5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 1500 engine issues

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Curious to know what is your primary source for making decisions on which vehicle to buy?
Interior and exterior appearance, handling, value (features vs cost). Brand is my last consideration. I own a Ford, a Chevy, a Mercedes, a Jeep, and now a Ram. Have had Acura, Toyota, and Mazda in the past. I keep a Harley or two also. The reliability has been about the same with all of them. Every one of them has had repairs over time because I generally run the wheels off of them. Auto transmissions seem to last 200k-250k miles. Manuals need clutches. I've worn a GM rear end out to the point it was jumping gear teeth and locking up.

The Ram is well built. I have no more worries than I would with another brand. Jump on other forums and you can read for days about unique failure points and recalls. It's a machine built by man and will never be perfect.

JHowellAK

Reaction score
The Ram is well built. I have no more worries than I would with another brand. Jump on other forums and you can read for days about unique failure points and recalls. It's a machine built by man and will never be perfect.

Well said. There is a warranty for a reason. It is the manufacturer saying that nothing is perfect and there is bound to be something wrong that they agree to fix for free.

Also - My PCM **** out 18 miles after install this time. All modules lost communications with it. They installed a new one yesterday and I am waiting on an update.

I have a case manager now at FCA. Lovely lady. Bottom line is - I need a dependable vehicle. I've moved 7 times in the passed 9 years. They span the width of the US. I cant afford to have issues like this :-/.

Last edited:

Fastman21

Reaction score
9498 miles.
2019 rebel crew hemi , 9800 miles . check eng light came on . went to messages , start stop not available . Running rough , check engine started flashing . Recieved a vehicle health report email , eleven systems passed one failed . Took it to my dealer picked up loaner , next day was ready for me . Replaced all fuel injectors and fuel rail . A side note I knew it was fixed before they called because a health report was sent to my phone with twelve systems passed .

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2019 rebel crew hemi , 9800 miles . check eng light came on . went to messages , start stop not available . Running rough , check engine started flashing . Recieved a vehicle health report email , eleven systems passed one failed . Took it to my dealer picked up loaner , next day was ready for me . Replaced all fuel injectors and fuel rail . A side note I knew it was fixed before they called because a health report was sent to my phone with twelve systems passed .
Just a guess, but based on the repair scenario it sounds like some type of dirt or foreign material got passed the fuel pump filter.

Was this repaired under warranty, or did they charge you?

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 025848 miles.

Raydar

Reaction score
Any motor can fail. This is the first I've seen on here. Ram doesn't make a premium Hemi that is higher quality for the $65k trucks. The most basic Ram gets the same Hemi. No, it's not a joke. All manufacturers are the same in that respect.

I had a friend who swore that GMCs were more reliable than the same year, otherwise identical, Chevys. (He was specifically talking about Safari and Astro minivans.) Until he found out they actually were assembled in the same plant, on the same line, by the same workers. Doh!

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well said. There is a warranty for a reason. It is the manufacturer saying that nothing is perfect and there is bound to be something wrong that they agree to fix for free.

Also - My PCM **** out 18 miles after install this time. All modules lost communications with it. They installed a new one yesterday and I am waiting on an update.

I have a case manager now at FCA. Lovely lady. Bottom line is - I need a dependable vehicle. I've moved 7 times in the passed 9 years. They span the width of the US. I cant afford to have issues like this :-/.

Did everything get resolved and have you had anymore issues?

Fastman21

Reaction score
Just a guess, but based on the repair scenario it sounds like some type of dirt or foreign material got passed the fuel pump filter.

Was this repaired under warranty, or did they charge you?

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 025848 miles.
They did not charge me anything and they also gave me a loaner . As far as dirt in fuel I don't know . I always use top tier fuel and my and my tank is always between half and full .

muzikmafiatim

Reaction score
Another Cylinder 5 misfire issue. 9000 miles. Started it in the cold but I have a block heater and it was plugged in, so it keeps the motor a balmy 78 degrees. Check engine light came on and it was running very rough. When I took it for a drive the light flashed and the chime sounded, so I drove it straight to the dealer located within a mile. They did a quick check and the code was for the Cylinder 5 misfire. Later today they called me and let me know that they found a bad fuel injector and ordered the part and would fix it tomorrow. Hopefully that will be the end of the issue. Why a Ram dealer don't have fuel injectors in stock is beyond me. That can't be a specialized part. Sure seems odd that it is usually cylinder 5.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Another Cylinder 5 misfire issue. 9000 miles. Started it in the cold but I have a block heater and it was plugged in, so it keeps the motor a balmy 78 degrees. Check engine light came on and it was running very rough. When I took it for a drive the light flashed and the chime sounded, so I drove it straight to the dealer located within a mile. They did a quick check and the code was for the Cylinder 5 misfire. Later today they called me and let me know that they found a bad fuel injector and ordered the part and would fix it tomorrow. Hopefully that will be the end of the issue. Why a Ram dealer don't have fuel injectors in stock is beyond me. That can't be a specialized part. Sure seems odd that it is usually cylinder 5.

