5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram Rebel Lemon...how can I give it back?

OldSkull

Reaction score
2019 Ram Rebel E-Torque with 4000 miles on it.
Gets 8-11 MPGs since I got it. It sometimes has a plastic/rubber burning smell within the cab And now its developed a Wet cardboard kind of smell coming from vents. It also gears down to 1st or 2nd gear when you take your foot off the gas sometimes causing a huge drag. This is my 3rd Ram in 5 years. Honestly none of them ran like this truck. It’s messed up. Something serious is wrong with it. The in cabin smells keep my wife and kids out of it.
Then 2 days ago it quit running altogether.
It cranks for 15 seconds then makes a loud Clank.
But won’t start. Had it towed to dealer.
It’s been to the dealer twice for the MPG issues.
I’m DONE with this truck...it’s a Lease and I want to give it back. How do I go about getting out of this truck? Is there a legal process or should I just go in and ask that they pay off the lease so I can get something else? $450 / month for this truck is a sickening at this point.
I’ve only had the truck since November and it hasn’t ran right since day 1. Dealer mechanic told me it takes 15,000 miles to break in a Hemi which I know is BS. How can I get out of this?
Can I tell the dealer that I don’t want it back until it gets the advertised MPGs in the contract and all issues are fixed? Or pay off lease balance and let me get something else? I don’t want to go the lawyer route but I will if I have to. I hate to be an *** about it but this Truck isn’t right.
Thanks

Attachments

• CA75D70B-62E8-4ED7-99A1-CCA7B65788C1.jpeg
    CA75D70B-62E8-4ED7-99A1-CCA7B65788C1.jpeg
    204.1 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:

alangsam

Reaction score
Gets 8-11 MPGs since I got it. It sometimes has a plastic/rubber burning smell within the cab And now its developed a Wet cardboard kind of smell coming from vents. It also gears down to 1st or 2nd gear when you take your foot off the gas sometimes causing a huge drag. This is my 3rd Ram in 5 years. Honestly none of them ran like this truck. It’s messed up. Something serious is wrong with it. The in cabin smells keep my wife and kids out of it.
I’m DONE with this truck...it’s a Lease and I want to give it back. How do I go about getting out of this truck? Is there a legal process or should I just go in and ask that they pay off the lease so I can get something else? $450 / month for this truck is a sickening at this point.
I’ve only had the truck since November and it hasn’t ran right since day 1. Dealer mechanic told me it takes 15,000 miles to break in a Hemi which I know is BS. How can I get out of this?
Can I tell the dealer that I don’t want it back until it gets the advertised MPGs in the contract and all issues are fixed? Or pay off lease balance and let me get something else? I don’t want to go the lawyer route but I will if I have to. I hate to be an *** about it but this Truck isn’t right.
Thanks

Each state has a lemon law
You have to research the requirements.
As a general rule the truck has to be in the shop for the same issue 3x and for over 30 total days. Each state is different however.
The wet cardboard sounds like either the leaky firewall or the sunroof drains
Issues.
The burning smell could be the etorque battery.
The 1 and 2 gear thing is the regen from etorque. There is a tsb for that one as well. Also transmission tsb’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldSkull

Reaction score
Each state has a lemon law
You have to research the requirements.
As a general rule the truck has to be in the shop for the same issue 3x and for over 30 total days. Each state is different however.
The wet cardboard sounds like either the leaky firewall or the sunroof drains
Issues.
The burning smell could be the etorque battery.
The 1 and 2 gear thing is the regen from etorque. There is a tsb for that one as well. Also transmission tsb’s

It doesn’t have a sun roof so it may be leaky firewall. The burning smell comes and goes, but it seems to be coming from the back so the battery makes sense. The MPGs have been 8-11 since I got it. Can I tell the dealer to keep it until everything’s fixed and MPGs are close to advertised MPGs in contract?
And the truck is Dead right now. It cranks but wont start, the dealer hasn’t called me since it was towed there 2 days ago.
Having driven 3 Rams prior to this one, I can honestly say that this truck is messed up. It doesn’t run right.
It’s my first (and Last) that has the E Torque.
Maybe that’s the culprit here. Regardless I’m done with the truck. And if my dealer don’t work something out with me then I’m done with Rams altogether. It’s a Brand new truck...It’s been screwed up since day 1. The dealer mechanics keep telling me I have to “Break it in to 15,000 miles, or it’s running bad because it’s Cold out”.
I’m done with the BS excuses. It’s a crappy truck with issues and I don’t want it back.
I realize I’m probably screwed...it’s a shame because I was a loyal Ram driver for 8 years, leasing a new truck every 3-4 years.
A Brand New Truck shouldn’t have these issues. And for the price that we pay for these trucks we should expect to get what we pay for. A nice truck that drives and runs as advertised.
And to top it off the dealer dont even have
loaner car to give me to drive lol.

