5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn Tailgate won’t open

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem with my gate. It doesn't want to open. It clicks but doesn't unlatch. I hVe to push on it and try several times before it finally opens. Then it opens well for awhile. It seems to be an intermitten problem. 2 times that I've taken it to the dealer it has opened when they try. It's starting to get pretty frustrating. The dealer claims it works fine and hasn't done anything to it. I think I'm going to have to push the issue.
As a former mechanic, if it doesn't act up, it can't be fixed. Intermittent problems are the worst. Warranty doesn't pay for a mechanic to play with it for an hour to try to make it act up. Next time it acts up, don't keep trying, just get it to the dealer. It's not convenient, but that's the only way for them to see the issue. They can schedule to fix later, but they would see the problem. I had to do that myself with a Cadillac I owned. 5 or 6 times it would not duplicate my problem, so I drove it in while it was acting up. Once they saw the problem, they diagnosed further, and started replacing parts.

RamCares

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem with my gate. It doesn't want to open. It clicks but doesn't unlatch. I hVe to push on it and try several times before it finally opens. Then it opens well for awhile. It seems to be an intermitten problem. 2 times that I've taken it to the dealer it has opened when they try. It's starting to get pretty frustrating. The dealer claims it works fine and hasn't done anything to it. I think I'm going to have to push the issue.
Hi,

If you decide to take this back to your dealership, please reach out. We'd be happy to advocate for you while your vehicle is being diagnosed.

Callie
Ram Cares

samram1500

Reaction score
SOLUTION:
1) encounter the tailgate locking issue
2) go inside and search 5thgenrams for the problem, read this thread,
3) go back out and try again, and the the tailgate magically starts working!
So simple...

Vulpes

Reaction score
SOLUTION:
1) encounter the tailgate locking issue
2) go inside and search 5thgenrams for the problem, read this thread,
3) go back out and try again, and the the tailgate magically starts working!
So simple...
:ROFLMAO:Nailed it! I find the best way to get my tailgate working is to get back to my driveway at my house, after being in the middle of the desert futilely trying to get the tailgate open to access water cans...

RamCares

Reaction score
Does the recall on the tailgate cover this issue?
Hello,

Please send our team a PM with your VIN, we'd like to look into this tailgate concern further for you. Thank you

William
Ram Cares

tonyvander

Reaction score
I’ve had this issue for 2 years I have to pound on the gate to get it to unlatch. I’ve cleaned and lubricated the latch Works ok for a few weeks then problem back
There is a post for a thread but I cannot find it

RamCares

Reaction score
I’ve had this issue for 2 years I have to pound on the gate to get it to unlatch. I’ve cleaned and lubricated the latch Works ok for a few weeks then problem back
There is a post for a thread but I cannot find it
Hello,

Has this concern been diagnosed by our Certified Dealer? Should you need assistance, please send us a PM.

William
Ram Cares

Canadian

Reaction score
Just got a 2019 limited having this exact issue and yet I send hundreds of people are experiencing the same problem for the last 3 years just wonder why this hasn’t been a recall yet and been fixed !! Very disappointed RAM

6of36

Reaction score
Just got a 2019 limited having this exact issue and yet I send hundreds of people are experiencing the same problem for the last 3 years just wonder why this hasn’t been a recall yet and been fixed !! Very disappointed RAM
It probably just needs an adjustment, which will not be covered by warranty on a 2019. Recalls are only issued for safety issues, which a sticky latch is not. I'll be tickled if I go 5 years with just a sticky latch problem.

Users who are viewing this thread