5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12'' vs 8.4'' Screen - Better Investment?

Nettag7

Reaction score
I have heard of at least one person on her having to get a whole new 12in screen installed.
I had to get a whole new 12 inch monitor. Ram said I was the first person that had to get a whole new monitor. The first day I bought it, I didnt even drive it off the lot yet and the NAV wouldn't work nor the wireless charging cradle. I guess the monitor runs the charging cradle too. It took a month for Ram to get a new monitor for me and they told me from the first day that they will make it right with me. They did by writing me a check for up to the amount my truck payment was. The monitor and charging cradle has worked great ever since! The dealer had to send Ram the old monitor so they can study why it wouldn't work. A Ram rep still calls every now and then to make sure I am not having any problems with my new monitor.

Last edited:

Rustydodge

Reaction score
I would vote 8.4" for 1 reason - still have buttons to control heated and ventilated seats. Our durango has the 8.4 but no buttons for the seat controls. Drives me crazy to not have buttons to control the seats. It's one of the only things i think Ram goofed on with the 12" dash design or for that matter the entire interior.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had to get a whole new 12 inch monitor. Ram said I was the first person that had to get a whole new monitor. The first day I bought it, I didnt even drive it off the lot yet and the NAV wouldn't work nor the wireless charging cradle. I guess the monitor runs the charging cradle too. It took a month for Ram to get a new monitor for me and they told me from the first day that they will make it right with me. They did by writing me a check for up to the amount my truck payment was. The monitor and charging cradle has worked great ever since! The dealer had to send Ram the old monitor so they can study why it wouldn't work. A Ram rep still calls every now and then to make sure I am not having any problems with my new monitor.

Mine is on order now for replacement (same Nav issue). Having said that I wouldn't change back the 8.4....Love the 12 inch screen and I can deal with a few software gremlins

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I would vote 8.4" for 1 reason - still have buttons to control heated and ventilated seats. Our durango has the 8.4 but no buttons for the seat controls. Drives me crazy to not have buttons to control the seats. It's one of the only things i think Ram goofed on with the 12" dash design or for that matter the entire interior.

Good point. My seat comes back on in ventilation mode (although for some reason they come back on low instead of high). That's a tradeoff. Still, for me, I'd rather have the 12".

Cheers,

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

That's great to hear. Sound like your dealer is a keeper. And good on RAM for calling you back. Very refreshing.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not for me. The 12” is a game changer in my opinion. I totally love having the huge expansive screen, specially when using navigation and real-time traffic. I can zoom just the right amount, and I can see so much of the road ahead, traffic conditions, etc, that I could never go back to a tiny 8 or 10” screen.

Cheers,
Neurobit
Its also only going to get better. Updates will come that improve the experience. Its already best in class interior in my opinion but the 8.4 versus the 12, no comparison. 12 inch is two 8.4 stacked on top of each other. The amount of information available is just so nice. When car play is on you still have the media information below. Or you can have the media on Botton and nav on top. So much flexibility. Couldn't imagine a car not having it. I sit in the escalade and feel like its a joke. The screen in that is tiny with the big dash it has.

12" is the way to go if its available in the trim you're buying.

Nettag7

Reaction score
That's great to hear. Sound like your dealer is a keeper. And good on RAM for calling you back. Very refreshing.
The dealer was alright, but it was my case worker at Ram that is a keeper. He was the one that made sure my dealer got the monitor and also made sure Ram wrote me a check. I was amazed how polite and willing the case worker was to help and to help make it right. 180 degrees different from when I delt with them for my 2015 Ram 2500.

Nettag7

Reaction score
Mine is on order now for replacement (same Nav issue). Having said that I wouldn't change back the 8.4....Love the 12 inch screen and I can deal with a few software gremlins
I agree, the 12 inch screen is great and I knew going in that it will probably have some software problems ever now and then. But Ram was very fast and accommodating to get them addressed.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Am I the only one who prefers the 8.4'' screen? Sure the 12'' is bigger and more expensive but to me I feel that the 8.4'' is perfect. In addition I feel that If either were to break outside of warranty coverage, my wallet would much rather pay for the 8.4'' option.
[deletia]
May be looking into the Laramie due to this issue.

I have driven both and I preferred the 8.4 inch screen for the following reasons:
1. Cost benefit ratio (did not want navigation feature)
2. Cost of repair
3. Too much light emitting (I know, the screen intensity can be adjusted)
4. Too distracting
5. Even more opportunity for finger prints and smudges
6. Detracts from the appearance of the dash (subjective)

Regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 001991 miles.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lots of distaste for the 12"... I have it and love it. Looks way better than the 8.4" that's been going in cars for the past 8 years. Only thing I hate is the gloss black plastic surround. I treat it like lava - don't touch it, or over time it will get scratched and look like ****. I haven't encountered any major software bugs. And it really shouldn't cost any more to replace.

