5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Laramie oil pan and plug rust at 9000 miles

henrod

Reaction score
My 2019 Laramie Sport has 9000 mi on it. I had the dealer change the oil at 4500 miles and I decided to do it myself at 9000 mi. I'm glad I did because I found corrosion around the plug hole and the plug gasket melted to it. Also spots starting farther up the pan. Pic attached. This has only been through a single winter and I wash the salt off undercarriage atleast every week when they salt the roads. I've seen enough postings about RAM oil pans rusting badly but was hoping by 2019 this would not be a problem. If these are double walled it seems to me the issue is the space between at different temperatures and condensation rusting from inside out. And there also the issue of the oil plug gasket melting. Anybody else seeing this and able to get RAM to cover replacement under warranty? 2019oilpanplugrust9000milles.jpg

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hard to say. Does this vehicle spend any amount of time on dirt or gravel roads?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 042863 miles.

jth877

Reaction score
Cheap metal. I remember the jeep liberty I had was famous for rusting oil pans. People had 3 year old liberties that needed new oil pans.

Rupp

Reaction score
Mix some chainsaw chain oil, with Kerosene and spray that pan and you'll have no more rust.

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
What state do you live in? I believe in NY the fact that they use road salt in winter voids any anti corrosion warranty. Not positive.

But I would inquire with a few dealerships via email for potential concern. If no one will do anything call ram cares. If they do nothing take rust prevention in own hands, sand, prep, POR15.

jth877

Reaction score
Yes, NY is very bad for road salt and liquid sodium chloride. You can use fluid film, woolwax or eastwoods heavy duty anti rust which is a cosmoline spray or a combo of either. I use the anti rust on hardware, suspension arms and axles. Fluid film in doors, in frames and other cavities. Wool wax on everything else.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My 2019 Laramie Sport has 9000 mi on it. I had the dealer change the oil at 4500 miles and I decided to do it myself at 9000 mi. I'm glad I did because I found corrosion around the plug hole and the plug gasket melted to it. Also spots starting farther up the pan. Pic attached. This has only been through a single winter and I wash the salt off undercarriage atleast every week when they salt the roads. I've seen enough postings about RAM oil pans rusting badly but was hoping by 2019 this would not be a problem. If these are double walled it seems to me the issue is the space between at different temperatures and condensation rusting from inside out. And there also the issue of the oil plug gasket melting. Anybody else seeing this and able to get RAM to cover replacement under warranty?
Hi @henrod - If this is something you decide to address with your Ram dealer, please do not hesitate to follow up with our customer care team for further support during that process. You may call in at 866-726-4636 or submit your info here to receive an email follow up. https://www.ramtrucks.com/webselfservice/ram/emailpage.html

Mark
RamCares

Scram1500

Reaction score
Vehicles are doomed in the rust belt. More concerning than the oil pan will be the brake lines

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Vehicles are doomed in the rust belt. More concerning than the oil pan will be the brake lines
They're using much better materials than they use to use for brake lines. Both my son's 2006 and 2001 Rams still have the original steel brake lines.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 042884 miles.

HAL9001

Reaction score
I live in a salt belt. The first thing I do with any new vehicle I buy is to rustproof it. I've done this with several vehicles now and they last well over 10 years with zero issues. They probably last much longer, but 10 years is as long as I keep vehicles. I use military-grade cosmoline which is the best rustproofing available in my opinion because it dries hard but remains flexible and self-curing. It's almost impossible to remove except by strong solvents, so it lasts.

It's not a hard job although it's not pleasant and takes a couple of hours. A full-face respirator is required. The cost for all materials and PPE is around $150-$200. Well worth the cost and effort if you live in an area where salt is used and you keep your vehicles longer than 5 years.

Last edited:

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
The question becomes if you sell it in 4 or 5 years is it worth undercoating? $200-$300/year adds up.

jth877

Reaction score
The question becomes if you sell it in 4 or 5 years is it worth undercoating? $200-$300/year adds up.
Well, I can testify that in upstate NY, Saratoga/Albany area, that my 2017 was rusting on the rear bumper coming out of the step pads and inside the metal fold of the right rear wheel well after 3 winters. The truck was routinely cleaned but I never put on any rust proofing.