Hi muzikmafiatim,

I apologize for the trouble you are experiencing with your truck, however, I'm glad to hear your dealer was able to diagnose. If you are in need of any additional assistance while your truck is in service, please do not hesitate to send us a private message. We are happy to help.

Mark
RamCares

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How many have you had? What brand and type of gas do you use?

muzikmafiatim

Reaction score
I didn't mean another one for myself. This is my first issue with my truck. I just meant I was another owner that had the cylinder number 5 misfire. My dealer service manager agreed that for whatever reason...if there is this issue, it is more than likely cylinder number 5. On my truck they started by changing both spark plugs....that didn't fix it. Then they changed the coil....that didn't fix it, so they changed the injector, and that fixed the issue. Hopefully for good.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn't mean another one for myself. This is my first issue with my truck. I just meant I was another owner that had the cylinder number 5 misfire. My dealer service manager agreed that for whatever reason...if there is this issue, it is more than likely cylinder number 5. On my truck they started by changing both spark plugs....that didn't fix it. Then they changed the coil....that didn't fix it, so they changed the injector, and that fixed the issue. Hopefully for good.
Ok, I will rephrase my questions. What information do you have that there have been others that have had misfires with cylinder number 5? Still would be interested in knowing what brand and type of gas you use. Might be information that one could use to determine why the injector failed, rather than loosely imply that it is a manufacturing failure by stating "another cylinder number 5 misfire? I did a quick search on the forum and the only other case I could find regarding fuel injectors and misfiring was one person had a cylinder number 7 misfire that turned out to be due to debris in the fuel rail. After cleaning the fuel injector was re-used without any more issues.

Last edited:

muzikmafiatim

Reaction score
I use non ethanol unleaded fuel from the same station that I use for all of my business's vehicles and have never had an issue, so I have my doubts that it is the fuel. I think new vehicles have bugs that unfortunately have to be worked out. Hopefully you get them worked out before your warranty expires.

Here is a thread on this forum that I have read that someone in the discussion had a P0305 code. Cylinder 5 misfire. That would make 2 of us in this small sample size of 2019 Ram owners. I guess "usually" may have been the wrong term.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/check-engine-light-on-at-250-miles.11529/

bigwhttrk19dt

Reaction score
Has anyone else had engine issues yet on the 2019 Ram 1500 Lonestar edition? I recently had to bring mine with less the 1500 miles into service because it broke down. Come to find out there was a fuel injector that was stuck open pouring fuel into the block causing 2 pistons to hydro lock and shoot both piston rods through the engine block and into the oil pan. The lead mechanic at the dealership told me that the entire engine needs to be replaced!!

Like I said it’s got less the 1500 miles on it and the entire engine needs to be replaced, is this a joke?? Now they want me to sit in a rental for 2+ weeks until they can get an engine off the product line... I’ve also had problems with the front left wheel well popping and knocking while turning or going over speed bumps. Any insight on my problem or is there anyone that’s had the same issues??

What are my options? Due to the smell of gasolin fumes in the cab of the vehicle (From the engines struggle before breakdown) I don’t want to think about taking it back and exposing my 14 month old to the gas smell. I want a new vehicle, is that too much to ask?
Don't know what state you are from... but here in RI & MA there are " lemon laws ". If you really want a replacement, I would consider that avenue.
BTW... yes, you want a new engine. And also, if the lead mechanic is / seems to be an honest person, ask if he has also had issues with the hydraulic lifters. Apparently they had issues which resulted in the cam lobes being " wiped out "... and replacments required. This was on the 5.7L. My salesperson said this was addressed in 2017...but who's to know ?

bigwhttrk19dt

Reaction score
Ok, I will rephrase my questions. What information do you have that there have been others that have had misfires with cylinder number 5? Still would be interested in knowing what brand and type of gas you use. Might be information that one could use to determine why the injector failed, rather than loosely imply that it is a manufacturing failure by stating "another cylinder number 5 misfire? I did a quick search on the forum and the only other case I could find regarding fuel injectors and misfiring was one person had a cylinder number 7 misfire that turned out to be due to debris in the fuel rail. After cleaning the fuel injector was re-used without any more issues.
Engine misfire ??? Are you aware that Mopar had issues with the 5.7L lifters...roller lifters. They malfunctioned resulting in the cam lobes being " rounded ". A "tell" in the early stages was a misfire. Look on Youtube. My salesperson said this was " taken care of" in 2017...but who knows ?

