5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 19-Speaker Harman Kardon® Premium Sound system

Slim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd be perfectly happy if it were just as loud as the Alpine in my 2015

Ksilva211

Reaction score
So after really taking some time with mine and playing with the equalizer and all the settings and different sources etc. anyone who is disappointed with the volume should connect your phone through the USB port and stream music that way. In my opinion it is a night and day difference from playing the radio satellite or fm. The quality of sound is great no matter what. But to get that volume usb cable and music streaming is where you need to be

D

Deleted member103

SoCal Truck said:
Lou - Get out the Cerwin Vegas Bro. Used to play Dire Straits Money for Nothing and the sound would go right through you.
SoCal does it again . . . ah memories . . . CV's, wow ! Reminds me of Radio Shack - my very 1st "stereo receiver system" a whopping 80 watts, but it had FM with the AM and "true" stereo separation ! Remember those days ? Yea I know stay on topic . . . but it is Freaky Friday !?

D

Deleted member103

Ksilva211 said:
So after really taking some time with mine and playing with the equalizer and all the settings and different sources etc. anyone who is disappointed with the volume should connect your phone through the USB port and stream music that way. In my opinion it is a night and day difference from playing the radio satellite or fm. The quality of sound is great no matter what. But to get that volume usb cable and music streaming is where you need to be
When listening to YUR Favorite tunes it's perhaps "easier" to "enjoy" . . . . . the HK SHOULD work under ALL situations equally ! Equality Rules !

SoCal Truck

Reaction score
All,

I went today to see a Limited for the color Maximum Steel and to test the sound system. In regards to the sound He is my personal review:

• I agree that it does not provide that "whopping" loud sound that you would expect from a 900W amp.
  • I think there are so many speakers that the 900W gets divided out so you don't have a ton of watts going to anyone speaker.
  • I could turn the volume all of the way up and still didn't hurt my ears. It was loud enough to listen to but if you had the windows down and moon-roof open or just where camping or at the beach and wanted to blast music, not sure it is loud enough.
  • Clarity at loudest setting was great. As a comparison, my GMC Acadia has a louder volume but it is distorted. Our Volvo XC90 is louder and just as clear.
  • Will it provide me with what I need in terms of loudness and clarity? Yes
Bottom line, it is all personal preference. Do I wish it could blast louder? Yes. Will it deter my purchase? No. We can debate and discuss this until this thread reaches 20 pages but if you are concerned, you just need to check it our personally when you go test drive one. If you ordered site unseen, I think you will be fine and this will not upset you at all.

D

Deleted member103

SoCal Truck said:
All,

I went today to see a Limited for the color Maximum Steel and to test the sound system. In regards to the sound He is my personal review:

• I agree that it does not provide that "whopping" loud sound that you would expect from a 900W amp.
  • I think there are so many speakers that the 900W gets divided out so you don't have a ton of watts going to anyone speaker.
  • I could turn the volume all of the way up and still didn't hurt my ears. It was loud enough to listen to but if you had the windows down and moon-roof open or just where camping or at the beach and wanted to blast music, not sure it is loud enough.
  • Clarity at loudest setting was great. As a comparison, my GMC Acadia has a louder volume but it is distorted. Our Volvo XC90 is louder and just as clear.
  • Will it provide me with what I need in terms of loudness and clarity? Yes
Bottom line, it is all personal preference. Do I wish it could blast louder? Yes. Will it deter my purchase? No. We can debate and discuss this until this thread reaches 20 pages but if you are concerned, you just need to check it our personally when you go test drive one. If you ordered site unseen, I think you will be fine and this will not upset you at all.
Agree with ALL, except your last sentence . . . the why "should be obvious" !

Slim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If they could boost the sound about 15-20% it would be a HOME RUN .......just seems like they put the sound "governor" on it. There are 4-5 times in a week you just want to turn the volume up and crank a tune!

D

Deleted member103

Slim said:
If they could boost the sound about 15-20% it would be a HOME RUN .......just seems like they put the sound "governor" on it. There are 4-5 times in a week you just want to turn the volume up and crank a tune!
Maybe those HK speakers are NOT as "High-Quality" as we should expect ? ? ? So they had to "tone-Down" the Power Distribution ? Perhaps the subwoofer isn't what we'd like ? So many Variables -- and we still don't know for sure wether there is a technical defect anywhere in the system yet !? I'm in the Alpine Bracket, so it's a mute (no pun intended) point for me !

