5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 RAM 1500 hellwig swaybar

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If I were solely going off roading extensively then I would opt to not use one. But most of the folks who’ve installed this spend a majority of their time on regular roads hence why we drive what we drive. If you find that the bar is t adept for off roading use, it is easy enough to take off knowing where you are heading, or like you’ve stated not for you. :)

GraniteRam

Reaction score
For those that have the lifted version of the hellwig, what are you doing about the top bolt since it's standard in the kit instead of metric? Are you reusing the top bolt even though there's a lot of slop in the eyelet of the bushing and the bolt has no shoulder like the one in the kit.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those that have the lifted version of the hellwig, what are you doing about the top bolt since it's standard in the kit instead of metric? Are you reusing the top bolt even though there's a lot of slop in the eyelet of the bushing and the bolt has no shoulder like the one in the kit.
I reused the OEM bolts and haven't had any issues or noises so far after about 5k miles.

Reaction score
Well got my Hellwig Sway Bar installed today, I am happy with how the truck feels on the road responds way better on curves and unevenness on the road. However, for $500 (cdn) I was hoping for better fitment, the bar seems like it's too wide for the truck, never measured factory to stock. This is the 7883 kit with the added sway bar link ends. The bolts to hold the sway bars to the factory mounts do not work, factory mounts are 10mm and the ones that come with the kit are 11mm. I have installed the factory ones as they work, but there is some play in the bushing. Secondly, the sway bar links seem to be at somewhat of an angle, don't think it will harm it but I am going to be contacting Hellwig about these issues. I used factory bolts for the D-bushing mounts, mine sit flat and work great, better then the allen key heads.

Anyhow, overall I am happy with the setup, but a little disappointed in the bolts that don't work and kind of debating on the angle of the links if they will be fine or not. For those wondering, with the 2" Mopar lift I am glad I went with the upgraded lift kit version. Factory links are about 11.5" center to center and I have mine set at 16" and the bar is parallel with the ground. So I think its worth the extra $80 for bigger links and to have it level if you have the lift kit.

New vs Old.jpg

Installed On Ramps.png

10mm Sway Bar Bolt.png 11mm Sway Bar Bolt.png Driver Sway Bar Link Bushing.png Passenger Sway Bar Link Bushing.png Driver Sway Bar Link.png Passenger Installed On Ground.png Sway bar links in box.png

GraniteRam

Reaction score
You have the endlinks on wrong, their supposed to go on the inside of the bar, not outside. I also have a solution for the slop in the top bolt that I'll post tonight.

Reaction score
You have the endlinks on wrong, their supposed to go on the inside of the bar, not outside. I also have a solution for the slop in the top bolt that I'll post tonight.

According to the directions, the link goes on the outside, so I have them installed right :) So you have them installed wrong if you have them inside haha . I've uploaded marked up pictures from their installation instructions showing the link on the outside of the sway bar. As for the top bolt and correcting slops I'm all ears.... As for the link, directions say outside of sway bar not the inside like you mentioned. If you did put your on the inside, do you have any pictures? It would be interesting to see how they look installed on the inside of the bar rather then outside. I don't think it would affect anything if it was install inside of the sway bar.

Outside 1.jpg Outside 3.jpg Outside 2.jpg

GraniteRam

Reaction score
Your right, I had them mixed up with the factory end links. Try them on the inside and see if it will work.

Reaction score
Your right, I had them mixed up with the factory end links. Try them on the inside and see if it will work.

Is that how you have yours installed? It never hurts to try. I don't think the angle will hurt anything, but it would be nicer if they were straight up and down and the bushing would probably look more normal then the way they look currently.

GraniteRam

Reaction score
No, I haven't installed mine yet...I will tonight. Been working on the slop issue.

Reaction score
No, I haven't installed mine yet...I will tonight. Been working on the slop issue.

There isn't a bunch of slop, as I took measurements with my cheap caliper and it seems there is only 1mm difference. I'd prefer zero slop, but I don't think that it will have any major affects.

I am wondering, if the directions are for the previous years and haven't been updated for the DT trucks. The sway bar is wider then the stock one, so it makes sense that maybe these links needs to be on the inside rather than the outside like the factory ones. I was in a rush because I had to get to work, so I didn't really way out my options as I was pressed for time. After looking at them again, it looks like maybe they should go on the inside like you mentioned. It makes more sense.

I'll have to change them tomorrow morning and see how it goes. As for the slop, your solution will be appreciated when you find a way to make it work.

