5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Bed Light Kit Install Question

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Silly question, but have you checkEd to ensure that battery is still charged ?

Lonwolf93

Reaction score
Guys, everything is fine now. I took a break, calmed down, and then went back and rechecked everything I did. Turns out I did not have one of the pin blocks (modules?) latched into the white panel properly so it was not actually connected after I had done the wiring. It just looked like it was to me. Now everything works, I did the wiring just the way Delmonico show in his video. The lights work just the way they should, and even the little button on the left bed light turns the lights on and off. This is a nice install, thanks to this thread. The whole thing would have gone perfectly right away if I had checked my work the first time.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Guys, everything is fine now. I took a break, calmed down, and then went back and rechecked everything I did. Turns out I did not have one of the pin blocks (modules?) latched into the white panel properly so it was not actually connected after I had done the wiring. It just looked like it was to me. Now everything works, I did the wiring just the way Delmonico show in his video. The lights work just the way they should, and even the little button on the left bed light turns the lights on and off. This is a nice install, thanks to this thread. The whole thing would have gone perfectly right away if I had checked my work the first time.
Happy for you, I'm a DIY and some times we pay the price for the learning curve. Next one will be a breeze. Thanks for coming back with the resolve.

A little Teddy Roosevelt for your accomplishment:
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

Lize

Reaction score
Gotcha, I'm still trying to figure out how to disable the cargo light that comes on all the fricking time. Me? If I was going to put the bed lighting in, I'd wire it directly with a switch in the bed to turn it on when needed.
An old post but I wondered if you had found a way to separate the cargo lights from the interior ones? I'd like the cargo to come on only when the tailgate is open and/or if I press the BUG bedight switch, not with the passenger doors.

When getting in and out at the road side its confusing and possibly dangerous to other traffic when high white lights come on, my Raptor was the same and couldn't alter that either, its something UK vehicles don't do so approaching drivers just aren't used to it.

brawler1588

Reaction score
Not sure if this belongs here because I didn't go with the oem kit but I would like to have some of the features that the oem provides. I hooked mine up to power and a toggle switch but I would like it to turn on when I open the tailgate and still be able to turn it on with my switch. I also want to see if there is a way to tap into a wire without going through the firewall. I have seen some say tan and violet or tan and white. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
15b1c45f37787f4efc2dc0c3fedaa7e4.jpg
7b8d0136fea1ff727758bd2a36da2aea.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

PedalMonk

Reaction score
Has anybody tried using AlfaOBD software to enable the bedlights in the RAM computer/uconnect? It seems it would work as I have seen it done on older model Ram trucks. I remember seeing a thread on these forums with someone trying to for something else on 2019.

Lungs414

Reaction score
I have a '20 truck. Ran the lights and wire no problem. Having trouble releasing the pin connector brackets. Is it just force by pushing it up or is there a release then push the lock up?

borden72

Reaction score
I have a '20 truck. Ran the lights and wire no problem. Having trouble releasing the pin connector brackets. Is it just force by pushing it up or is there a release then push the lock up?
Did you get the connector out of the locking mechanism that keeps the connector locked into the module? You have to release it from that first. Once the actual connector is out of that you should be able to just take a tiny screwdriver or paper clip to release the little tab on the pin connector. Be careful as they are kind of delicate.

Lungs414

Reaction score
I figured it out. The locking mechanism has a piece you have to push in first before you unlock the connector from the module.

Thanks for the help.

PS My purchasing dealer told me he wanted to charge 3 hours to program the lights.
I countered by telling him I was paying off the truck and he would lose the money he made on the financing. I was told by another Dealer $70. Im ok with that.

Screw them

Last edited:

sjsleuth

Reaction score
Not sure if this belongs here because I didn't go with the oem kit but I would like to have some of the features that the oem provides. I hooked mine up to power and a toggle switch but I would like it to turn on when I open the tailgate and still be able to turn it on with my switch. I also want to see if there is a way to tap into a wire without going through the firewall. I have seen some say tan and violet or tan and white. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
15b1c45f37787f4efc2dc0c3fedaa7e4.jpg
7b8d0136fea1ff727758bd2a36da2aea.jpg

brawler1588

Reaction score
Thank you I am probably going to keep mine hooked to a switch so I can use the lights when the tailgate is up. I was looking at the undercover and it has a built in light if anything I will try and tie that into the tailgate light.