J

jimh4662@

Still no remarks from owners reporting their findings about low volume to the Dealers . Interesting how it's being an issue but no actual complaints to the proper sources. I would love to see remarks on what the Dealers Service people are saying. Is everyone who feels the volume to low going to upgrade their system instead of letting Chrysler fix the problem. After all they did not give you the radio as a promotion?

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
So I decided to do a DB test with the Limited I had with the H/K stereo compared to my 16 with the Alpine. I downloaded a DB meter for my phone (I know it's probably not super accurate but should be good enough for a comparison). Using the same song at the same time from the same source (bluetooth streaming from spotify on my phone) on both trucks the HK system registered 80DB while the Alpine in my truck registered 78 DB. The odd thing is that to my ears yes the Alpine sounds a touch louder but after repeating the test a few times it was always 2-3 DB higher for the HK system.

Slim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Jared Balfour said:
So I decided to do a DB test with the Limited I had with the H/K stereo compared to my 16 with the Alpine. I downloaded a DB meter for my phone (I know it's probably not super accurate but should be good enough for a comparison). Using the same song at the same time from the same source (bluetooth streaming from spotify on my phone) on both trucks the HK system registered 80DB while the Alpine in my truck registered 78 DB. The odd thing is that to my ears yes the Alpine sounds a touch louder but after repeating the test a few times it was always 2-3 DB higher for the HK system.
Hmmm. maybe something wasn't set up correctly in the audio settings on the one I test drove? Thanks for doing the test Jared!

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Slim said:
Hmmm. maybe something wasn't set up correctly in the audio settings on the one I test drove? Thanks for doing the test Jared!
I made sure to have the surround sound option set to off on both trucks a I know that can cause a bit of a loss of volume.

RAM 4times

Reaction score
so jared, not counting loudness which one sounded better to you? i like them both but the hk in my wife 17 summit sounds better than my alpine in my 13 longhorn.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
RAM 4times said:
so jared, not counting loudness which one sounded better to you? i like them both but the hk in my wife 17 summit sounds better than my alpine in my 13 longhorn.
HK all the way. The Alpine drowns out in the mid range and needs the dash and center speakers to be replaced to really get the clarity an audio enthusiast would desire. The HK is crystal clear even at full volume. While the Alpine system is a good system and would be good enough for the majority of people, I think the HK system is very impressive. Either way they're both loud enough for sunroof open, windows down cruising and for anyone around in traffic to hear.

RAM 4times

Reaction score
Jared Balfour said:
HK all the way. The Alpine drowns out in the mid range and needs the dash and center speakers to be replaced to really get the clarity an audio enthusiast would desire. The HK is crystal clear even at full volume. While the Alpine system is a good system and would be good enough for the majority of people, I think the HK system is very impressive. Either way they're both loud enough for sunroof open, windows down cruising and for anyone around in traffic to hear.
thanks. this should make people who hasn't heard the hk feel a lot better as they are waiting for their truck to come in!

AZOutdoors

Reaction score
I do feel better! Thanks for doing the test. The clarity produced from a good source must sound amazing.

Twoamen

Reaction score
I will advise on my new Ram. Normal listing on my 2014 was on level 11-12 (alpine 9 speaker system) Also I have hearing aids so the test was equal. My 2019 Ram sound level is at 17-18. So they may well have the same decibel levels just different system settings. I do have surround sound activated. I will try tomorrow with it disabled. Other than that it does have a fantastic sound.

Twoamen

Reaction score
Turned off Surround sound. Surprised the volume increased enough I had to turn in down a little. I am back listening to the sound at 12 level setting. I never realized how much better it sounds through the separate speakers instead of blending in S.S. WOW, definitely an i,improvement.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Twoamen said:
Turned off Surround sound. Surprised the volume increased enough I had to turn in down a little. I am back listening to the sound at 12 level setting. I never realized how much better it sounds through the separate speakers instead of blending in S.S. WOW, definitely an i,improvement.
Glad that worked out.

immersivenc

Reaction score
Interesting stuff. I'll preface by saying I work in the audio visual industry so naturally i'm a bit of an audiophile. I've got the H/K system coming in my Limited that's on order. I currently have a H/K in my '16 BMW 5 Series, and it is a good stereo, but isn't incredible by any means. Oddly, I had an '06 Toyota 4Runner with a JBL system that rocked!

It has a lot to do with the airspace and the materials inside the vehicle also. Definitely excited to hear and put it through it's paces. Keep in mind also that speakers do have a break in period and tend to sound better as the cones relax and stretch out a bit over time.

Reactions: Laz

Users who are viewing this thread