bigwhttrk19dt

Reaction score
Discounting the edition of 1500 ( i.e Tradesman, Rebel...etc.) and concentrating on the 5.7L engine, is there a general awareness that FCA/Mopar had an issue with the roller lifters in the 5.7L. The lifters failed resultiing in cam lobes being "rounded" ? Appears an early indicator was a perceived misfire. When I asked my salesperson about this... and it has been my experience that the sales team is not that aware of mechanical issues... he was quick ( and polite ) to say...that was resolved in 2017. ( However how was it resolved ? Or was it a corporate decision to "do the numbers" and decide to let the customer bring the vehicle in ...IF... the engine showed signs of a malfuction. ) As with any vehicle I own, I subscribe to AllData which also highlights TSB's( technical service bulletins) and Recalls. Unfortunately they do not yet have the 2019 edition. I also purchase service manuals when available. It appears that a service manual for the 2019 is not available in a printed version. In order to get what I perceive is the dealership version I had to spend $180 to get the info ... on a flash drive.
BTW - going under the title of " You bought it, you own it "...that means you own all of the parts as well. When something is replaced, asked for the replaced part... if the dealer/service dept says they have to return it because it is "return for credit" list...then take a look at the part ... and consider a refund of sort. This is not a bogus request. ( Kind of like discretely marking your oil filter only to find it is still on the vehicle ... after an oil service. )

Chrisdp23

Reaction score

I had it happen to me today, truck lost power, and check engine light started flashing, drove right to the dealer and they said it was a misfire in # 5 cylinder and they would have to do some diagnostics. Got a call several hours later saying the injector in that cylinder is bad and that they needed to order one would be in on Monday.
I use either Sunoco or WAWA 87 for my gas and Lucas fuel treatment almost every tank becuse the truck can sit for a week or two between uses.

romeoster

Reaction score
3rd time my truck has been in the shop in 3 weeks. Had a cylinder 6 misfire each time. The original mechanic that worked on the truck said it was an internal issue. Said they had to pull the engine to further diagnose. they released the truck to me, said to return the following week for service. When I brought the truck back the light turned off while they had it. the decision was not to do anything for a week until I called to see what they discovered. They said the light was off so they did no work. They told me to come to pick up the truck. As anyone would expect the light turned back on. On the way back to them the light turned off but they pulled the code from history was the same cylinder 6 misfire. So now they have had it for 4 more days again. They haven't called to update me again All I know is its due for Inspection and now it's illegal to drive because it can't pass inspection. I called Chrysler to see if they could help. waiting on their response. This is my 2nd 2019 ram in a year. The first one was a nightmare with electrical and mechanical issues. I was able to get the dealer to work me out of the truck without taking much of a hit. But I'm thinking to myself, now what do I do with this one.

bigwhttrk19dt

Reaction score
3rd time my truck has been in the shop in 3 weeks. Had a cylinder 6 misfire each time. The original mechanic that worked on the truck said it was an internal issue. Said they had to pull the engine to further diagnose. they released the truck to me, said to return the following week for service. When I brought the truck back the light turned off while they had it. the decision was not to do anything for a week until I called to see what they discovered. They said the light was off so they did no work. They told me to come to pick up the truck. As anyone would expect the light turned back on. On the way back to them the light turned off but they pulled the code from history was the same cylinder 6 misfire. So now they have had it for 4 more days again. They haven't called to update me again All I know is its due for Inspection and now it's illegal to drive because it can't pass inspection. I called Chrysler to see if they could help. waiting on their response. This is my 2nd 2019 ram in a year. The first one was a nightmare with electrical and mechanical issues. I was able to get the dealer to work me out of the truck without taking much of a hit. But I'm thinking to myself, now what do I do with this one.
See if you can get the factory TSB ( Technical Service Bulletin ) that highlighted the lifter / cam problem. For a more technical explanation go to YouTube on what happened to lifters with the 5.7L and what some of the symptoms are before total failure. The real issue is... playing the back and forth game with the dealer / service department. :(

bigwhttrk19dt

Reaction score
See if you can get the factory TSB ( Technical Service Bulletin ) that highlighted the lifter / cam problem. For a more technical explanation go to YouTube on what happened to lifters with the 5.7L and what some of the symptoms are before total failure. The real issue is... playing the back and forth game with the dealer / service department. :(
Looking at the Youtube video: did a " cut & paste " from the Gearheads explanation. Does not take a rocket scientist to understand what is happening.
"The new Hemi 5.7 engines have a common issue leading to misfire codes such as this ones P0300 and thru P0308, with no signs of ignition or fuel issues. Are the new engines junk? How do you Diagnose this problem properly without throwing money at the wrong thing? All this and more discussed in this video! If your ever looking for more tools to get started or add to your collection check out the page on our website for great recommendations - https://www.gearheads-garage.com/tools/

Users who are viewing this thread