5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 No Start but Battery Tests Okay.

robinck

Reaction score
2019 1500 that after being parked for about an hour wouldn't start as if it had a dead battery. Accessory power came on like normal but the starter would click once and do nothing and a CEL came on. Used a jump pack and the truck started up just fine. I then drove home, turned the truck off, and it restarted just fine without the jump pack.

Immediately took it to an AutoZone and their battery tester said the battery was fully charged and that the charging system and alternator checked out fine as well. Truck again started up fine again but still has the CEL on.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If your truck has the original battery, replace it. There are plenty of threads where a battery tests good, but it is actually bad.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
The battery may have the correct voltage but it also needs the correct amperage to be "good". If it's the original battery I would replace it regardless because these trucks are sensitive to battery output with all the electronics in them

robinck

Reaction score
Everyone here was correct, just a dead battery as expected. Went out to try and start this morning and had a more common dead battery start where it tried to weakly turn over a couple times. Replaced it with an H8 AGM and all is good. Thanks!

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
Mine did this same thing yesterday and I had to drag out my generator and battery charger to get it cranked.
It cranked up this morning after letting it fully charge last night but I will be getting a new battery today.
It's had a couple electrical gremlins the past couple weeks, (throwing codes for misfire on cyl 8 and O2 sensor rich), so it will be interesting to see what all a new battery fixes and what's just plain ready for some attention at 75k miles.

Users who are viewing this thread