5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Laramie leather seat cracking and peeling issue

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Please let me know best way to follow up with you in private
By hovering over our profile name, you are able to select "start a conversation." We will get back to your message as soon as possible in order to assist throughout the remainder of your dealer service. Thank you!

Michelle
Ram Cares

Code2medic

Reaction score
By hovering over our profile name, you are able to select "start a conversation." We will get back to your message as soon as possible in order to assist throughout the remainder of your dealer service. Thank you!

Michelle
Ram Cares
Cheers

now how about directly the people who make decisions to take a look at why brand new vehicles are constantly breaking exhaust manifold bolts or have cracking issues..... no reason why that should be happening under 40 thousand miles

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Michelle how do I reach you to give you the info you need
Hello Pete,

I took the liberty of starting a conversation with you! Moving forward feel free to continue our conversation privately.

Hannah
Ram Cares

Tmoney76

Reaction score
Been a lurker on this forum since I purchased a new 21 Laramie 3 weeks ago. Just found 3 separate spots just like this on the rear seats. Nobody has ever sat in the rear seats. Very frustrating 1200 miles on this truck🤦🏼‍♂️

Last edited:

redneck

Reaction score
dealer ship told me dont worry its covered under the 3-36 warranty i just want it documented that it was looking weird at 800 miles & they are too lazy to type it up

Pete M

Reaction score
Now Spring is here My limited has the same issue with the center section wrinkling up on the back seat upper and lower section, did RAM replace this cover for you?
After numerous emails over a couple of weeks I finally got a chance to talk with a live person at RamCares (now that’s an oxymoron if I ever heard one). The wonderful lady Maxine informed me “the Higher Ups reviewed the decision from Ram digital” whoever that is “and agreed that splittleather seats”, at 22000 miles, “is considered normal wear and tear and not covered by Ram warranty”. When asked who the Higher Ups are and how do I dispute this position Maxine said there is no way to reach the “Higher ups” or further dispute the issue. She then went on to repeat her script that “the Higher ups reviewed the Ram digital decision and decided this is normal wear and tear and the seat cover would not be replaced under warranty”. Did I mention that she repeated this same script at least 5 times during the call?
After getting tired of hearing the same script over and over I asked Maxine to give me the telephone number for a Ram Customer Service Representative that I could talk to as clearly splitting leather seats at 2 years and 22000 miles is not normal wear and tear unless you are selling a completely inferior product. I am asking Ram to show me what they consider “Normal wear and tear” on a leather seat with 22000 miles. What is concerning to me is I have never been allowed to see the pictures Ram Digital is basing their decision on.
Perhaps the pictures from the dealer that were sent in are a poor representation of the issue and that is why they think it is normal wear and tear. Perhaps it is Ram knows they have a huge issue on their hands with defective leather used for the seats on their New Ram 1500 trucks. Might be the beginning of their defense to avoid a class action lawsuit regarding defective leather used in their seats.
You can bet Ram has not heard the end of this issue from me.

Pete M

Reaction score
After numerous emails over a couple of weeks I finally got a chance to talk with a live person at RamCares (now that’s an oxymoron if I ever heard one). The wonderful lady Maxine informed me “the Higher Ups reviewed the decision from Ram digital” whoever that is “and agreed that splittleather seats”, at 22000 miles, “is considered normal wear and tear and not covered by Ram warranty”. When asked who the Higher Ups are and how do I dispute this position Maxine said there is no way to reach the “Higher ups” or further dispute the issue. She then went on to repeat her script that “the Higher ups reviewed the Ram digital decision and decided this is normal wear and tear and the seat cover would not be replaced under warranty”. Did I mention that she repeated this same script at least 5 times during the call?
After getting tired of hearing the same script over and over I asked Maxine to give me the telephone number for a Ram Customer Service Representative that I could talk to as clearly splitting leather seats at 2 years and 22000 miles is not normal wear and tear unless you are selling a completely inferior product. I am asking Ram to show me what they consider “Normal wear and tear” on a leather seat with 22000 miles. What is concerning to me is I have never been allowed to see the pictures Ram Digital is basing their decision on.
Perhaps the pictures from the dealer that were sent in are a poor representation of the issue and that is why they think it is normal wear and tear. Perhaps it is Ram knows they have a huge issue on their hands with defective leather used for the seats on their New Ram 1500 trucks. Might be the beginning of their defense to avoid a class action lawsuit regarding defective leather used in their seats.
You can bet Ram has not heard the end of this issue from me.
One thing I forgot from the call. Maxine told me there is no telephone number for Ram Customer Service to call. After saying I didn’t believe that she started to give me a PO address I could write to. Needless to say I am far from impressed with my Ram /FCA vehicle. Whoever decided to give the Ram 1500 the truck of the year award for three years has not had to deal with the lack of Ram standing behind their vehicles. Bad enough that there have been as many recalls as there have been on the new 1500.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One thing I forgot from the call. Maxine told me there is no telephone number for Ram Customer Service to call. After saying I didn’t believe that she started to give me a PO address I could write to. Needless to say I am far from impressed with my Ram /FCA vehicle. Whoever decided to give the Ram 1500 the truck of the year award for three years has not had to deal with the lack of Ram standing behind their vehicles. Bad enough that there have been as many recalls as there have been on the new 1500.
Hi Pete, sorry about your seats. I too had a problem with my front drivers seat after 6 months. FCA replaced my seat cover after my dealership pushed hard for me and sent in good pictures of the damage. There are other threads on the forum about this. These were started back in 2018-2019 period. I believe you will find numerous pictures of the kind of issues people were having then. Please post pictures of your seat and I will tell you if it looks the same as those earlier issues. I can’t stress enough though how much the dealership can help if they back you.

