5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 1500 engine issues

JHowellAK

Reaction score
Have the update from the shop.

Recall taken care of (ground cable for power steering - i never had an issue with mine)

Misfire caused by two fouled plugs, at least one of which had cracked ceramic. - replaced. saw a decrease in gas mileage about a week ago. will def remember that. mpg back to 19.

Hood switch bad - replaced (tech not available to expound. apparently this would cause remote start issues.)

Groaning noise when driving. Noise found to be coming from etorque system kicking in and out of generator mode. I am unsure if this fixed it (a flash of the computer) but ill find out eventually with more driving. The symptoms point to my parking brake not disengaging all the way when initially beginning to drive -especially in wet weather. I hope this fixed the "service start stop system" light coming on.

purrs like a 400 hp kitten.

Gkmathiesen

"MAX"
Reaction score
Wow!! I just had to take mine in as well this morning. This will be the 4th time since I bought it in October but for different issues. Overall I am extremely satisfied with the truck....However, this time I'm a bit worried. Filled the tank up and as soon as I drove away I noticed a loud "grumbling" and noticed a slight shudder and the RPMs were well past 3K at about 60MPH (Before you ask, no I did NOT put Diesel in it).
Anyhoo, immediately took it into the dealership...we will see. I'm hoping it was just bad gas(doubtful since I always get gas there). In december I took it in for the radio not having any sound and the apple car play was not working correctly (both were fixed and no issues since), but the dealership noticed it was misfiring, so they kept it and fixed the issue (they said it needed a software update) . I'm no mech, but the last 3 times I took it in they said it was software issues. Seems fishy to me. Currently have around 8K miles on it.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Next update! Less than 50 miles after the repair, the missfiring is back. Two hour wait for a tow truck. #fun

Wonder if you also have a stuck injector like mentioned above...

Wow!! I just had to take mine in as well this morning. This will be the 4th time since I bought it in October but for different issues. Overall I am extremely satisfied with the truck....However, this time I'm a bit worried. Filled the tank up and as soon as I drove away I noticed a loud "grumbling" and noticed a slight shudder and the RPMs were well past 3K at about 60MPH (Before you ask, no I did NOT put Diesel in it).
Anyhoo, immediately took it into the dealership...we will see. I'm hoping it was just bad gas(doubtful since I always get gas there). In december I took it in for the radio not having any sound and the apple car play was not working correctly (both were fixed and no issues since), but the dealership noticed it was misfiring, so they kept it and fixed the issue (they said it needed a software update) . I'm no mech, but the last 3 times I took it in they said it was software issues. Seems fishy to me. Currently have around 8K miles on it.

Keep us updated.

JHowellAK

Reaction score

Here you go! Sounds like you had a #5 misfire eh! 8000 miles is very close to mine. Seems like a pattern is appearing.

Looks like this problem is with the etorque engines. So here is the low down. The wiring harness is rubbing against the etorque mounting hardware. Mine was shorting out because it wore all the way through. The fix? new wiring harness and electrical tape. Some pics of the tape attached.

Wonder if you also have a stuck injector like mentioned above...

Keep us updated.
Artsy AF.jpg Close.jpg
#updated

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here you go! Sounds like you had a #5 misfire eh! 8000 miles is very close to mine. Seems like a pattern is appearing.

Looks like this problem is with the etorque engines. So here is the low down. The wiring harness is rubbing against the etorque mounting hardware. Mine was shorting out because it wore all the way through. The fix? new wiring harness and electrical tape. Some pics of the tape attached.

#updated

Something smells fishy.

Did FCA diagnose the harness as being worn through and shorting? Did you see it? Who put the electrical tape on there? A cable harness and the jacketing on the wires are a heckuva lot more durable than electrical tape. This no solution for an abrasion problem.

Regarding a "pattern" of misfires, naw; more like a couple of rare flukes. There are literally MILLIONS of 5.7 Hemi's on the road using the same coilpacks, plugs, and wires. A few out of millions is an acceptable failure rate.

JHowellAK

Reaction score
Something smells fishy.

Did FCA diagnose the harness as being worn through and shorting? Did you see it? Who put the electrical tape on there? A cable harness and the jacketing on the wires are a heckuva lot more durable than electrical tape. This no solution for an abrasion problem.

Regarding a "pattern" of misfires, naw; more like a couple of rare flukes. There are literally MILLIONS of 5.7 Hemi's on the road using the same coilpacks, plugs, and wires. A few out of millions is an acceptable failure rate.
The dealer I brought it to did and let me know what’s going on. As far as my statements before, note the tone :p. I just hope it helps it fix his issue. They just had to secure the wiring away from the mounting hardware.

JHowellAK

Reaction score
The dealer I brought it to did and let me know what’s going on. As far as my statements before, note the tone :p. I just hope it helps it fix his issue. They just had to secure the wiring away from the mounting hardware.

On a side note since i was in the parking lot of the gym when i replied. How many 5.7 w/ etorque are currently on the road?

SouthFL

Reaction score
On a side note since i was in the parking lot of the gym when i replied. How many 5.7 w/ etorque are currently on the road?

What is the build date of your truck? I am, or was, considering the 5.7 etorque. I test drove both a 5.7 and 5.7 etorque and liked how the etorque squeeled the tires a little off the line.

JHowellAK

Reaction score
What is the build date of your truck? I am, or was, considering the 5.7 etorque. I test drove both a 5.7 and 5.7 etorque and liked how the etorque squeeled the tires a little off the line.
July 2018

Gkmathiesen

"MAX"
Reaction score
So here's the update. Just picked it up this morning; it was actually done on Monday but I work 4 1/2 hours from home so I only get home on the weekends(Military life) anyhoo, the MECH said it was a bit of bad gas. He drove it the day after I brought it in and ran it cold and everything was good. When I mentioned that I'd been going to this gas station for the last 4 years he just said sometimes you get a bit of "rough" gas. I asked him if they drained the tank and he said no. I just drove(with the same gas I put in it on Sat) and everything is running fine. Still think it is a bit weird though. I really hope this will be the last time I have to take it in. 4 times since last October is ridiculous with a brand new vehicle; model year or not.

Gkmathiesen

"MAX"
Reaction score

View attachment 15905 View attachment 15906
#updated
I just went out and looked at mine; doesn't appear to be any wear and the wiring harness is already covered up with electrical tape.

steveved

Reaction score
This wiring harness thing intrigues me. I have the 5.7 e-Torque with right at 6000 miles on it. I am going to head out to the driveway and check out this wiring harness.

If this is going to be a "common" problem with E-Torque engines, I should note some wear as I have 2/3 the miles you do. Will try to post pictures.

AlJ

Reaction score
YoAdrian and Sticker500 have made excellent points and suggestions. I'll make one more.

I was once employed as a Field Service Rep for GM. I would advise suppressing your emotions. If you go in hot and say things like you'll never buy another FCA product, or will never buy from that dealer, or start slinging threats, you'll end up demotivating the service people from trying to satisfy you. Try to work with them in a kindly way and let the process lead to a resolution. I think you'll find that they will be far more sympathetic. After all, they are probably just as unhappy about the failure as you are.

Best of luck,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 006538 miles.

Well said Dusty and I agree, which is why I interact with the Dealership and not my wife :)

JHowellAK

Reaction score
Well said.

This time the dealer is replacing my ignition coil.
170 ish miles later if failed again. The dealer had put 125 miles on it to make sure it was ok, it just made me get another tow the next day lol.

They are replacing the computer now. They are thinking the short on the wiring harness did something to it.

Users who are viewing this thread