5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Bed Light Kit Install Question

Omlifecrew

Reaction score
What are the AlphaOBD instructions for activating these lights instead of having the dealer flash them?

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Came across these lights on the Truck Alterations web site:

The install pdf is incorrect at the current moment. Talked with "Joe" at Lund and the attachment is the correct pdf. These lights receive their power source via the OBD. Interesting!

Attachments

• Ram LUNDGL01_NightFX_RevA_Complete.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 112

Rebound78

Reaction score
Here's one of the better installation videos I've found for this.

rdlybeck

Reaction score
Anyone? I can't seem to find the post anywhere where someone activated their lights with Alpha OBD.
Did you figure this out? I just completed this project tonight and was able to turn them on using AlfaObd

merdas

Reaction score
Did you figure this out? I just completed this project tonight and was able to turn them on using AlfaObd
Hi, can you answer this question,
when i am in alfa obd, then i choose my car(ram), then ram 1500 ds/dx/dt, then body computer and then here which body computer to choose?
i have 2020 ram rebel
thank you for any help

Caroofikus

Reaction score
Hi All,

I hate to turn this into a zombie thread, but this may be interesting to some of you. I have a 2018 and was able to install the light kit for that year using the information in Delmonico2019 bighorn's video. Originally, I installed per the instructions and never had the dealer do a flash. Before I went hacking wires under the dash, I decided to do some research to learn why it worked when he did it that way. Here's what I found:

For the 2018 kit, the instructions tell you to connect the green wire to pin F26. It shows that location should be empty and you can just insert it. My harness had a wire in that position already so I spliced it in. The kit tells you to connect the tan wire to pin A5. It identifies that there may already be a wire there and a splice may be necessary. Following these directions, it did not work out of the box.

I found the diagrams for the harnesses online. What I learned was that pin F26 is supposed to hold the wire for the cargo bed lamp switch (mine wasn't installed at the factory, so no idea why there was already a wire there). Pin A5 is supposed to feed the left and right cargo bed lamps. In the video, it shows that the wire originally going to F26 should go to G16. Pin G16 is the cargo lamp switch signal; I connected to it. The video also shows the wire from A5 going to E30. On my harness, there was not much slack on that side, so I ended up connecting it to F6. Pins E30 and F6 are both identified as Cargo Lamp Driver are and connected to one another via SL14A.

My assumption here is that flashing the control module just ends up making a connection from F26 to G16. Installing the way the video shows seems to just add another switch to a circuit that is already active elsewhere. For my pin references, I am using the letter of the connector instead of the connector number.

Edit note: I couldn't get the pictures to attach and be readable. I got them from Mopar1973Man.com. If you're interested in looking at them, you'll want the ones for the BCM Layout and Interior Lighting System.

Last edited:

Sirvs

Reaction score
Maybe a terrible place to ask, but does anyone know where I can get the covers that go where the bed light would insert? Or for anyone that installed the lights and no longer need the covers wiling to share?

I've got a slightly different idea in the works, but the dealer sprayed the bedliner over the old covers so I literally have to cut them out...

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Maybe a terrible place to ask, but does anyone know where I can get the covers that go where the bed light would insert? Or for anyone that installed the lights and no longer need the covers wiling to share?

I've got a slightly different idea in the works, but the dealer sprayed the bedliner over the old covers so I literally have to cut them out...
see post #9

Mr. Chow

Just Happy to Be Here!!
Reaction score
Alright guys so I have cracked the nut on why the OEM (After Purchase) Bed/Cargo Lighting kit comes with a whole new harness. Complexity and for disconnection points
So majority of the trucks have the main Chassis wiring with the cargo bed lighting pre-wired up to connections points XY670A and XY675A, and you can verify by looking at your BCM via connectors C1(A) @ pin 5 BG/WH and C7 (G) Pin 16 BG/VT. The chassis wiring also includes a splice inside the cab (SL19), that is bypassed when you remove the factory pins. The XY801 and XY802 are pigtails that connect to the light and to the extension off of XY670A and XY675A that are only provided via factory install.

At Connection XY670A and XY675A is where the customization for FCA comes in. The Jumper Chassis for XY670A and XY675A have multiple different configurations for BUG, RamBox, Park Sensors, etc. For the Cargo Bed Lighting it has two connections needed at XY670A, plus a ground, to finish the L19 and L26 Circuit Pin 6 (BG/WH L19), 11 (BG/VT L26). Also has one connection at XY675A, plus a ground, Pin 10 (BG/WH L19).

So FCA made it easy and removed the multiple additional connections on the Cargo Bed Light circuit and created a new circuit.

