5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 19-Speaker Harman Kardon® Premium Sound system

Slim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I took a new Limited for a test drive today. 45 minutes alone. It is a great truck. I ordered a fully loaded 2019 Limited after my test drive.I had a couple issues with it....all very minor in nature I guess, BUT......

I found the new Harmon Kardon system to be very soft on the sound level. My 2015 Ram at 25 is SO much louder than the Harmon Kardon at the max 38-39 level. At 7 you cannot even hear the stereo system on the 2019.

I almost didn't order the Level 1 package because of that. I did, but I am hoping FCA is listening and can take this into account and fix it.

I expected BOOMING stereo for the upgraded Level 1 package. Guess I still have a few days to change it back to the Alpine and save a few bucks.

Anyone from FCA here? Thoughts? @RamCares

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I test drove a 2019 Laramie with the H/K stereo yesterday and thought the opposite. Compared to my 2016 with the Alpine I'd say volume level is comparable but the highs lows and mids all sound so much better with the H/K system than the Alpine. I'd try listening to another one and see.

Slim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Jared Balfour said:
I test drove a 2019 Laramie with the H/K stereo yesterday and thought the opposite. Compared to my 2016 with the Alpine I'd say volume level is comparable but the highs lows and mids all sound so much better with the H/K system than the Alpine. I'd try listening to another one and see.
Maybe I got a bad one. It was built in February from a printout I found in the glove compartment. It was very noticeable and I really struggled to get the upgrade for the stereo

D

Deleted member103

Jared Balfour said:
Wondering if the UConnect settings were set "out of whack" by a prankster, or . . . SL, did you check the settings ? Hate to think these systems are showing signs of Inconsistency ! ! !

AZOutdoors

Reaction score
Interesting to read this. I just ordered a 2019 Limited with the H/K system and during the test drive of another limited on his lot, I asked the salesman to crank up some good music so I could hear what it could do. I expected to be blown away, and I also thought it was very soft. It seemed like an amp wasn't powered on or something. My 2012 with the factory Alpine and Factory Sub under the passenger seat cranks. I am assuming / hoping that something was not set correctly since I didn't spend time playing with it. H/K makes great equipment so I am thinking something was not normal.

D

Deleted member103

AZOutdoors said:
Interesting to read this. I just ordered a 2019 Limited with the H/K system and during the test drive of another limited on his lot, I asked the salesman to crank up some good music so I could hear what it could do. I expected to be blown away, and I also thought it was very soft. It seemed like an amp wasn't powered on or something. My 2012 with the factory Alpine and Factory Sub under the passenger seat cranks. I am assuming / hoping that something was not set correctly since I didn't spend time playing with it. H/K makes great equipment so I am thinking something was not normal.
Shoulda checked deep-in the UConnect - Equalizer/amp settings ? - That's why 5th pays yu the Big Bucks . . .
263a.png
1f604.png
. . . ?
We should ALL make a mental NOTE of this and bring along OUR favorite CD or iTunes Play list . . . give the Sound Systems / Alpine & HK a "workout" !

Slim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
LOU.2 said:
Shoulda checked deep-in the UConnect - Equalizer/amp settings ? - That's why 5th pays yu the Big Bucks . . .
263a.png
1f604.png
. . . ?
We should ALL make a mental NOTE of this and bring along OUR favorite CD or iTunes Play list . . . give the Sound Systems / Alpine & HK a "workout" !
I did play around with the settings while I had the truck. I was able to find something called "Increase sound as speed increases" I put that up to number 3 which was the MAX. I did not notice any difference in sound volume. Can anyone else post their thoughts if you have had a chance to listen to the new system? @RamCares

Ksilva211

Reaction score
So I have the 19 speaker in mine. Honestly coming from my 2012 2500 Cummins Laramie with the 9 speaker I don’t think this is that much louder. It is a little bit louder and it has pretty good sound quality but to be perfectly honest I kind of expected more with more than doubling the speakers

GM convert

Reaction score
I test drove one with HK and it would not go very loud either. It stayed the same level from 75 to 100.

CMENT

Reaction score
I am in the under whelmed category taking delivery yesterday of my Limited. No better than my Lariat and a hornet's less impressive than a Toyota Land Cruiser. The woofer/bass is almost non-existent. It is like the amp ain't working
icon_cry.gif

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Did any of you guys play with the equalizer? It's not so much about the overall volume, I'd say it got a bit louder than the Alpine in my 16 but I found the clarity, and the highs and lows were very very good for a stock sound system. I know if you had the surround sound option on with the 4th gens with the Alpine it kind of nerfs the sound a bit, could be the same thing going on here with the trucks you guys drove.

Or it could just not live up to your expectations, personally I thought it sounded great. Remember audio source is very important too, if you're just listening to the radio or satellite radio, try bringing your iPod, memory stick or even bluetooth audio from your phone would be a cleaned sound signal than FM or Satellite radio.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Does anybody know what the amp puts out. I know the Alpine puts out 500 watts into 10 speakers(9 speakers plus subwoofer). I know it's not broken down like this but estimate 500 divided by 10 is 50 watts per speaker.

ryelinek

Reaction score
2019REBEL said:
Does anybody know what the amp puts out. I know the Alpine puts out 500 watts into 10 speakers(9 speakers plus subwoofer). I know it's not broken down like this but estimate 500 divided by 10 is 50 watts per speaker.
It is supposed to be 900 from a video they posted

AZOutdoors

Reaction score
Great comments Jared. I really didn't have a chance to play around with it. I am a huge gadget guy and I love a good sound system so I can't wait to dig in and figure out what was going on. You are right on the audio source, but I did go through quite a few local radio stations and I think the volume was 1/4 of what my current truck is when turned up. I know loud doesn't translate into quality sound, but loud quality sound is great
263a.png
At 900 watts, I'm sure it can do better than it was doing.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Fair enough, I hope everyone can find a setting they enjoy with it. I know I was impressed about the clarity compared the the Alpine system in my 16. I replaced the subwoofer with an aftermarket sub and played with the mid settings as the Alpine is known for over powering mid range and it made a big difference, I personally still found the H/K system to have better clarity.

SoCal Truck

Reaction score
Slim said:
I did play around with the settings while I had the truck. I was able to find something called "Increase sound as speed increases" I put that up to number 3 which was the MAX. I did not notice any difference in sound volume. Can anyone else post their thoughts if you have had a chance to listen to the new system? @RamCares
I listened to the system and thought it sounded awesome.

Slim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought the sound clarity was very nice. I am disappointed on the overall loudness of the system. Volume does not go very high @RamCares

J

jimh4662@

I'll bet it's the E.A.R. police from the EPA, To loud of music will cause hearing damage. Federal regulation 23901346287-29887
icon_cry.gif
They put baffle foam on the speakers.

YardSale

Reaction score
This is a REAL interesting thread here...........I had a 2013 Challenger SRT with the high end HK sound system and comments about that system are almost word for word what you guys are saying here. Some folks were fine with it, others felt very disappointed. Personally I never really had an issue with it......the setup played plenty loud enough for me and sounded great (to my ears). However it would appear that HK is having the same sound complaints they were getting 5+ years ago. I find it really hard to believe that a company as well known as HK for great sound has learned/done nothing in that time period to address these concerns, but who knows.........Definitely important to keep in mind that sound quality is VERY subjective.

Users who are viewing this thread