Last edited:

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You are likely out of luck on the mileage.... the EPA MGPs is calculated from the model tested... which is likely the lowest trim with the least options... not your configured truck, and it is still an estimate, not a guarantee.

As far as far as the other items, follow your state lemon law like @alangsam stated...

pinkerton

Reaction score
Thanks
I feel like you're best to follow your instinct not to pick up the truck until all issues are fixed. If I were in your shoes, I'd arrange for alternate transportation to cover you for the near future and keep that lined up even after the dealer calls and tells you the truck is ready. When you pick up the truck, I'd check for any signs that your problems still exist and then return (for example, you can check gas mileage in a matter of just a few minutes). As a fellow Ram owner, I am sorry you're going through this.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think you are well within your rights to be frustrated and upset. The bar for having a dealership accept a return is very high, as are the lemon laws. Your mpg issue is an absolute non-starter and I wouldn’t waste your time on it. Unless there is a class action against FCA for fraud, individual mpg complaints will fall on deaf ears. The other issues your having with smells and ignition (fail) have been documented and covered under various TSBs that you can find listed in the TSB thread. You should bring copies to the dealership and hopefully they will resolve. You can also DM @RamCares here on the forum and hopefully they can reach out to the dealership on your behalf, helping them identify and recitify your issues in a more timely fashion. Hopefully that reduces your (rightful) aggravation and gets you enjoying your Rebel. I know that might not be the answers you want to hear but based on my experience I think it’s your best bet for getting to a happy place. Give them a chance to make it right, maybe it’s possible and maybe it’s not. Get ramcares involved so you avoid the possibility that the dealership chases their tail in these issues because some dealerships are more experienced than others.

OldSkull

Reaction score
Still waiting to hear back from dealer. Been 2 days since the truck was towed to the dealer. I’m hoping they will allow me to trade it in for a different truck and not take too big of a hit.
I’m a loyal customer and lease a new truck through this dealer every 3-4 years . I know that don’t count for much these days but I’m hoping it does.

OldSkull

Reaction score
Do you guys/gals have any idea what’s causing the it to Not start?

OldSkull

Reaction score
Tow truck driver checked battery and it was good. He was stumped. I’m thinking you’re right with the E Torque system since we’re experiencing burning smells and gearing down issues.
The dealer has yet to reach out since they got it 2 days ago. I gave them an earful so maybe I ticked them off. But damn it’s frustrating. And they talk to me like I’m stupid with BS excuses lol.
I’m not as angry as My Post Probably sounds... just incredibly frustrated...apparently Zimmer Jeep Dodge don’t value me or my business.

alangsam

Reaction score
Tow truck driver checked battery and it was good. He was stumped. I’m thinking you’re right with the E Torque system since we’re experiencing burning smells and gearing down issues.
The dealer has yet to reach out since they got it 2 days ago. I gave them an earful so maybe I ticked them off. But **** it’s frustrating. And they talk to me like I’m stupid with BS excuses lol.
I’m not as angry as My Post Probably sounds... just incredibly frustrated...apparently Zimmer Jeep Dodge don’t value me or my business.

Give it time. It will be easier to get it fixed than the lemon process. I would give them a chance. All cars have issues at some point and some more than others. It’s how it’s gonna be handled from here. Try to be patient and get them working for you. They get paid by fca to solve the warranty issues.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Since it's a lease, get out now. Talk to the general manager and get out with as little hit to the wallet as possible. The Rebel is a popular truck and they'll have no problems getting rid of it. Go non-etorque next time and maybe change trim level... but honestly, driving my trouble free Rebel is the most fun I have with my clothes on.

Don't make lease payments on a truck that sits in a shop and not on your driveway. Go while the iron is hot and your truck is on their lot... ball is in your court.

OldSkull

Reaction score
Since it's a lease, get out now. Talk to the general manager and get out with as little hit to the wallet as possible. The Rebel is a popular truck and they'll have no problems getting rid of it. Go non-etorque next time and maybe change trim level... but honestly, driving my trouble free Rebel is the most fun I have with my clothes on.

Don't make lease payments on a truck that sits in a shop and not on your driveway. Go while the iron is hot and your truck is on their lot... ball is in your court.
That’s my feeling too. I want to try and get out of it with as little bit as possible.

Jtc411

Reaction score

This is bad advice. Not trying to be rude but the dealership doesn’t care if you make your payment. It’s just gonna mess with your credit. I would never advise not making your payment.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This is bad advice. Not trying to be rude but the dealership doesn’t care if you make your payment. It’s just gonna mess with your credit. I would never advise not making your payment.

I don’t think he meant “don’t make the payments” literally, more of a why would you make payments on something you’re not driving.

Users who are viewing this thread