Damion

Reaction score
An old post but I wondered if you had found a way to separate the cargo lights from the interior ones? I'd like the cargo to come on only when the tailgate is open and/or if I press the BUG bedight switch, not with the passenger doors.

When getting in and out at the road side its confusing and possibly dangerous to other traffic when high white lights come on, my Raptor was the same and couldn't alter that either, its something UK vehicles don't do so approaching drivers just aren't used to it.

when I open the tailgate on my sport only the bed lights, and the rear cab lights come on, no interior lights come on unless a door is open

Lungs414

Reaction score
I have a 2020, And did the install following the corrected directions, however...
- no flashers
- auto start/stop failure
-parking sensor failure
The lights work except that the switch does not work.
I returned everything to original and no errors. I had BCM flashed from dealer.

Any ideas , I wonder if on the 2020 the directions are correct?

Thanks
Rich

Rebelyen76

Reaction score
I have a 2020, And did the install following the corrected directions, however...
- no flashers
- auto start/stop failure
-parking sensor failure
The lights work except that the switch does not work.
I returned everything to original and no errors. I had BCM flashed from dealer.

Any ideas , I wonder if on the 2020 the directions are correct?

Thanks
Rich
I have a 2020 Rebel and the dealer installed the bed led kit and now the backup camera doesn’t work. I was told by another professional installer that anytime you disconnect the negative battery terminal it takes a drive cycle for all the options (including backup camera) to come back online. The dealer requested a call back from Ram Technical and no one has called back yet. End result; no urgency and lack of knowledge on a basic part. They won’t give me back my truck until they get the a’ok from corporate. The lights do turn on when you press the button. The hazards don’t flash when you hold the button on the led; outcome from following incorrect directions from Mopar. They point to the wrong pin on the BCM.

Lungs414

Reaction score
I re ran the wiring with the correct pins and now it works fine. I don't know why it didn't work the first time. If you look closely at the pin adaptor you can see where it is supposed to be, don't go by the picture in the instructions.
Just weird to me, but happy it works fine now.

Last edited:

JRI2000

Reaction score
I have a keen eye on those bed lights. Needing the dealer to flash a code is a deal killer. Around these parts, it's like going to the dentist.
On my old '15, I put LED string lights under the rails, and tied them into the cargo lights, so they time-out and don't need to remember to shut off.

Lungs414

Reaction score
I have a keen eye on those bed lights. Needing the dealer to flash a code is a deal killer. Around these parts, it's like going to the dentist.
On my old '15, I put LED string lights under the rails, and tied them into the cargo lights, so they time-out and don't need to remember to shut off.
There is a video on youtube of someone who installed without dealer flash. But it required a splice close to the fusebox. I choose not to do that. A dealer near me only charged $70 for the flash so I did it that way.
Checkout post #110

Intruder62

Reaction score
I have the bed light kit. I am going to use the harness it came with but instead of running the harness up front and having to flash the computer I am going to tap into a hot wire and just use the switch on the light assembly. Anyone see a reason that this wont work?
If you have a tow package plug, it has a hot and ground you can tap into. I’ve already tested it on2020 Rebel. Just waiting on aftermarket switch and LEDS to arrive. 35$ and an hour or so.

Jeromy85

Reaction score
I know this thread is a little old but can anyone tell me the pin location on the grey BCM connector we attach to for this /bed light hack....somehow I accidentally pulled it out and there are multiple locations for the pin to fit into....and of course I snapped the small plastic cover piece so it cant be 100% locked into the BCM so I just want to make sure before I remove this plug again to Toubleshoot I have the correct pin location.

I am assuming this is the issue.. after I followed all the directions from Delmonico2019 youtube channel...the lights just turn on for a split second then turn off( all 3 lights.....2 led bed lights and the 3rd brake light). Everything else works...hazards etc.

Lungs414

Reaction score
Not sure about the wiring but I was able to get a new connector. I broke the he blue one. I bought it here...

Again that was the link for the blue one. If they are out of stock keep checking back. I found it with the help of another member and also doing a search of the part number on the side of the part.
Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online