5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 knocking/tapping issue

Haully11

Reaction score
Hello all. I’m a new member and this is my first 1500 gasser. Coming from a long history of Cummins trucks. Truck has 36k on it. It has developed what I consider a metallic knock/tapping on cold starts. It is rhythmic with rpms. I have done a lot of research and watched a lot of videos and this does not sound like the normal hemi tick or exhaust leaks. I’ve had it to the dealer once already because my exhaust bolts rusted and broke and I asked the dealer to look in to this knocking/tapping noise as well. They fixed the exhaust connection and told me the sound went away. Yeah ok clearly not the case and the 2 problems are not related. I have numerous videos from cold starts to document the problem. The truck also seems to be down on power, I notice a hesitation under acceleration and there is audible spark knock/detonation. I do plan to take it back to the dealer but any input on cause? I’m thinking lifter/cam failure…link to video is below.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Check for misfires. If you are thinking lifter/cam and there is noticeable hesitation, misfires would all but confirm a bad lifter.

JLaw297

Reaction score
So I’m not the only one! My sounds the exact same as well. Your video captures it better. Mine has been doing it since 32k miles and now has 53k. Gets good mileage and runs great just sounds like coin star when idling cold. Once warmed up completely gone. Dropping it off at the dealer soon to see what they say. Definitely doesn’t sound like a cracked manifold to me.

Haully11

Reaction score
So I’m not the only one! My sounds the exact same as well. Your video captures it better. Mine has been doing it since 32k miles and now has 53k. Gets good mileage and runs great just sounds like coin star when idling cold. Once warmed up completely gone. Dropping it off at the dealer soon to see what they say. Definitely doesn’t sound like a cracked manifold to me.

Sounds very similar. I called for an appointment today and 7/25 is the earliest I could get in...

JLaw297

Reaction score
I was able to snag an appointment for mid next week. I will let you know what they find with mine. Definitely sounds like a lifter but odd that it goes away once warm or with any kind of rev off idle. In my case at least..

Bob.

Reaction score
Spray soapy water around the exhaust manifold when cold. You will see steam blowing if you have an exhaust leak.
That sound to me is the fuel injection which by my ear sounds normal. Of course I have a tin ear on a crappy phone ...

Haully11

Reaction score
I was able to snag an appointment for mid next week. I will let you know what they find with mine. Definitely sounds like a lifter but odd that it goes away once warm or with any kind of rev off idle. In my case at least..

Any update this week?

JLaw297

Reaction score
Got the truck back yesterday, they found the manifold bolts were broken on the passenger side so they replaced all the bolts on that side of the motor. Started it this morning and still sounds the same haha. Knew it wouldn’t be a fix especially since I hear it more in the driver side.

Haully11

Reaction score
Awesome. I figured they would chalk it up to some exhaust leak, which it is not. Typical dealer trying to avoid the actual problem and costlier repair. I expect them to say the same when I take mine in or just say that it sounds normal...

drsmitty74

Reaction score
I have the same thing. Mine has a cracked exhaust manifold on passenger side. Waiting 2 months now on parts. This is a known issue. Manifolds are now sold in pairs. They are replacing both when replacing one. Tapping goes away as metal warms up, expands and closes the crack slightly.

2019 Limited with 58K miles. Being covered under PWT warranty.

JLaw297

Reaction score
Mine were not cracked though, just broken bolts and it still knocks during cold idle after those were fixed. My guess is Chrysler won’t approve the warranty work for the real problem (lifters) until a check engine light occurs.

JLaw297

Reaction score
OP - any updates on what the dealer is saying about yours?

Haully11

Reaction score
Unfortunately no. Something came up and had to reschedule my service appointment. Got pushed back to 8/17...

rgmg0492

Reaction score
I took mine in last Monday for the same thing. They told me there is a Star Case for the Hemi Tick and had to do four procedures and if any of then produced metal shavings then they would have to replace my engine. If there are no shavings then it would be a cam shaft and lifters replaced. They called me Friday and said they would have to order the engine. When they removed the Oil Control Valve it was covered in shavings. So I am in a loaner for another week or so. Google Star Case Hemi Tick and it gives some info. I have 32,000 miles on mine.

Haully11

Reaction score
I took mine in last Monday for the same thing. They told me there is a Star Case for the Hemi Tick and had to do four procedures and if any of then produced metal shavings then they would have to replace my engine. If there are no shavings then it would be a cam shaft and lifters replaced. They called me Friday and said they would have to order the engine. When they removed the Oil Control Valve it was covered in shavings. So I am in a loaner for another week or so. Google Star Case Hemi Tick and it gives some info. I have 32,000 miles on mine.
Sorry to hear that. Dealer had mine for 2 days and couldn't produce symptoms. It had been relatively hot in the mornings on those days so I don't think they were able to do a true cold start. On colder mornings since I have had the truck back it has knocked. All I can do at this point is continue to document it and make another appointment when it is cooler out. Very frustrating to say the least...39k on mine.

JLaw297

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. Dealer had mine for 2 days and couldn't produce symptoms. It had been relatively hot in the mornings on those days so I don't think they were able to do a true cold start. On colder mornings since I have had the truck back it has knocked. All I can do at this point is continue to document it and make another appointment when it is cooler out. Very frustrating to say the least...39k on mine.

I'm in the same position.. I just changed the oil over to Valvoline (lots of moly in their GF6 oils) and it's been significantly quieter so it'll be a lot harder for them to hear now. I don't think they're going to do a whole lot or tear into the engine to diag something that isn't throwing a check engine light. With 55K on the clock and a CPO 100K mile warranty, I guess I'll keep up with my 5k oil changes and wait to see what happens. If it's a lifter going, I don't foresee it hanging on for another 45K. But if it was... it shouldn't disappear once it's warm either.

rgmg0492

Reaction score
I made a recording of it on my phone in case they couldn't produce the same symptoms and told them if they couldn't produce it I would text them the video. I did the same thing for the steering locking when slightly turning left after the steering system is hot. They gave me a little bit of a hard time until I showed them the video and then they fixed it with the TSB I had given them.

rgmg0492

Reaction score
Video from this morning.

That is exactly what mine sounded like. Still waiting to get it back from the dealer. The engine they ordered had stripped bearing cap bolts on the crank. They had to get another engine.

JLaw297

Reaction score
That is exactly what mine sounded like. Still waiting to get it back from the dealer. The engine they ordered had stripped bearing cap bolts on the crank. They had to get another engine.

What was the diagnosis of your engine? Any check engine lights? Mine sounds like this as well until warmed up.

Users who are viewing this thread