Dkwatts1522

Reaction score
I have the 12” screen and love it. It can be a little glitchy at times but I figure that will be fixed through updates. It is also an attention getter. First thing eveyone says is “ look at that screen “. I’m guessing Ford will follow in the next Gen since the new Navigator has a similar screen.

D

Deleted member 85

I opted for the 8.4" screen after using both. I like the old school nobs and the size is right. The functions are very similar. $ was not an issue--although I am not paying for options I don't want (which in my case are things such as a sunroof, 22" wheels and Crew Cabs). I will pay for stuff I want, which included Advanced Cruise Control, Two-Tone paint, 360 camera and a trailer brake controller. The "look" of the 12" screen is really nice, but for my purpose, I am happy with the 8.4 with Nav. To get everything I wanted I ended up with a Laramie, which has a hi-line feel without the stuff I didn't want. I would have also been happy with a Laramie Longhorn, which has an even nicer interior, IMO, but didn't have the bench option or 18" wheels.

At the end of the day, you will never regret an option you added, but will likely regret one you passed on (unless you are counting pennies).
Well said.

UltraMadMax

Reaction score
I have the 8.4 in my Durango and love it. I opted for the 12 inch in my Ram and use them both all of the time. After using them both you get what you need from the smaller screen but I love having the larger screen and when you get used to the new setup it is not only easy to use but it is incredible. The navigation works amazing and it is intuitive. I would chose the 12 inch screen if you can afford it.

J-Rad

Reaction score
Another vote for the 8.4.

I prefer the buttons/knobs for climate control. Having that three dimensional component/texture allows for making adjustments without having to take my eyes off what I'm doing.

In addition, the 12" screen doesn't get you a larger camera view, so for me, what's the point?

As for any of it being an "investment", well, I wouldn't go that far. :)

glennf14

Reaction score

I prefer the buttons/knobs for climate control. Having that three dimensional component/texture allows for making adjustments without having to take my eyes off what I'm doing.

In addition, the 12" screen doesn't get you a larger camera view, so for me, what's the point?

Side question: does the 8.4” screen support the 360 camera view?

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Fullscreen Nav is about the only advantage I can see. I rented a Volvo XC90 DesignR in England on a family trip and the enormous full screen Nav was invaluable. But that was in a country I'd never been before, driving on the wrong side of the road no less. At home, I rarely use Nav, but paid for the extras that come with the whole package. That's the way I would have viewed the decision between the 8.4 and 12... Alpine or HK if I didn't want a Rebel. FCA took pity on me and didn't give Rebel owners the torturous choice!

UltraMadMax

Reaction score

I also like the buttons for climate control and that is all I use on the 12". They are nicely placed on the edge of the screen for easy access. I don't use the screen for climate control.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I really don't think there are tons of issues with the 12" screens. Small sample size on forums and many only join a forum because of an issue. My dealer has had no warranty claims according to the service writer I've dealt with over the last couple of years. He had checked with his other writers for me a couple of weeks ago. They also have had no a/c complaints, either. I don't question the fact that there are problems with these things, I just feel they are a small percentage of the total production. I've been active on the F150 forum and you'd swear the truck is the worst vehicle ever made by the amount of problems that get brought up. That obviously isn't the case.
Neither screens are an investment. Any new vehicle you buy is far from an investment. They all drop in value like a lead balloon.

Agree 100%. Not to downplay forums obviously, there is a lot of great info on most, but I likewise have been active on forums discussing topics from atv’s to auto’s to farm equipment. If you judged anything according to the forum, the subject of the forum is the biggest piece of junk ever made. Like with anything else, the majority is silent. You are more likely to hear a complaint than a compliment with most situations. I like the 12”screen. My salesman has mentioned having some Longhorn’s with the 8.4” screen, no pano roof, and no level 1. He figured they would be on the lot for awhile. Most people who buy the high end trim levels want everything they can get in them anyway. More than likely the competition will follow with larger screens. We all know they won’t get any smaller!

You're both exactly right, it's something I've noticed on any forum. People generally don't go out and explain how great or normal their experience is, but people that aren't satisfied or are having issues tend to speak the loudest.

There are folks here that have had no issues with their trucks whatsoever, but thats not generally something they would start a thread about as that should be a normal experience. The people with problems will start threads asking for help or opinions (which is good and the whole point), but all I'm saying is on a quick glance everything looks skewed.

This is true for all forums as mentioned above.

RichRios

Reaction score
it Would be nice to see problem free threads with miles and trucks specs

Users who are viewing this thread