5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Folding Tonneau Cover: OEM vs BakFlip vs Gator

justintx

Reaction score
Quick question for those of you that have installed the MX4. Where did you run the drain hoses? I'm going to install mine this weekend, and was wondering if the ports high in the bed by the stake holders is too high to allow the water to drain properly. Looking through this thread it appears some people have the drains running to the bottom of the rear bed wall (nearest the cab), but I don't see any way to run the drain there without drilling through the bed.
I put mine through the hole at the top of the bed wall and haven't had any problems so far. I think I remember having to feed the hose through another hole in a support or bracket on the inside of the bed wall.

IA_Dawg

Reaction score
Quick question for those of you that have installed the MX4. Where did you run the drain hoses? I'm going to install mine this weekend, and was wondering if the ports high in the bed by the stake holders is too high to allow the water to drain properly. Looking through this thread it appears some people have the drains running to the bottom of the rear bed wall (nearest the cab), but I don't see any way to run the drain there without drilling through the bed.

I used the top holes for the drain hoses. The passenger side was really easy. The driver's side will be a little more complicated, because there is more stuff to navigate.

Last edited:

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score

That's where I routed mine. I didn't cut the flex hose, just fed it down the access. One just slid down, the other took some fiddling.

IMG_20180901_094621743.jpg

GreyGoat

Reaction score
Perfect, thanks guys! I assume you are finding the cover to be mostly water proof in this configuration?

sass

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Great thread. I recently picked up my ram and with previous experience with the BAK tonneau covers. I just ordered an MX4 from Morrie at tonneaufactoryoutlet.com. Such a killer deal, nobody else would even touch his prices. I can't wait till it gets shipped and I can get home from work to throw it on.

-sass

Aries Ram

AriesRam
Reaction score
I have been researching and I ordered a Peragon color matched. It's the best I could find. Check it out at Peragon.com

Aries Ram

AriesRam
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I like the looks of the Lomax, but I think I like the utility of the BAKFlip along with being able to add the BAKbox.

THANKS for the info 202snowman and Lakewake. I'll keep ol' Morrie in mind when the time comes.
Check out Peragon.com before you buy any tonneau covers

TimG

Reaction score
Tell me what you all think about it once you have looked at it online.

I like the innovation of it! But, where does resting/surface moisture go when you open it? Does it just spill into the bed?

DakotaRam

Reaction score
Anyone know who manufactures the OEM soft tri-fold tonneau cover?

part# 68295434AB

DozDar

Reaction score
Hello everyone, Newbie here. Great forum. Helped me decide which cover to get. Spoke with Morrie at tonneaufactoryoutlet.com about the BakFlip MX4. Just like other guys have said on this forum about him. He was extremely informative & gave me a great price. Will definitely use at tonneau factory outlet again.

tcw3628

Reaction score
Hello everyone, Newbie here. Great forum. Helped me decide which cover to get. Spoke with Morrie at tonneaufactoryoutlet.com about the BakFlip MX4. Just like other guys have said on this forum about him. He was extremely informative & gave me a great price. Will definitely use at tonneau factory outlet again.
Would you mind sharing your bed size and price he gave you?

mhb1638

Reaction score
I've mentioned this before in other threads and other sites but STAY AWAY from any Bak tonno cover! I've had two G2's - seals between the panels pulled away and leaked all within the first year. My current '19 has a MX4 and it leaked like crazy. So much in fact, tonnoworld just refunded me the money and said "keep it." I still have it, free so why not, but it still leaks like hell. Third product from the same company, all garbage. Now, my previous 17 rebel had a roll top from gator and it was perfect and DRY. Just my two cents gents....

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've mentioned this before in other threads and other sites but STAY AWAY from any Bak tonno cover! I've had two G2's - seals between the panels pulled away and leaked all within the first year. My current '19 has a MX4 and it leaked like crazy. So much in fact, tonnoworld just refunded me the money and said "keep it." I still have it, free so why not, but it still leaks like hell. Third product from the same company, all garbage. Now, my previous 17 rebel had a roll top from gator and it was perfect and DRY. Just my two cents gents....

On my 3rd Bakflip (2 G2 and MX4/ram) tonneau. All have been excellent. They sit out in Florida weather 24/7. I never had leaks. I travel a lot and carry luggage in the bed with no worries of it getting wet. There are plenty of owner that have zero problems here and on F150 forums.

Possibly installation issues?

67 RT

Reaction score
I have a Bak Fibermax and really like it. Better seal on the tailgate than the 2 way seals and I still don’t need to open the last panel to close the tailgate. Plus my kids like running around up there on picnics, tailgating and other events. They’ve yet to damage it and it doesn’t leak that I have noticed.

Users who are viewing this thread