If I wasn't on a time crunch, I would have probably tried it both ways and see which way looks like it works better. Because of the time frame I had I just followed the directions.

Reaction score
I'll tell you one thing, I need to stop reading this forum on upgrades lol.... It keeps costing me more money each time... 1-2 months ago I was only talking about getting rims powder coated and changing to a Borla S-type from my B2 kit .. By the end I ended up with those 2 items plus Mopar Lift, ORP springs, RC speed calibrator, Sprint Booster, 35" tires and finally the sway bar lol...… Last thing I want this year is Vararam or S&B intake and then I am done for this year..

GraniteRam

Reaction score
From your pics it looks like they'll work on the inside. For the slop issue, I had some S-10 front sway bar end links laying around and the sleeve for those endlinks has the same inside diameter as the factory endlinks. So I cut the sleeve down to 1 3/8 like the sleeves that come with the sway bar. Now the bolt has the same slop as the factory endlinks. I'll know more tonight when I install mine.

Reaction score
From your pics it looks like they'll work on the inside. For the slop issue, I had some S-10 front sway bar end links laying around and the sleeve for those endlinks has the same inside diameter as the factory endlinks. So I cut the sleeve down to 1 3/8 like the sleeves that come with the sway bar. Now the bolt has the same slop as the factory endlinks. I'll know more tonight when I install mine.

Yeah I'm at work, so I went out and check it out quickly. It looks like it will fit better on the inside rather than the outside. I'll give it a go tomorrow it only takes a few minutes to do.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah I'm at work, so I went out and check it out quickly. It looks like it will fit better on the inside rather than the outside. I'll give it a go tomorrow it only takes a few minutes to do.
Not sure why the directions show the end links in that position but they definitely go on the inside of the swaybar.
HellwigRAMbars068.jpg

GraniteRam

Reaction score
I knew I remember seeing that's the way they are supposed to go from looking at mine last night, I'm not crazy after all.

Reaction score
I knew I remember seeing that's the way they are supposed to go from looking at mine last night, I'm not crazy after all.

That is your personal opionion that you’re not crazy, and that is what a crazy person would say haha... Just joking...

I appreciate the feedback, that’s why I posted the pictures. We were both right, the instructions say outside what I said and what actually is right is what you said... I think the instructions might be for the older style rams @Jeffjad

Anyhow because I am impatient in getting things correct (and before I seen Jeffjad’s picture) I went ahead and crawled under my truck at 1:00am when I got home from work. Zipped them off and put them Inside and boom nice and straight. Glad that is done with. For the heck of it, I even went to hole #3 just to give it a whirl since I was in hole #2 when they were incorrectly installed.

As for the 1mm different in upper bolts, I am not overly concerned with that. Although a fixed would be nice. Jeffjad what did you do in the case? Did you do anything about the stock bolt being too small? Or did you drill out the hole and use the supplied bolts?

Also Jeffjad, it looks like you have your links upside down compared to the instructions. The instructions have the threaded rod (male end) connected to the sway bar and the thicker end bolted to the frame. Any reason for that?

GraniteRam

Reaction score
That is your personal opionion that you’re not crazy, and that is what a crazy person would say haha... Just joking...

I appreciate the feedback, that’s why I posted the pictures. We were both right, the instructions say outside what I said and what actually is right is what you said... I think the instructions might be for the older style rams @Jeffjad

Anyhow because I am impatient in getting things correct (and before I seen Jeffjad’s picture) I went ahead and crawled under my truck at 1:00am when I got home from work. Zipped them off and put them Inside and boom nice and straight. Glad that is done with. For the heck of it, I even went to hole #3 just to give it a whirl since I was in hole #2 when they were incorrectly installed.

As for the 1mm different in upper bolts, I am not overly concerned with that. Although a fixed would be nice. Jeffjad what did you do in the case? Did you do anything about the stock bolt being too small? Or did you drill out the hole and use the supplied bolts?

Also Jeffjad, it looks like you have your links upside down compared to the instructions. The instructions have the threaded rod (male end) connected to the sway bar and the thicker end bolted to the frame. Any reason for that?
Glad we were able to help you get it sorted out. I would've came home and done the same thing. Jeffjad said he used the stock bolt and hasn't had any issues in 5k miles. I didn't like the slop so I found an easy way to remedy it.

Jeffjad, I would turn those endlinks the other way so the threads in the female end don't get corroded unless you put some anti-seize on them.

Users who are viewing this thread