5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 1500 48v Battery Low Charge

DudeForever

Reaction score
Hello, I searched for this issue but was unable to find anything so I made this post. I recently purchased a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie with etorque. I had it for 2 days and the check engine light came on. I checked it at autozone but they said there computer saw no code and I should take it to dealership. After 5 hours at the dealership a mechanic there told me the 48v battery is low at 60% charge, but if I drove it for around 1000 miles that would charge it back up and turn off the check engine light. I tried doing research but couldn’t find anything, has anyone here had that kind of experience with the 48v battery? Will just driving it get it back to full charge, and why did this check engine light not give a code? Thank you for any help.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hello, I searched for this issue but was unable to find anything so I made this post. I recently purchased a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie with etorque. I had it for 2 days and the check engine light came on. I checked it at autozone but they said there computer saw no code and I should take it to dealership. After 5 hours at the dealership a mechanic there told me the 48v battery is low at 60% charge, but if I drove it for around 1000 miles that would charge it back up and turn off the check engine light. I tried doing research but couldn’t find anything, has anyone here had that kind of experience with the 48v battery? Will just driving it get it back to full charge, and why did this check engine light not give a code? Thank you for any help.
Welcome to the forum . I haven't heard about that before but maybe somebody that has Etorque can answer your question .

DudeForever

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum . I haven't heard about that before but maybe somebody that has Etorque can answer your question .
Thank you. I previously owned a 2017 Ram 1500 base, never a problem even drove across the country and back twice in it. Little upset to think I got myself an upgrade and now just a few days later I’m dealing with an unknown issue.

DudeForever

Reaction score
Never heard of this either and I have etorque on my 2019 too.
Thank you for the reply, has your etorque ever been at a “low charge”? I thought I understood what I was getting so a low battery in the 48v is concerning, but the mechanic seemed earnest that just giving it time and driving would charge it back up and I would have no issues. Guess I have no choice but to drive and hope for the best.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't see why the 48V battery being at 60% would be an issue at all. It's a fairly tiny battery when it comes to hybrid systems, and I'd imagine it goes below 60% charge fairly regularly.

DudeForever

Reaction score
I don't see why the 48V battery being at 60% would be an issue at all. It's a fairly tiny battery when it comes to hybrid systems, and I'd imagine it goes below 60% charge fairly regularly.
I thought that it was odd based on my understanding but I’m no mechanic so I took what the mechanic at dealership said and got out of there, already upset with being told that I would be seen quickly since I just bought it then sitting and waiting for 5 hours for them to really do nothing for me other than say “yeah you need to drive it more”

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply, has your etorque ever been at a “low charge”? I thought I understood what I was getting so a low battery in the 48v is concerning, but the mechanic seemed earnest that just giving it time and driving would charge it back up and I would have no issues. Guess I have no choice but to drive and hope for the best.
Mine has never been at low charge that I am aware of and I am at almost 36k miles.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My understanding is it is part of the emissions warranty in some states, and powertrain everywhere. If it doesn't get better then take it in. City driving while turning off the auto start/stop should charge it back up quicker.

busman15

Reaction score
I have a 2022 RAM 1500 that has experienced check engine light on and low battery light, after the 3 trip the dealer ordered new 48 volt battery and installed but I am still concerned about intermittent short may be causing problems. The dealer should involve Chrysler engineering from Detroit to get resolved. I hope this helps my truck is only 15 months old.

Users who are viewing this thread