5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

16,000 miles and already need a new engine

Jweaver1

Reaction score
I need to vent.

I bought a new 2020 1500 Laramie last February. At 14,000 miles, I started to hear knocking coming from the engine and took it to the dealer who ended up replacing 4 lifters and a camshaft. 2,000 miles later, the knocking returned so back to the dealer I went.

After 3 days, I got a call with news that the technician talked to Chrysler and, due to the low mileage of the truck and continuing valvetrain problems, I qualify for a brand new engine!

Now I will not have my truck again for what will likely be several weeks. The dealer said they cannot give me a loaner vehicle because there are TWO other engine replacements ahead of me and they have the loaners. And now I have to figure out how to get to work and get my 4 year old to school without transportation for what will probably be a month+ from the sound of it

Come to find out late in the game this is all from known issues with this engine. I must say I'm feeling a good bit of buyer's remorse right now.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Reaction score
Sounds very unreasonable. Maybe try another dealer if that one doesn't try to assist with some form of transportation?

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I need to vent.

I bought a new 2020 1500 Laramie last February. At 14,000 miles, I started to hear knocking coming from the engine and took it to the dealer who ended up replacing 4 lifters and a camshaft. 2,000 miles later, the knocking returned so back to the dealer I went.

After 3 days, I got a call with news that the technician talked to Chrysler and, due to the low mileage of the truck and continuing valvetrain problems, I qualify for a brand new engine!

Now I will not have my truck again for what will likely be several weeks. The dealer said they cannot give me a loaner vehicle because there are TWO other engine replacements ahead of me and they have the loaners. And now I have to figure out how to get to work and get my 4 year old to school without transportation for what will probably be a month+ from the sound of it

Come to find out late in the game this is all from known issues with this engine. I must say I'm feeling a good bit of buyer's remorse right now.
Contact RAMcares and get a case manager. They should be able to offer rental vehicle coverage for up to 30 days. The problem is finding a car that fits underneath their allowable cap in the current rental market.

Keep all your documents, dates, times, etc. You may need it for a lemon law claim. How long was it in the shop before? That down time would count towards your required time (on top of the 3 days you've been waiting to hear back from Chrysler on the replacement engine). Depending on your state you may need as little as 30 total days to put forward a legit lemon claim.

The way RAM and their dealers treat customers is pretty poor compared to other brands. Example, our neighbor got a loaner from VW while they wait on their factory order vehicle. No way any FCA brand does that. You'll have to hold their feet to the fire to make things right.

Last edited:

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hello @Jweaver1,

We understand your frustrations and sentiments here. Our team is sorry to hear that this has been your experience thus far and would like offer our additional support alongside your dealer. For us to get started, please send us a private message with your VIN and mileage.

As always, appreciate you mentioning us and bringing this to our attention @GKIII and @Richard320.

Hannah
Ram Cares

Jweaver1

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for you responses - I really appreciate it. I have connected with RamCares and look forward to seeing if they can help.

I will post any updates/developments to this thread.

Big Tup

Reaction score
I need to vent.

what engine do you have?

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I need to vent.

care to tell us what engine you have?

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
is it the "E"
Both versions of the HEMI are mechanically identical outside of the addition of the etorque generator/motor. They are both equally susceptible to the cam/lifter failures that's been plaguing the 3rd gen HEMI for over a decade now. Supposedly they improved the bearings in the lifters a few years ago but clearly there's still an issue.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Both versions of the HEMI are mechanically identical outside of the addition of the etorque generator/motor. They are both equally susceptible to the cam/lifter failures that's been plaguing the 3rd gen HEMI for over a decade now. Supposedly they improved the bearings in the lifters a few years ago but clearly there's still an issue.
and here we all are wanting these trucks as fast as possible.

are we making a big mistake?

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
and here we all are wanting these trucks as fast as possible.

are we making a big mistake?
All vehicles have their issues....ask the F-150 guys about their leaking turbos...or the Chevy guys and their displacement on demand lifters. Hell, my wife's Honda has a transmission that's notoriously temperamental (and that issue is starting to rear it's head now at 65k miles). It's luck of the draw. Personally it's stuff like this that make me buy the extended warranties. The ~$1600 I spent on a 100k warranty for this truck is cheap insurance between all the electronics and an engine notorious for eating cams.

The only vehicles I trust nowadays to run forever are Toyotas, and I've always hated their interiors. Since I spend more time looking at and interacting with stuff the inside of a vehicle, that's usually the major turn off.

Last edited:

Runagun

Reaction score
The dealer that you took the truck too. Are they the same one doing maintenance to the truck? Cause if they are, I don't think id use them anymore.

mmcbeat

Reaction score
Have you talked to anyone At the dealership other than the service department? You might contact the sales manager or even your sales guy. Dealerships these days are very concerned about online reviews. Without threatening you might suggest a very negative review(s).

Jweaver1

Reaction score
The dealer I took the truck to is the one doing the repair and they are located very close to me and have a good reputation. I bought the truck from a different dealer that is a half hour drive out of town which is why I didn't go there.

Hopefully RamCares will be able to help me get a loaner vehicle.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hello @Jweaver1,

If you would like additional support from our team throughout the duration of your dealer appointment please send us a private message with your vehicle's mileage and model year for us to review. We're here to help!

Hannah
Ram Cares

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know its probably early for the 5thgens, but is there an aftermarket rebuild(er) kit that does away or solves this problem? A decade seems a little long to be still hurting your rep.

Users who are viewing this thread