5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 RAM 1500 hellwig swaybar

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Glad we were able to help you get it sorted out. I would've came home and done the same thing. Jeffjad said he used the stock bolt and hasn't had any issues in 5k miles. I didn't like the slop so I found an easy way to remedy it.

Jeffjad, I would turn those endlinks the other way so the threads in the female end don't get corroded unless you put some anti-seize on them.
So, I'll start by saying that's not a picture of my truck, it's way to rust free to be mine :LOL:. I am out of town right now and couldn't take a picture of mine nor do I have one on my phone to post. That's a picture I found online (googled) just to show the proper position but I do know 100% that my end links are on the inside for sure. Yes, you are both correct, those end links are upside down and mine are not installed that way. I will post pictures of mine properly installed once I get home tomorrow.
@19BlueStreakSport I reused the OEM bolts at the top and have not had any issues or noises after about 5k miles. I didn't feel the little bit of play in there was significant enough to do anything about.

Last edited:

Kingnothing

Reaction score
How is everyone getting the measurements for the end links? I assume if you have a lift they are longer that stock.

GraniteRam

Reaction score
How is everyone getting the measurements for the end links? I assume if you have a lift they are longer that stock.
Whatever length it takes to get the bar level with the ground. You could install the bar first without end links, then push the bar up till it's level with the ground, then measure from center of whichever hole on bar you're going to use to center of hole on frame. Or, add however many inches your lift is to the length of the factory endlinks from center of hole to center of stud would get you in the ballpark. Factory endlinks on my Laramie were 13 3/8" from center of hole to center of stud.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is your personal opionion that you’re not crazy, and that is what a crazy person would say haha... Just joking...

I appreciate the feedback, that’s why I posted the pictures. We were both right, the instructions say outside what I said and what actually is right is what you said... I think the instructions might be for the older style rams @Jeffjad

Anyhow because I am impatient in getting things correct (and before I seen Jeffjad’s picture) I went ahead and crawled under my truck at 1:00am when I got home from work. Zipped them off and put them Inside and boom nice and straight. Glad that is done with. For the heck of it, I even went to hole #3 just to give it a whirl since I was in hole #2 when they were incorrectly installed.

As for the 1mm different in upper bolts, I am not overly concerned with that. Although a fixed would be nice. Jeffjad what did you do in the case? Did you do anything about the stock bolt being too small? Or did you drill out the hole and use the supplied bolts?

Also Jeffjad, it looks like you have your links upside down compared to the instructions. The instructions have the threaded rod (male end) connected to the sway bar and the thicker end bolted to the frame. Any reason for that?
Here is a picture of mine installed, rust and all.
End links inside the swaybar and proper side
down.
IMG_20200815_202347.jpg IMG_20200815_202333.jpg

Doc33

Reaction score
Was under truck yesterday and noticed one of the bolts that Hellwig supplies to mount the bar to the axle had the head broke off. Luckily I still had factory bolts and used it to replace. Just a fyi for other users to check next time your down there. Could of been a bad bolt.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Was under truck yesterday and noticed one of the bolts that Hellwig supplies to mount the bar to the axle had the head broke off. Luckily I still had factory bolts and used it to replace. Just a fyi for other users to check next time your down there. Could of been a bad bolt.
Mine still look as they did the day I put them on, but thanks for the heads up.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You should let Hellwig know. They might want to investigate if there’s a chance they had a bad batch.

RHCan

USAF Retired Vet
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Guys don’t have a lift and my truck is a 4x2 quad cab. Do I need to change the end links if I purchase item 7709 sway bar. Also sounds like middle hole is way to go???

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Guys don’t have a lift and my truck is a 4x2 quad cab. Do I need to change the end links if I purchase item 7709 sway bar. Also sounds like middle hole is way to go???
No need to change the end links if you don't have a lift. 7709 doesn't come with new end links anyway. I am on middle hole and happy with this setting so far.

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
4x4 crew cab with off road package and I am using middle hole as well and my end link bolts are on the inside as well.

KentGutowski

Reaction score
I'll start by saying i read the entire thread - great info - and i did see a few guys that signatures said they have a 2020, but it really never got addressed from what i saw - Can someone please confirm this sway bar will work with the 2020 limited? Also - i have the 5" RC lift - safe to assume the 2-4" Hellwig downlinks will work?
Post lift install (installed last Thursday) - too much body roll for my comfort, so this mod has jumped to top of lift

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I'll start by saying i read the entire thread - great info - and i did see a few guys that signatures said they have a 2020, but it really never got addressed from what i saw - Can someone please confirm this sway bar will work with the 2020 limited? Also - i have the 5" RC lift - safe to assume the 2-4" Hellwig downlinks will work?
Post lift install (installed last Thursday) - too much body roll for my comfort, so this mod has jumped to top of lift
Yes, the 2020 is identical to the 2019, and you will need the link extensions for your lift.

Cheers,

eproulx38

Reaction score
I have a 2020 bighorn 1500. I emailed Hellwig before purchasing the 7883 ( lifted version) and they confirmed it fits the 2020. I got the Mopar 2 inch lift so I can only verify it works for that. Install was easy and it made a huge difference for me. Again, I can't verify it works on a 5 inch lift , but I'm sure others on here can.

realralfy

Reaction score
Finally got around to bolting on the Hellwig last night (middle hole) and am shocked at the difference it made. Living in East Tennessee, we have a plethora of hilly curvy roads. I took the truck out for an extended ride today and was just blown away with how composed the truck is with this Hellwig swaybar installed. Before, the truck would rock or roll left to right immediately after the wheel was turned going into a curve, and again when the truck would straighten back up coming out of the curve...That is simply gone now. It even gives the effect of the steering being faster and more accurate. The truck drives like a large sedan on the road now. It’s just incredible.....best $250 mod ever

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread