5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 ram 1500 hood flexing.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Jared Balfour said:
To keep it short, they aren't allowing people to link here so I'm returning the favor.
I hear ya, no biggie

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FWIW, my '14 F150 had an aluminum hood and would bow inward a bit while going through the dryers at the carwash - no issues with it.

My current ride - '16 F150 - all aluminum truck, doesn't bow at all and no issues with the hood. As to the comments on that other site about the aluminum puncturing in the commercial - who is dumping bricks in the bare bed of a $50,000 pickup!? I've had no issues with the aluminum and will miss it.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My buddy had a GMC Sierra and you could see the hood rippling at highway speeds.

Twoamen

Reaction score
This site contained information that had not surfaced on this site. Do you have a method to post your restricted content sites here to inform these interested enthusiast.
Not sure you would want to start dumping screen shots for a running forum.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Twoamen said:
This site contained information that had not surfaced on this site. Do you have a method to post your restricted content sites here to inform these interested enthusiast.
Not sure you would want to start dumping screen shots for a running forum.
Edit: You're right. I want members here to have access to as much information as possible, hence why I go so into detail and chase a bunch of information for you guys.

I've removed the site from the word censor so links over there should work now.

Kramersp

Reaction score
so is the hood flexing while driving? Cant find any posts for this or video/ picture. That would be odd.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not terribly concerned about this unless it is excessive, i.e. leads to weakened aluminum. My wife drives a 2002 diesel Excursion (won't give it up!) and it has a noticeable amount of hood flexing at highway speeds, especially in strong cross winds. Not a single issue with the hood in 13 years now. Granted, it's steel but a panel that large, whatever it's made of, would be quite hard to make not flex some.

rickross

Reaction score
I have 1700 miles on mine. I drive a 100 miles a day highway at a pretty consistent speed of 75-80 and have not noticed any movement or flexing of the hood. I have hit the speed limiter at 105 mph and did not notice anything either. I used to own a 2014 Fusion and that hood flexed quite a bit while driving.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
<woltlab-quote data-link="https://5thgenrams.com/community/forum/index.php?thread/702-2019-ram-1500-hood-flexing/&postID=4845#post4845" data-author="rickross">I have 1700 miles on mine. I drive a 100 miles a day highway at a pretty consistent speed of 75-80 and have not noticed any movement or flexing of the hood. I have hit the speed limiter at 105 mph and did not notice anything either. I used to own a 2014 Fusion and that hood flexed quite a bit while driving.</woltlab-quote>Breaking her in at 105
icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif

rickross

Reaction score
2019REBEL said:
Breaking her in at 105
icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif
LOL It won't be the last time either! I'll have admit I was a little confused when it quit accelerating. I have owned vehicles whit limiters on them, they have have all been capped a bit higher. I was sad at first but it is probably for the best.

Ksilva211

Reaction score
Yea it gets to that 105 limit pretty quick to I might add....

Twoamen

Reaction score
I did some further test last night. 57 mile an hour seems to trigger the flex. Its begins approx 12 inches from the hood edge at the wipers and ends at the two embedded double bends. Dead center. When it was parked I noticed pushing your finger at the same spot revealed approx 1/8 inch cap before tapping interior sheet metal on bottom of hood top. Now looking under hood there is a sound deadening panel attached under the hood. Held by plastic plugs. I may venture into an investigation to see if maybe pulling off the sound barrier, seeing if it reveals a space between the bottom and top layers of the hood. Maybe a wedge of material of some sort can be slide into the gap. The flex is distracting when driving at 57 to 65 watching indent with the wind. The area that is noticed is approx 10 inches in diameter. Don't know whether is warrants a dealer visit or not.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
If it was me I'd bring it in. I wonder if they got a bad batch of hood stampings or something. I can say for a fact that none of the 2019s that I have driven so far have had an issue with the hood flexing.

Twoamen

Reaction score
Gotta watch close, it almost resembles a reflection for line markings on road. Wants you notice it it will stick out. I'm thinking the lighter the color may be deceptive.

Twoamen

Reaction score
Pulled the sound deadening underlayment off the hood. See why the flex, why some maynot. I attempted a fix to see if it controls the flexing. There was the gap I suspected between the hood outer shell and the framework supporting it. See pics. I shoved a 3/16 inch x 4 inch x 12 inch piece of foam board between the two pieces of metal. Later on I will test the repair. It did not give as much pushing on top the hood when closed. The factor repair would be an additional bead of glue across the hood fram and the Hood itself . Cheap fix. I do not have the the glue they used so I used the foam board.(see attachment)(see attachment)

Attachments

• 20180520_083813.jpg
    20180520_083813.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 136
  • 20180520_083856.jpg
    20180520_083856.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 134

Kramersp

Reaction score
Ummm, brand new truck man. Unacceptable. Bring it to the dealer and have them fix or replace the hood. Heck, under warranty, I'll bring a truck in for anything. Uneven gaps in the interior/exterior (found one on a limited I test drive, the leather panel on top of the gauge cluster I could see the foam under it) paint blemish, squeaks, rattles. Make them fix it.

Twoamen

Reaction score
I agree, but I think the glue may not be wide enough to effectively control. Where what I did may provide more of a stable foundation under the hood. I worry that somewhat of a trivial fix the dealer will cause more trouble. Plus having to wait a half day for them to figure it out. Also I'm sure it's so new of an issue it maybe months until it works into Chryslers fix on demand. I'm going to bring it up to service next week.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Twoamen said:
I agree, but I think the glue may not be wide enough to effectively control. Where what I did may provide more of a stable foundation under the hood. I worry that somewhat of a trivial fix the dealer will cause more trouble. Plus having to wait a half day for them to figure it out. Also I'm sure it's so new of an issue it maybe months until it works into Chryslers fix on demand. I'm going to bring it up to service next week.
Good ingenuity! I'll keep this in mind if mine has a similar issue. I've seen similar fixes on the F150 forum....I'm like you - if its something simple I can resolve myself, I'll do that over taking it to the dealer any day. Ford is famous for - Cannot Duplicate - and then you just wasted your time/might have gotten your truck scratched.

Fords fix for the moonroof dripping excess water into the drip trays is to R&R the entire moonroof. To do that both front seats and the windshield need to come out. I added a dab of GE Silicone 2 caulk to the two spots where there was a gap in the gasket. I'll take that any day and leaving my truck untouched versus torn apart and put together again by the dealership!

Users who are viewing this thread