5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Oil Change Questions - Warranty voiding...

ramhead

Reaction score
I do wonder who thought designing the front sway bar to run right under the oil drain plug was a good idea. And the oil filter was more of a pain in the *** to remove than my 2012 was.

The "conspiracy" answer to that is they purposely have chosen to make it harder for the DIY'er to do his own oil changes in the hopes that it will result in many choosing to say "screw it" and bring the truck in for service. Then, they can not only fleece you on the price of the oil change but try to upsell you on other side services. Obviously, most of us on a forum like this are more hip to the service needs & requirements of our trucks and doing much of it on our own but the majority of people are either clueless or uninformed and get taken advantage of and/or are willing to just let the dealer/service center deal with it and go by what they tell them they need.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you never make a mistake. Several years ago I was changing oil on a new to me car and ended up removing the trans drain plug instead of the oil pan plug. Ahh heck, it need a trans fluid change anyway.
I would often get oil draining onto crossmembers or other not wanted places when I did my own, or would mess up the driveway... I did make mistakes.
Pre-internet days information was not so readily available which required more time to be informed. There was the library, magazines, access (maybe/hopefully) to manuals and knowledgeable people with videos pretty much non existent. The lack of access caused you to be ignorant of all the information required to accomplish the task.
Today it is a different story. The information can be garnered with your finger tips at your own leisure. The 5th generation Ram, Hemi oil change is a prime example. Plenty of information on the forum, forewarned is forearmed for the task at hand.

Still remember my first drum brake pad change, car was on the jacks for 2 days. Learn by doing. That's the price I paid for an education on drum brakes. Today you can be well educated before touching a tool.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While that may not be their direct intention, they have a list of priorities to follow in terms of how they design vehicles.
Pretty high on that list is cost, reliability, and packaging. Lower on the list is serviceability. Really, a sway bar in the way of oil drain is pretty insignificant considering that's a 10k mile service interval.
Yes, I agree the oil filter placement could definitely be better. I partially understand why they don't go to a cartridge filter on the 5.7, but partially don't.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

SColang22

Reaction score
The dealer or an insurance company can deny a claim if damage occurs, been through it once myself with an aftermarket oil filter.

More importantly the OEM filter has a valve that maintains a certain amount of oil in the lines to prevent dry starts. Quality aftermarket filters may or may not have this valve
As long as it’s an approved filter then you are fine. Same with the oil. Doesn’t have to be Mopar brand

Last edited:

Myk5486

Reaction score
As long as it’s an approved filter then you are fine. Same with the oil. Doesn’t have to be Mopar brand
Might be a dumb question, but how do know/ find out which oil filters are approved?

Myk5486

Reaction score
Approved was a bad word. As long as it is a certified reputable company producing it you’ll be fine
Thank you, I am mainly asking because the mopar filter has a gasket thing so not sure how important that is.

blackamarss

Reaction score
I just did my own oil change today on my 2019 Ram 1500 5.7. It was absolutely nasty once you unscrew the factory oil filter... such a dumb design. It's probably worth it to have it changed at the dealership, at least you can save all the nasty troubles..

Last edited:

popcenator

Reaction score
I just did my own oil change today on my 2019 Ram 1500 5.7. It was absolutely nasty once you unscrew the factory oil filter... such a dump design. It's probably worth it to have it changed at the leader at least you can save all the nasty troubles..
I accidentally dropped my filter trying to maneuver it out. That was pleasant...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thank you, I am mainly asking because the mopar filter has a gasket thing so not sure how important that is.
No such thing as an "approved" filter but I suggest that any WIX XP, Mobil1, K&N, ROYAL PURPLE will be a great option and perform as good or better than the MOPAR. All of the aforementioned have fully synthetic media down to around 20 microns except for the Mobil1 which has a hybrid material. I just bought the WIX XP, a TOP-RATED high quality filter off Rockauto for about $6.50.

As an FYI...ALL filters have a gasket thing. I think you are talking about the anti-drain back valve. The high quality filters use silicone material and the cheaper filters uses rubber.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just did my own oil change today on my 2019 Ram 1500 5.7. It was absolutely nasty once you unscrew the factory oil filter... such a dump design. It's probably worth it to have it changed at the leader at least you can save all the nasty troubles..
Has anyone thought of using a plastic milk jug with the bottom cut off to capture the mess coming out of the filter? May save you a huge headache from making a mess when it's unscrewed:)

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone thought of using a plastic milk jug with the bottom cut off to capture the mess coming out of the filter? May save you a huge headache from making a mess when it's unscrewed:)
Good call, I may try this next time. I failed at the bag trick. Still had come leakage.

popcenator

Reaction score
Honestly, and I could be wrong, just going off memory now, I don't know that there's enough room to get that under there and still be able to get the filter out.

popcenator

Reaction score
LOL,i dropped it too... It was stuck in between and oil everywhere ....
Same, my wife was not happy with the mess I made. I almost couldn't even find it after I dropped it lol.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven't been changing my oil all that long... (almost 30 years...) and my 2019 truck is on oil change #6 currently. I have learned over the years to never let your local Meineke, Grease Monkey, Jiffy lube, brakes plus, walmart, or any other minimum wage daily rotating employees shop to do work on your car.... After dealing with their mistakes a couple of times, I only trust myself and allow the dealer to do it if it is cost and time effective (if their giving me the first 4 free oil changes). I change my own oil for between $24-36. Don't have to worry about the dealer scheduling, loaner car, or dropping my other car at the dealer the night before to have a vehicle.

I recommend the following.

1. Filter - Mobil 1, Mopar, Wix, Napa Gold, Bosch, or Purolator.
2. Oil - Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or Mobil 1 full synthetic. If you have a little extra change laying around feel free to go with Royal Purple, or Amsoil.
3. Gallon zip lock bag over the filter once you break it loose and pull it out inside the bag.
4. Recommend to get a quick drain valve for the oil. Fumoto, or what I prefer the Valvomax or the Femco. Super quick and easy and no tools needed and with the supplied spout you can drain into just about any size oil container.

Happy motoring, driving, towing, or off roading!

Reactions: Jtr

blackamarss

Reaction score
I haven't been changing my oil all that long... (almost 30 years...) and my 2019 truck is on oil change #6 currently. I have learned over the years to never let your local Meineke, Grease Monkey, Jiffy lube, brakes plus, walmart, or any other minimum wage daily rotating employees shop to do work on your car.... After dealing with their mistakes a couple of times, I only trust myself and allow the dealer to do it if it is cost and time effective (if their giving me the first 4 free oil changes). I change my own oil for between $24-36. Don't have to worry about the dealer scheduling, loaner car, or dropping my other car at the dealer the night before to have a vehicle.

I recommend the following.

1. Filter - Mobil 1, Mopar, Wix, Napa Gold, Bosch, or Purolator.
2. Oil - Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or Mobil 1 full synthetic. If you have a little extra change laying around feel free to go with Royal Purple, or Amsoil.
3. Gallon zip lock bag over the filter once you break it loose and pull it out inside the bag.
4. Recommend to get a quick drain valve for the oil. Fumoto, or what I prefer the Valvomax or the Femco. Super quick and easy and no tools needed and with the supplied spout you can drain into just about any size oil container.

Happy motoring, driving, towing, or off roading!

Thanks for the tip! How often do u change oil? Every 5k?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Honestly, and I could be wrong, just going off memory now, I don't know that there's enough room to get that under there and still be able to get the filter out.

You’re right, at least for those of us with 4WD. I can’t speak for 2WD trucks. But I’m getting better with the gallon Ziplock bag each time.

Users who are viewing this thread