5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 RAM 1500 hellwig swaybar

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Again; if it reduces tow handling, it reduces payload for the same reason. Obviously your axle weight rating doesn't change. But if your truck starts walllowing like a pig with a bit of a load due to suspension changes, well you have to make sure you tow less and carry less. That's why the power wagon (and other off road focused trucks) cannot tow/haul as much as a regular 2500 even though the frame and axles haven't changed.
If it comes from the factory with that rating as it is AS DESIGNED. What you were referring to is if a person changes shocks does it change the weight rating, and it does not. It only changes handling and the comfort one feels while towing. In essence, it only changes your weight rating, not the trucks.
So in reverse, if I install a Hellwig, stiffer sidewall tires, etc. etc., then my Ram can tow 12000# with a tongue weight of 2000#. Bad, unreasonable, and errant thinking from what all the towing discussions I have read on thin forum indicate. Different side of the same coin.

Last edited:

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If it comes from the factory with that rating as it is AS DESIGNED. What you were referring to is if a person changes shocks does it change the weight rating, and it does not. It only changes handling and the comfort one feels while towing. In essence, it only changes your weight rating, not the trucks.
So in reverse, if I install a Hellwig, stiffer sidewall tires, etc. etc., then my Ram can tow 12000# with a tongue weight of 2000#. Bad, unreasonable, and errant thinking from what all the towing discussions I have read on thin forum indicate. Different side of the same coin.

You're not reading what I'm saying. I said in my first post already it doesn't change your legal payload/rating. But it DOES change how much you can carry in your bed. You can carry less because your suspension can't handle the load as well as it did before. So your payload does change; not the rating, but if you were rated at 1500 pounds before, maybe now you can only carry 1200 pounds or whatever.

So for the 5th time; I'm not talking about RATING. I'm talking about how your truck performs worse when you modify the suspension with softer shocks; when your truck handles less weight, your effective payload changes regardless of the rating.

‘19ramlveryeha

Reaction score
2019 ram 1500 crew cab orp with the 2” bilsteins out front. Who can point me in the right direction. Hellwig has normal rig or 2”-4”. Mine regular 1” over stock out back. Which one do I buy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbzr1107

Reaction score
But the 2-4" would work best with the Clayton 2.5in springs in the rear correct?

Dogpatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just bought the Hellwig 7709. Not here yet.
I have a 2019 1500 Limited with air suspension and stock ride height.
Roads here aren’t bad, I live in the mountains so roads are winding. I don’t tow or carry heavy loads and very minimal off-road to job sites.
I love the ride of my truck.
Question: For those with similar truck and conditions, what setting would you recommend? I like the idea of planting the truck in curves but don’t want to sacrifice the ride quality.
Thanks in advance for any input!

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Roads here aren’t bad, I live in the mountains so roads are winding. I don’t tow or carry heavy loads and very minimal off-road to job sites.
Question: For those with similar truck and conditions, what setting would you recommend? I like the idea of planting the truck in curves but don’t want to sacrifice the ride quality.
I am in the stiffest, but I tow and haul, so that is best for me. It definitely is planted in the curves, and doesn't ride bad at all.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
After a year or so of running it in the softest position (due to some very choppy road surfaces here in TX), I stepped up to the middle position some months back. It's just that much more 'planted' around 50 mph curves and quick turns. I (briefly) tried the stiffest setting when I first installed it, but that was way too rough for me.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I’ve gone back and forth on all settings. Specially between soft and middle.
To me middle was too jumpy and made my smooth running AS Limited too rough on the horrendous Houston roads, so I’ve been on softest setting for several months and it’s what I prefer now.

1awesomelaw

Reaction score
Hey guys

I got a 2019 Laramie Crew 5.7L 4x4

I just got back from Hellwig to let you know about their swaybar setups. We confirmed that the previous generation swaybar fits the 2019 like a glove. The ride quality has improved a lot and feels so much more stable in and out of corners. The swaybar is a lot more beffy and solid compared to OEM which comes hollow. Definitely recommend the product. Here are some pictures

I'm convinced, going to order one now, can you tell me the part # you ordered? Can the sway bar be changed without lifting the truck off the ground? How long to switch out?

‘19ramlveryeha

Reaction score
I'm convinced, going to order one now, can you tell me the part # you ordered? Can the sway bar be changed without lifting the truck off the ground? How long to switch out?

You can crawl under. Instructions say to not lift the truck. It needs to rest on its weight. Should take you about 30 min if you have all the tools ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have to say, I wasn't impressed overall by the Hellwig. When I installed it, I used the center hole, and it was just ok. A month or two ago I moved it to the tightest setting and, while the truck had a stiffer ride over bumps, it didn't feel much different in the turns. Fast forward to this past weekend: Loaded my small (8x10) trailer with a large grill and some other things to deliver to my son about an hour away. The road he lives on has some heart-stopper hills and turns, and the rear of the truck felt PLANTED. I've made this trip with a loaded trailer a few times since he moved there, and this is the first time I didn't feel like I needed to crawl through the turns.

I guess my take away is, this is the right upgrade if you do any kind of towing. And, since it is easy enough to adjust, I can always soften it up for regular driving.

Users who are viewing this thread