The new 2020 I rust proofed with lanoline wax sprays, both cans (low viscosity) and with undercoating gun along with cosmoline.

Woolwax is the new improved fluid film. It takes about 4 quarts to do one truck not including rockers an doors. You can buy fluid film for the rockers and doors and make sure you get the 24inch 360 wand that fit the spray cans for that.

We bought the 5 gallon black kit with progun and split it between between 3 people. It's nice to know somebody with a lift. https://www.woolwaxusa.com/Woolwax®-Undercoat-Kit-4-Quarts-PRO-GUN-with-2-Extension-wands_p_42.html

nburd

Reaction score
Darnit, I did not coat my Oil Pan with Undercoating last weekend. I guess I will now. Brine is not our friend for sure. It will take a long time for that to rust through though. You could just sand a little and use rustoleum as well but where the plug rubs, it will lever stay. The area around the fill plug was never painted (or pan painted with the plug in it), so that bare steel will rust with our liquid salt. It will happen to any vehicle.

HAL9001

Reaction score
Military-grade cosmoline, which is what I used, typically lasts 5-10 years or longer, depending on how well and how thick it was applied. So you only need to do it once, perhaps twice, every 10 years. The stuff, if you've never seen it, is as tough as nails and, in my opinion, is the best rust-proofing you can buy, which is why the military uses it. It does not wear off, peel off, or evaporate. It's an extremely tough yet flexible, self-healing compound that cannot be removed with anything encountered on the road or in normal use including saltwater, strong detergents, or even pressure washing. The only way to remove it is with strong solvents such as Naphtha. And because it dries hard, it does not pick up road dirt or salt like rust proofings which remain tacky.

But to answer your question, I personally wouldn't do it unless there was a chance of keeping the vehicle 5 years or longer. Typically, factory rust prevention lasts about 5 years or more, so it's not worth the trouble if you sell your vehicles every 5 years or sooner.

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
For work to aid in my vehicle payment I have to have a vehicle model current 6 years within current year so I am in the wishy washy boat

henrod

Reaction score
After hearing from the dealership that the oil pan corrosion is expected, I finally spent the time to deal with it before the winter road salt got to it and made it worse.

Check out the before and after pics. I took a wire wheel to it and you can see it's more than just surface rust. If I tried to brush it all out of some spots it would probably cause a hole through the metal. So instead of just regular high temp paint I put a coat of POR-15 on it. They make a kit with a 4 oz can in it for approx $25.

So far no problems. I also added the Fumoto F106SX valve so I don't have to remove a plug and cause damage to the paint around it. I'll let you know how it holds up this winter.

thumbnail_IMG_3329.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3338.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3339.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3485.jpg

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2019 Laramie Sport has 9000 mi on it. I had the dealer change the oil at 4500 miles and I decided to do it myself at 9000 mi. I'm glad I did because I found corrosion around the plug hole and the plug gasket melted to it. Also spots starting farther up the pan. Pic attached. This has only been through a single winter and I wash the salt off undercarriage atleast every week when they salt the roads. I've seen enough postings about RAM oil pans rusting badly but was hoping by 2019 this would not be a problem. If these are double walled it seems to me the issue is the space between at different temperatures and condensation rusting from inside out. And there also the issue of the oil plug gasket melting. Anybody else seeing this and able to get RAM to cover replacement under warranty? View attachment 74049
Drive through salted roads and forget to rinse the undercarriage when you got home...? If not...then wtf. It would definitely be covered under bumper to bumper warranty.

Boston

Reaction score
Looks like the threads are made up of a different metal to the rest of the pan.

The rust is caused by differential corrosion as the two metals basically attack each other and rot out.

Scram1500

Reaction score
It could be galvanic corrosion from the brass fitting. Oxides attack the steel more vigorously due to electron transfer between the two different metals. Ships and subs have sacrificial metal plates made out of Zinc and other alloys bolted to the hull. Those plates "rust" instead of the rest of the boat

Jako

Reaction score
They're using much better materials than they use to use for brake lines. Both my son's 2006 and 2001 Rams still have the original steel brake lines.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 042884 miles.
My 2001 had the brake lines go 3 times and finally had the lines replaced, my brothers 2000 Dodge 2500 suffered the same fate. NY and NJ

Users who are viewing this thread