5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 knocking/tapping issue

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey man. Live far up north. Recently brought my truck in for service and mentioned to them that ny tick was back and thru should look at my manifold bolting. They diagnosed it as as "knock" this time. Long story short, the pulled it apart and found scoring in cylinder 5. Currently waiting on an engine replacement as its still under extended. I'll post more after I get the full report back.

104000 km

Was your tick there during both cold and hot idle, or only during a hot idle?

Jonnybow

Reaction score
Just got my truck back from the dealer, they replaced both manifolds and some bolts and it's silent on a cold start now. Glad mine wasn't an engine issue along with a manifold issue. Fixed for now!

Haully11

Reaction score
Made a service appt with a different local ram dealer. Their lead tech actually took time to listen to the videos I sent and he sent me an email that he has some theories but didn’t want to say anything else until they look at it. Earliest appt was 3rd week of March.

CNC99

Reaction score
Mine has the same sound as the videos here, I think I will be making an appointment at the dealership as I’ve got 10k miles left in my power train warranty. Fingers crossed they will acknowledge and diagnose the knock. I’ll probably be making a trip to my dealer soon…

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
This happens when the truck idles, it isn’t in sync with the engine rpms - it’s always the same regardless of how I rev the engine.

Knock

JLaw297

Reaction score
Made a service appt with a different local ram dealer. Their lead tech actually took time to listen to the videos I sent and he sent me an email that he has some theories but didn’t want to say anything else until they look at it. Earliest appt was 3rd week of March.

Any feedback from your appointment?

Haully11

Reaction score
Any feedback from your appointment?
2nd dealer had it one day and said couldn't duplicate. They didn't even hook it up to a computer to check for misfires or anything. I picked the truck up 2 days later because I was out of town and the truck knocked in their parking lot. Took video of it for documentation. Ramcares/Stellantis case management whatever they are called are doing absolutely nothing other than telling me to take it back to the dealer. I just keep documenting it....Not sure what else to do. Truck has not changed whatsoever. I took video of the knocking/tapping just this morning before I left for work. I do plan to get my hands on a code reader or take it to AutoZone to see if the "rapid misfires" are still occurring but haven't had the chance yet.

JLaw297

Reaction score
Yeah this is the exact reason I haven’t taken mine back. I first noticed mine doing it at 32k miles, now has 68k and no change. I don’t think a failed lifter would last that long. You would also think if that were the case you would hear it at operating temp, but I still don’t..which makes it a tough diag.

As mentioned previously they checked the manifolds and had to replace the stud on the passenger side but that was it. No change to how it sounds. Never sounded like an exhaust leak either to me.

RamCares

Reaction score
2nd dealer had it one day and said couldn't duplicate. They didn't even hook it up to a computer to check for misfires or anything. I picked the truck up 2 days later because I was out of town and the truck knocked in their parking lot. Took video of it for documentation. Ramcares/Stellantis case management whatever they are called are doing absolutely nothing other than telling me to take it back to the dealer. I just keep documenting it....Not sure what else to do. Truck has not changed whatsoever. I took video of the knocking/tapping just this morning before I left for work. I do plan to get my hands on a code reader or take it to AutoZone to see if the "rapid misfires" are still occurring but haven't had the chance yet.
Hey there,

If you'd like some extra assistance with your case, please reach out to us via direct messaging.

Callie
Ram Cares

Haully11

Reaction score
Reviving my own thread. Truck still taps/knocks if not worse than before. My powertrain ran out in September. Both dealers I've been too did nothing when it was still under warranty. I had a Ram"cares" case open that was absolutely worthless and they just told me there was nothing I could do because the dealers are saying its normal or they couldn't replicate the issue. Here are two videos I took last week. This is not a normal noise. PERIOD. Anybody have any advice for me?

JLaw297

Reaction score
Dealer replaced both my manifolds, no change in sound. Mine only makes this sound for a brief period during warm up and only at idle. Once warmed up can’t hear a hint of it. Does yours do it even warmed up?

Haully11

Reaction score
dealer didn't even mention manifolds or exhaust bolts when I took it in. It does quiet down but I am pretty confident that it still taps once warm. It is hard to tell while driving because I have ridge grappler tires and the road noise. But if I can hear tapping while sitting in a drive through. The noise is most evident on a cold start but it doesn't start right away. Mine is clearly in sync with the RPMS as you can hear it speed it when I give it gas. So yours doesn't increase with RPMS?

Bob.

Reaction score
If your not already using this, next oil change try synthetic, or next heavier weight oil in your owners manual. It might help lube (or fill the voids) better. Mine sounds like yours, but maybe not as loud. I don't hear anything when the motor is warmed up, only cold start.
Some engines have more slop in them so they rattle a little. It can do it all it's life. Jeep V6's rattle and they run forever.
I wouldn't worry about it, turn the radio louder.

6of36

Reaction score
If your not already using this, next oil change try synthetic, or next heavier weight oil in your owners manual. It might help lube (or fill the voids) better. Mine sounds like yours, but maybe not as loud. I don't hear anything when the motor is warmed up, only cold start.
Some engines have more slop in them so they rattle a little. It can do it all it's life. Jeep V6's rattle and they run forever.
I wouldn't worry about it, turn the radio louder.
Current manuals say synthetic only.

6of36

Reaction score
Page 345 of 24 manual.

Synthetic Engine Oils
Your engine was designed for synthetic engine oils, only
use synthetic API approved engine oils.
Synthetic engine oils which do not have both the correct
API trademark and the correct SAE viscosity grade numbers
should not be used.

JLaw297

Reaction score
I’ve always used synthetic in the truck, changed every 5k. Some brands quieter than others. Would love to try 5w30 to see what impact it has on the “slop” this engine might have when cold. Was thinking I’d wait till I was out of warranty, but on the flip side it could answer some questions I’d like to know before that’s up. *Now insert a bunch of comments how 5w20 and 5w30 are the same viscosity at colder temps* Since they don’t make a 10w20 would have to use 10w30 and that would likely throw MDS codes.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Reviving my own thread. Truck still taps/knocks if not worse than before. My powertrain ran out in September. Both dealers I've been too did nothing when it was still under warranty. I had a Ram"cares" case open that was absolutely worthless and they just told me there was nothing I could do because the dealers are saying its normal or they couldn't replicate the issue. Here are two videos I took last week. This is not a normal noise. PERIOD. Anybody have any advice for me?

It's unlikely that a bad lifter would have made it this long. You need to try a third dealership or an independent mechanic. Odds are this is manifold related. How many miles on the truck now?

Users who are viewing this thread