See attached for the diagrams

Attachments

• 670 Location.PNG
    670 Location.PNG
    701.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 675 and 802A.PNG
    675 and 802A.PNG
    98.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 675 Location.PNG
    675 Location.PNG
    723.7 KB · Views: 89
  • L19.PNG
    L19.PNG
    22.4 KB · Views: 92
  • L26.PNG
    L26.PNG
    23.6 KB · Views: 96
  • Overview.PNG
    Overview.PNG
    108.6 KB · Views: 102

Mr. Chow

Just Happy to Be Here!!
Reaction score
Alright now a question for the parts guru out there. After researching cost it looks like it is about $40 each to purchase new Jumper Chassis Connectors

I want to verify that these are the correct harnesses for a 5.7 bed, Rambox (XB9), and now Cargo Lights(LPL)
Right,[LPL], [XB9] 68359103AD
Left,[LPL], [XB9] 68359432AD
*With the AC version being superseded*

Next question - Anyone that wants to build me a harness from the Cargo lights to the Jumper Harness connection (XY801 and XY802), as it seems I can not order them.

I can provide the inline diagrams if needed.

Attachments

• 801.PNG
    801.PNG
    156.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 802.PNG
    802.PNG
    301.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

The Critic

Reaction score
Alright now a question for the parts guru out there. After researching cost it looks like it is about $40 each to purchase new Jumper Chassis Connectors

I want to verify that these are the correct harnesses for a 5.7 bed, Rambox (XB9), and now Cargo Lights(LPL)
Right,[LPL], [XB9] 68359103AD
Left,[LPL], [XB9] 68359432AD
*With the AC version being superseded*

Next question - Anyone that wants to build me a harness from the Cargo lights to the Jumper Harness connection (XY801 and XY802), as it seems I can not order them.

I can provide the inline diagrams if needed.
Thanks for doing this work.

Based on my limited research, I think we need these two harnesses:

68440590AA
68438673AA

It appears that FCA makes harnesses for no LPL or XB9, LPL only, XB9 only, and LPL + XB9.

If I understood your research correctly, with the correct jumper harnesses, the bed lights should be plug and play (without having to run a dedicated circuit) and we would just need to do a vehicle configuration restore using WiTech (after the sales code gets added). The bed light assemblies I see (when ordering individually, not the kit) already include a harness:

Last edited:

Mr. Chow

Just Happy to Be Here!!
Reaction score
Thanks for doing this work.

Based on my limited research, I think we need these two harnesses:

68440590AA
68438673AA

It appears that FCA makes harnesses for no LPL or XB9, LPL only, XB9 only, and LPL + XB9.

If I understood your research correctly, with the correct jumper harnesses, the bed lights should be plug and play (without having to run a dedicated circuit) and we would just need to do a vehicle configuration restore using WiTech (after the sales code gets added). The bed light assemblies I see (when ordering individually, not the kit) already include a harness:

The Critic, that is true.

If you order the individual bed lights they do include the harness.

I ordered the wiring harnesses and installed. The new harnesses come with all the tabs, so I just cut them to make it quick.

Had to drop the spare to help with the one that runs across.

Overall was super easy!!

I have a reprogramming, so no need to go to dealer.

The Critic

Reaction score
The Critic, that is true.

If you order the individual bed lights they do include the harness.

I ordered the wiring harnesses and installed. The new harnesses come with all the tabs, so I just cut them to make it quick.

Had to drop the spare to help with the one that runs across.

Overall was super easy!!

I have a reprogramming, so no need to go to dealer.
Glad to hear. I have two additional questions:

1) Did you have to run any new grounds?
2) Can you confirm the part number of the harnesses that you used?

Thank you

Mr. Chow

Just Happy to Be Here!!
Reaction score
Glad to hear. I have two additional questions:

1) Did you have to run any new grounds?
2) Can you confirm the part number of the harnesses that you used?

Thank you
No new grounds. Use the same the original harness uses, the two "pigtail" harnesses come prepped with the grounding connector.
So I went from XB9 to XB9+LPL
Parts for my configuration (ram box + bed lights)
68312566AB​
Lift-Gate Lamp, Right​
68312567AB​
Lift-Gate Lamp, Left​
68359432AD​
Jumper Wiring, Left​
68359103AD​
Jumper Wiring, Right​

Sorry for the delayed response.

The Critic

Reaction score
No new grounds. Use the same the original harness uses, the two "pigtail" harnesses come prepped with the grounding connector.
So I went from XB9 to XB9+LPL
Parts for my configuration (ram box + bed lights)
68312566AB​
Lift-Gate Lamp, Right​
68312567AB​
Lift-Gate Lamp, Left​
68359432AD​
Jumper Wiring, Left​
68359103AD​
Jumper Wiring, Right​

Sorry for the delayed response.
Thanks! It looks like the jumper harnesses for the 2019 models use a different part number than the 2020's. Not sure why.

I decided to locate a 2020 truck on autotrader that was equipped with the Bed Utility Group (which includes bed lights). I found one with the closest configuration to mine:

Then I looked up the jumper harnesses and tailgate lamps by that VIN - and the part #'s matched my research.

So I am going to move forward with ordering all 4 components and will report back once installed. Now I just need to find someone to add the sales code for me.

Users who are viewing this thread