5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

180 degree thermostat

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You can have your own opinion, but when people responded with facts to try and help you better understand, you refuted almost everyone, unless they agreed with what you did
That's because using verified facts in today's world are just ignored unless they fit their narrative. Just get on social media. Remember, we are ignorant as mentioned earlier.

GMetal

Reaction score
The ECU will increase fuel at lower temps. The tables have the coolant temp sensor as a variable. Unless you change the settings in the ECU with a tuner the engine will likely burn more fuel.

silver billet

Reaction score
No, thats exactly how it works. Its possible that you inadvertently removed an air pocket when you changed the tstat.

No, the coolant is always running at a lower temp once the 180 is installed. Lower coolant = lower oil temp.

silver billet

Reaction score
That makes no sense. If you take a 180° tstat and the stock ~202°, both are wide open by 203° and the 180° would offer zero advantage over the stock unit especially at 225°+. The tstat opening isnt larger on the 180°, it just opens sooner, if youre getting up to 225, something else is wrong, altitude, air in the system, collasped hose, blockage but the t-stat isnt the issue

Read my other posts. The coolant is always running lower temps now so therefore the oil is too.

silver billet

Reaction score
The ECU will increase fuel at lower temps. The tables have the coolant temp sensor as a variable. Unless you change the settings in the ECU with a tuner the engine will likely burn more fuel.

Yes this is the "downside", a tiny insignificant drop in MPG. But you're running a 3.92 so therefore you're not worried about that right? ;)

silver billet

Reaction score
For the doubters, my coolant now runs at 86C and my oil now runs about 91C to 95C unloaded. In the past my oil would hit 105 to 107, which is where it now sits while towing in 6th gear for an hour or two.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Where does the extra fuel go? Out the tailpipe or into to the motor oil?

BowDown

Reaction score
For the doubters, my coolant now runs at 86C and my oil now runs about 91C to 95C unloaded. In the past my oil would hit 105 to 107, which is where it now sits while towing.

Theres no doubters here, it simply doesnt work that way but that said, you're running 95c unloaded oil temps. Its 102° in Dallas and my oil temps are 203°F-210°F daily. My oil and coolant temps are actually the same winter & summer irrespective of outside ambient and with a stock t-stat.

BowDown

Reaction score
Yes this is the "downside", a tiny insignificant drop in MPG. But you're running a 3.92 so therefore you're not worried about that right? ;)

I saw a 2 mpg drop, while small, on a truck that only got 14mpg, it was far more than insignificant but as was said earlier, do what you want, its your truck

silver billet

Reaction score
Youre still not getting it

Theres no doubters here, it simply doesnt work that way but that said, you're running 95c unloaded oil temps. Its 102° in Dallas and my oil temps are 203°F-210°F daily. My oil and coolant temps are actually the same winter & summer irrespective of outside ambient and with a stock t-stat.

No, in the past my truck would run on the freeway for 3 hours in 8th gear and hover around 106C (228F). Now it hovers around 92C (197F).

The coolant stays about 15 degrees cooler with that tstat swap. It hangs around 86C whereas before it would hang around 100ish (don't remember exact number there anymore).

Lower coolant temps = more ability to keep the oil temps down.

You'all can argue this from your armchair till the cows come home, I used to have the same opinion and argued the same way on another forum before a member got through to me and I tried it. There are multiple reports of how effective this combination of tstat + ags delete is while towing. Just google it, I'm not arguing this any further.

silver billet

Reaction score
I saw a 2 mpg drop, while small, on a truck that only got 14mpg, it was far more than insignificant but as was said earlier, do what you want, its your truck

I have no trouble getting into the high 9's (L/100KM). That's more than enough for me and is pretty much what I had in the past before the swap though I'll never reach my peak (8.4 L/100 KM) again.

The truck/engine comes first, always. Best in class oil, best filters, changed every 5000 to 7000 miles, 91+ octane. The life/health of the truck always comes first, mpg comes second. This tstat is probably one of the best mods we can do for our trucks.

silver billet

Reaction score
Found a pic from 2020 showing the typical temps after a 3 hour road trip on stock tstat.

I don't have a pic (yet) from after the tstat swap, but this is a start. I never see these temps anymore unloaded unless I'm stuck in a drive through at which point obviously the temps creep up because the fan is still coming on way too late but that's a mod for another day.

9.4 l_100 km.png

BowDown

Reaction score
Found a pic from 2020 showing the typical temps after a 3 hour road trip on stock tstat.

I don't have a pic (yet) from after the tstat swap, but this is a start. I never see these temps anymore unloaded unless I'm stuck in a drive through at which point obviously the temps creep up because the fan is still coming on way too late but that's a mod for another day.

View attachment 187980

Like I said, there may have been something wrong with your truck from the start as it ran warmer than mine in cooler temps

1000008764.jpg

33c = 91F
101c coolant = 213.8F
105c oil = 221F

silver billet

Reaction score
Like I said, there may have been something wrong with your truck from the start as it ran warmer than mine in cooler temps

No, my temps in the past were in line with all the other reports asking about coolant/oil temps.

In the end, what you're not accepting, is that the coolant temp hugs the tstat temp. That automatically means oil temps go down with it.

Whether you see different temp than I do is not the issue, you'll see lower temps with a 180 in your same usage just by swapping the tstat: that is the point/argument, not my temps vs yours.

Last edited:

BowDown

Reaction score
No, my temps in the past were in line with all the other reports asking about coolant/oil temps.

In the end, what you're not accepting, is that the coolant temp hugs the tstat temp. That automatically means oil temps go down with it.

Whether you see different temp than I do is not the issue, you'll see lower temps with a 180 in your same usage just by swapping the tstat: that is the point/argument, not my temps vs yours.

Lol, OK

Users who are viewing this thread