Pete M

Reaction score
Hi Pete, sorry about your seats. I too had a problem with my front drivers seat after 6 months. FCA replaced my seat cover after my dealership pushed hard for me and sent in good pictures of the damage. There are other threads on the forum about this. These were started back in 2018-2019 period. I believe you will find numerous pictures of the kind of issues people were having then. Please post pictures of your seat and I will tell you if it looks the same as those earlier issues. I can’t stress enough though how much the dealership can help if they back you.
Here are a couple of pics. Hate to see this seat at 50000

Attachments

• AA438FF0-AFDC-4EA2-99A2-8AA84F7A5AD2.jpeg
    AA438FF0-AFDC-4EA2-99A2-8AA84F7A5AD2.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 99
  • 414A2755-BF9C-4FE8-8978-892687715135.jpeg
    414A2755-BF9C-4FE8-8978-892687715135.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 99

Pete M

Reaction score
I’ve read many of the previous posts so that is how I knew my issue wasn’t a one of a kind. FCA is fighting this because they know this is a huge potential problem/cost for them. But once the word gets out about putting out inferior products the cost to FCA will be greater. Might have out sold Silverado for a short time but experiences like mine dealing with FCA will send many of us back to GM and Ford. Again that doesn’t take into account the multiple recalls already and the small annoying issues that we just put up with.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry for your issues, but I have had only a few issues with my truck and all were repaired to my satisfaction. Love my truck.

redneck

Reaction score
taking mine in to get some door lights fixed bumper leveled out & have them document my leather problems that started at 600 miles. we will see how im treated. i agree i have had 4 gmc trucks over the last 14 years & their is never any problem getting a gmc repaired under warranty. & a free loaner if it is going be over 6 hours to repair. fca needs to step it up

Saints

Reaction score
Are you sliding in and out of your truck? Do you have a lift? Do you have nerf bars to assist you getting into and out of the truck? The reason I ask is that from the pics you provided I would 100% believe this and consider it normal wear and tear.

Klicht87

Reaction score
Are you sliding in and out of your truck? Do you have a lift? Do you have nerf bars to assist you getting into and out of the truck? The reason I ask is that from the pics you provided I would 100% believe this and consider it normal wear and tear.
I would have to agree. The chevy colorados had issues with the leather ripping in that same spot. I know, different truck. But the cause of it was because the truck is at an awkward height to have steps but not really need them which results in stepping in and sliding into the seat. It still sucks that you have that type of wear and tear already but the pictures do seem to indicate sliding in and out.

Pete M

Reaction score
I have factory running boards and no lift. I enter truck as I have all other vehicles. There is no way the wear or cracking on the seat is normal wear and tear if standard leather, not inferior leather is used by manufacturer. Two years of use should not look like this.

Klicht87

Reaction score
I have factory running boards and no lift. I enter truck as I have all other vehicles. There is no way the wear or cracking on the seat is normal wear and tear if standard leather, not inferior leather is used by manufacturer. Two years of use should not look like this.
Understand. Just throwing info out there...I've never really had great luck with leather. I installed katzkin in my 2018 colorado before my current ram and it started showing wear signs early on. If your case doesn't go through, maybe consult a professional upholstery shot or test some leather conditioners out.

Users who are viewing this thread