebates, so less $600 in tax.

PT1911

Reaction score
In Ohio, you pay tax on rebates. It is different from state to state.

“Customer cash rebates and other incentives reduce the purchase price of the car. But most states charge sales tax on the full purchase amount before the rebate is applied. For a $25,000 car with a $500 rebate, that reduces the sale price to $24,500, but in most cases you'll pay tax on the full $25,000.”

More than anything, I am astonished how much you got off of sticker price lol. I think I had $13,000 off all said and done, but almost $9,000 of that was in rebates, so less $600 in tax.

Yeah, I thought it was a pretty good deal. :) A friend of mine bought a Laramie in May and paid about 2K less than I did for a Limited.

So in Texas, do they take sticker price, minus trade, and tax you on that amount?

King_

Reaction score
Any other changes available? I wish they'd offer the black appearance package on all the other colors...specifically white LOL

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any other changes available? I wish they'd offer the black appearance package on all the other colors...specifically white LOL

I believe it has been reported that this package will be available with other colors for 2020.

rrbhokies

Reaction score
I believe it has been reported that this package will be available with other colors for 2020.
Would have saved me some time and money. I'm in about $200 to replace all the black badges and emblems. Hoping to use plasti-dip or matte black paint on the Hemi 5.7 badges on the sport hood since you have to replace the entire sport hood. Then I'll try plasti dipping the exhaust tips and see how that goes, and then the tires. I'm determined one way or another to remove every instance of chrome from this bad boy!!!

Jims380da

Reaction score

It is currently available on the following colors for 2020 model year... White, Ivory White, Black, Flame Red, Granite, and Silver on the Laramie

rrbhokies

Reaction score
It is currently available on the following colors for 2020 model year... White, Ivory White, Black, Flame Red, Granite, and Silver on the Laramie
I guess $200+ well spent then because my truck is Max Steel and there will be no Black package love for it in 2020............ That's fine. Makes mine that much more unique...... Time to get out the fishing line and goo gone!!

kblast523

Reaction score
Binaryslave said:
Can I ask how? I was getting 19mpg overall average in my 2016 f150 2.7 eco boost 4x4 lariat.

Im now in a 2019 , ram platinum 4x4 hemi seeing 13mpg. Truck only has 600 miles on it I read it improves over time. Im really hoping so!

First mine was 2wd XLT, about 200 lbs lighter than yours. K&N filter helped some (maybe), 44 lbs in the tires REALLY helped, hard bed cover probably did too. Learned how to hypermile in a 2005 Prius, works on non-hybrids too. ALWAYS burned premium, mileage dropped into the 15 range around town if using regular. Synthetic oil, Valvoline Synpower always.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Binaryslave said:
Can I ask how? I was getting 19mpg overall average in my 2016 f150 2.7 eco boost 4x4 lariat.

Im now in a 2019 , ram platinum 4x4 hemi seeing 13mpg. Truck only has 600 miles on it I read it improves over time. Im really hoping so!

First mine was 2wd XLT, about 200 lbs lighter than yours. K&N filter helped some (maybe), 44 lbs in the tires REALLY helped, hard bed cover probably did too. Learned how to hypermile in a 2005 Prius, works on non-hybrids too. ALWAYS burned premium, mileage dropped into the 15 range around town if using regular. Synthetic oil, Valvoline Synpower always.

Similar to me, I traded in my 2015 F150 XLT 2.7L Eco, got about 18 mpg in mixed driving using 87 octane. I'm barely getting 13.5 mpg in my Rebel with 89 octane.

The Ecoboost is also a bit faster, especially miss the sport setting on the transmission, I would love to have that in the RAM. I miss the mpg and that little extra in sportiness, but I absolutely love my RAM. Such a sweet overall package and sounds a lot better :)

But the big issue with me is the stock 33" tires and 3.92 rear axle, no way I'm ever going to get good mpg, but I know that going in. If you have the 3.92 rear axle on your truck, you aren't going to come close the to rated mpg that was on your window sticker.

rrbhokies

Reaction score
The Ecoboost is also a bit faster, especially miss the sport setting on the transmission, I would love to have that in the RAM. I miss the mpg and that little extra in sportiness, but I absolutely love my RAM. Such a sweet overall package and sounds a lot better :)

I don't know if you're supposed to use it on a regular basis, but the tow/haul mode does seem to adjust the shift points, especially keeping the truck in lower gears longer. It's not a sport mode, but I have found that it feels faster off the line when accelerating from a stop or a slow roll.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don't know if you're supposed to use it on a regular basis, but the tow/haul mode does seem to adjust the shift points, especially keeping the truck in lower gears longer. It's not a sport mode, but I have found that it feels faster off the line when accelerating from a stop or a slow roll.

I'll give that a try as well. Probably the reason why I haven't is because my F150 had both sport and tow modes which acted differently. The sport did hold the gears longer like the tow mode, but the throttle response was different. Sport mode just make the whole truck "crackle" with a performance feel.

Users who are viewing this thread