5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Folding Tonneau Cover: OEM vs BakFlip vs Gator

19Jake

Reaction score
GATOR SFX soft tri-fold ~ paid $219
fast/free shipping, nice quality, simple install, perfect fit/tight seal (y) IMG_2561.JPG IMG_2549.JPG IMG_2611.JPG

Last edited:

EVILLIME

Reaction score
I have the OEM, It came with the truck. I am not impressed with it. I get leaks every time it rains add the cover does not fit properly IMO. RAM thinks it fits fine and is not a problem. They said all covers leak. I will be ordering the MX4, hope it is better. It definitely looks better being that it sits flush.

reyn3545

Reaction score
How do you like your cover so far. Right now I have a BakFlip F1 on my 2017 Ram 1500 which is ok. I don't like two things. The first is the durability of the panel finish. Second is the way BakFlip rests against the cab in the bull open position. How do you like the Undercover full open position? Does it seam sturdy in this position? Can you stand on it in the open position like you can with the BakFlip?

I'm thinking about ordering an F1, and I saw your post. Does the finish not hold up well? I was concerned about the MX4 getting scratched and dented, so I was going with the F1.

Ls15

Reaction score
For all those that have ordered the bakflip mx4 what did you pay for it? There’s huge discrepancies in pricing I feel

DakotaRam

Reaction score
For all those that have ordered the bakflip mx4 what did you pay for it? There’s huge discrepancies in pricing I feel
I emailed first for price quote then ordered by phone. $755 at the time I ordered from truck alterations $935 I believe it showed on their website back then.

Csiezega

Reaction score

Paid $755 bout a month ago, truck alterations is def the way to go! FYI my back flip gets small leaks but nothing that would cause damage to anything...I had one of the rails damaged on shipment, Lucas was very responsive getting a replacement from bakflip sent out. I was able to bend the damaged one back into shape, I will replace it with the new one when the weather gets nicer
5c10fa8ab10610c98c9f873bd217220c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K.Johnson

Reaction score
I purchased the UnderCover UltraFlex tanneau cover. I love it, couldn't be happier, its price is a little steep but its aluminum, flush sitting trifold, carpeted on the underside, and comes with an LED light to mount on the driver side. Price runs about $990 shipped

Attachments

• IMG_20181218_164423_01.jpg
    IMG_20181218_164423_01.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_20181218_164423_02.jpg
    IMG_20181218_164423_02.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_20181218_164423_03.jpg
    IMG_20181218_164423_03.jpg
    380.7 KB · Views: 255

reyn3545

Reaction score
I assume that whoever you buy from, the covers are shipping direct from the manufacturer.... correct?

K.Johnson

Reaction score
I assume that whoever you buy from, the covers are shipping direct from the manufacturer.... correct?

I went through my local customization shop because they offered me free next day shipping from the UnderCover warehouse facility out of ATL. Im in GA though so that may have something to do with the next day deal. They also covered my tax if i paid in cash..... Sketchy, maybe but saved me $80.oo lol.

ptrnfan

Reaction score
I'm thinking about ordering an F1, and I saw your post. Does the finish not hold up well? I was concerned about the MX4 getting scratched and dented, so I was going with the F1.
The glass fibers started to show. Not rough to the touch or anything, you could just see that the fibers were starting to show.

reyn3545

Reaction score
The glass fibers started to show. Not rough to the touch or anything, you could just see that the fibers were starting to show.

Wow, that's not good.. I'll have to keep an eye out for that. You'd think that for the price, they would put enough paint on it, and enough clear over it to protect it.

ptrnfan

Reaction score
Wow, that's not good.. I'll have to keep an eye out for that. You'd think that for the price, they would put enough paint on it, and enough clear over it to protect it.

I could be wrong but I don't think it is painted. I believe it is a fiber reinforced plastic. It is plenty strong but didn't stay as black as I wanted it to. For my 2019 Ram I got the UnderCover UltraFlex. They both good covers but have their pro's and con's.

F1
Pros: 1. It offered good protection against water getting into the bed. Still leaked but was pretty good. 2. The top of the cover is a fiber reinforced plastic so it resists denting.
Cons: 1. It didn't stay black. As stated earlier the fibers started to show. This results in lighter color spots. I am picky so it bothers me. 2. the cover rests against the cab when opened all the way. There are foam pads to protect the cab but as the frame flexes the cover moves side to side against the cab. 3. There is a bracket on each rail the prop rods attach to. These are riveted on and if, as in my case, you do not place something between the rivets and the plastic bed cap you will see a mark in the bed cap when the rail is removed.

UltraFlex (There may be more items to add to the list below but the cover is too new for me to have found everything.)
Pro's: 1. The cover finish is a more matte black finish. 2. The cover uses the prop rods to hold it up in the full open position so it doesn't rest against the cab. 3. It came with a rail mounted bag and battery powered under the bed rail mounted lights. I haven't used these yet but it's nice to have them if I want to use them.
Con's 1. It leaks more water into the bed. 2. The top part of the cover is aluminum so it can dent. It is supposed to be the thickest on the market and therefore resisting dents better than others. I'll take their word on this, I don't want to test it. :)

I hope this information is useful.

JDBob35a

Reaction score
GATOR SFX soft tri-fold ~ paid $219
fast/free shipping, nice quality, simple install, perfect fit/tight seal (y)

19Jake, how are you getting along with the Gator tri-fold? I just got a Gator Tri-Fold Pro today, Got it installed but it didn't fit well at all. Am I missing the trick to get it to seal down good? How weatherproof is yours? Awesome looking truck by the way!!!

JDBob35a

Reaction score
Thanks. Went back and tightened ip the latches some. Then realized it has a piece of the weatherstrip missing. Wasn’t ever going to fit right. Im sure they will send what i need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DanSkan

Reaction score
Got the Mopar Hard Trifold - same as the Bakflip MX4 and lets you close the tailgate without popping the top.

Mopar part in stock at some local dealers - no wait for shipping or shipping damage plus Mopar warranty. List $900 and with 15% coupon $765.

Installs in 45 minutes or less. Fits perfect. Looks perfect. Works perfect. Very secure. Folds fully forward for almost full bed access or easily removable (2 large plastic hand nuts) for full bed access.

note: Front weather stripping doesn't stick well to top of box spray-on bed liner, thought about sticking to bottom of cover and when I take off cover completely I won't have weather stripping stuck on truck.

Only a little leaking in rear corners at tailgate edges.

SupremeWill

Reaction score
I have the Mopar version. It's a Mopar branded MX4 with a glossy surface. I was one that reamed out the plastic spacer on the lid to fit the side rails. It would have taken more effort to return it just took a couple of minutes to do. All I did was go up one size drill bit from the original hole.

I am going to add the Bedrug mat/tailgate once it is available.

Would you recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread