5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12'' vs 8.4'' Screen - Better Investment?

JukeFactory

Reaction score
Am I the only one who prefers the 8.4'' screen? Sure the 12'' is bigger and more expensive but to me I feel that the 8.4'' is perfect. In addition I feel that If either were to break outside of warranty coverage, my wallet would much rather pay for the 8.4'' option.

One other thought is the availability of aftermarket stereo systems. I am pretty picky about my music and the quality. I have read reviews that the HK sound system in the top end models being disappointing especially in the low end bass. I find it hard to believe that Audio companies (ex. Pioneer) will engineer an aftermarket replacement that could take up the entirety of the 12'' display. I'm sure these companies already have options available for the 8.4'' screens (I believe many of these offer options such as COMPLETE wireless Apple/Android car play). The 8.4'' screens I believe have been around for awhile (I could be wrong). I also hope if one does invest in the 12'' screen option that updates and continued technical support will keep the screen functioning properly and avoid being outdated.

This may be only a concern I have as I do not tend to buy/trade in trucks every 3 years. Currently I have had my truck for 8 years and the only reason I am going to buy a 2019 Ram 1500 is because It is a gift to myself for a special occasion. But I do plan on keeping this truck for a long time.

Would love to hear everyones thoughts on my above views.

I still am debating on which screen to get. It looks like both the Longhorn and Limited require you to have the 12'' screen IF I WANT THE AIR SUSPENSION OPTION.
May be looking into the Laramie due to this issue.

Reactions: 356

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I prefer the 8.4in screen too. I see the 12in screen has alot of issues and maybe the 2020 truck will have better luck with the 12in screen.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Am I the only one who prefers the 8.4'' screen? Sure the 12'' is bigger and more expensive but to me I feel that the 8.4'' is perfect.
You are not alone, I agree 100% especially with the number of reported software problems running through the 12” system.

I can’t remember what the build and price website makes you do on a Longhorn to add Air Suspension but if it forces you to add Level 1 (w/ the 12” screen) DON’T BELIEVE IT, but rather ask your dealer or one of our member dealers in your country (us @JRS200x or ca @BobbiBigWheels ?) to check the build in their system. The us brochure simply says air susp is an option on the Longhorn and does not tie it to Level 1.

(Off this topic, but blind spot monitoring on the other hand appears stupidly to be tied to Level 1, forcing you to pay big for this safety feature... which was the main reason I was steered away from upgrading to the Longhorn as I wanted this safety feature but did not want the Level 1 expense or the 12” screen!)

RichRios

Reaction score
As long as the 12 inch problems are software base it will get fixed. I even heard of a project to hack/jailbreak the 12inch and it looks like the capabilities are amazing! You can’t go wrong with both. I also think the 12 inch will be the one to take over the 8.4 in time across FCA products.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As long as the 12 inch problems are software base it will get fixed. I even heard of a project to hack/jailbreak the 12inch and it looks like the capabilities are amazing! You can’t go wrong with both. I also think the 12 inch will be the one to take over the 8.4 in time across FCA products.
I have heard of at least one person on her having to get a whole new 12in screen installed.

John813

Reaction score
IMO usually the more options = better resale.
That being said I was hesistent to buy the newer tech(12" screen/etorque) for the 2019 just cause they are first time items and could have some glitches at first.
Of course you have at least 3yrs of warranty to fix them for free.

I went 8.4" screen as I'm hoping this will be my DD for the next 5-8 years and will put 100k+ miles on it easy. The 8.4" with nav is more than enough for me and I didn't want to buy a more loaded truck for DD purposes. Rather save that money for a 3rd vehicle/toy.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The glitches for me were resolved in the latest OTA update. I don't have the black screen issue, or Sirius low volume. Seems good. I do like the look of the 8.4" because I'm still a button guy and it takes a little longer getting to what you need vs buttons. The 12" screen though is also a head turner and those that know it's an option and see yours then you will have to answer to why you didn't get it! Lol

JukeFactory

Reaction score
You are not alone, I agree 100% especially with the number of reported software problems running through the 12” system.

I can’t remember what the build and price website makes you do on a Longhorn to add Air Suspension but if it forces you to add Level 1 (w/ the 12” screen) DON’T BELIEVE IT, but rather ask your dealer or one of our member dealers in your country (us @JRS200x or ca @BobbiBigWheels ?) to check the build in their system. The us brochure simply says air susp is an option on the Longhorn and does not tie it to Level 1.

(Off this topic, but blind spot monitoring on the other hand appears stupidly to be tied to Level 1, forcing you to pay big for this safety feature... which was the main reason I was steered away from upgrading to the Longhorn as I wanted this safety feature but did not want the Level 1 expense or the 12” screen!)

Yes! online builder for LongHorn (which I want) ties the 12'' screen to the air suspension which I really am wanting. I did not know that blind spot monitoring was tied to 12" screen on the Longhorn. On Laramie model I can get the 8.4'' screen and the blind spot monitoring with the air suspension. May have to go with Laramie but I really love the Longhorn interior!!!! :cry:

JukeFactory

Reaction score
The glitches for me were resolved in the latest OTA update. I don't have the black screen issue, or Sirius low volume. Seems good. I do like the look of the 8.4" because I'm still a button guy and it takes a little longer getting to what you need vs buttons. The 12" screen though is also a head turner and those that know it's an option and see yours then you will have to answer to why you didn't get it! Lol

Yeah true! I just need to spend more physical time at the dealership playing with both screens I guess. I'm in no rush to buy but can't lie I want one ASAP

Kaydee

Reaction score
As much as I liked the 8.4 screen on my last ram I love the 12 screen on the new truck just for the screen splitting alone ... I do miss the quick access to fan knob though .Loved that on the last truck..fan up/down buttons not as easy

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
IMO usually the more options = better resale.
Technically true @John813 , but I would recommend economic caution along that line of thinking. Many options can be expensive up front compared to the relatively tiny increase in used value later on... I’ve had sales people try to use that line to justify $10000 more on a higher trim truck that will return a small fraction of that value at resale. Try a KBB experiment for a five year old truck and select/deselect various options to see the valuation differences. Compare to the original cost of the option. Might not be as valuable as expected.

My personal approach is to never add options because of resale - they need to be worth it to me, right now, for their cost and if they aren’t they don’t get added.

There are possible value exceptions depending on how hard it is to do after market or who’s buying (Hard to upgrade fuel tank size! No 12” screen after market yet. Maybe the Off road package?) but this broadly applies to the more “gadget-ey” upgrades.

As you can see in my sig block I am certainly not against options... if it makes you happy and you can afford it, go for it.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ill say because I wanted something that I knew would work. lol

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think the 12" screen looks really cool but I actaully prefer the 8.4" combined with the knobs for my use.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think the 12" screen looks really cool but I actaully prefer the 8.4" combined with the knobs for my use.

And in my opinion, the button layout and quality is the best in the market. Everything just feels so solid and well made. Love the new toggles for parksense and traction, etc.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I really don't think there are tons of issues with the 12" screens. Small sample size on forums and many only join a forum because of an issue. My dealer has had no warranty claims according to the service writer I've dealt with over the last couple of years. He had checked with his other writers for me a couple of weeks ago. They also have had no a/c complaints, either. I don't question the fact that there are problems with these things, I just feel they are a small percentage of the total production. I've been active on the F150 forum and you'd swear the truck is the worst vehicle ever made by the amount of problems that get brought up. That obviously isn't the case.
Neither screens are an investment. Any new vehicle you buy is far from an investment. They all drop in value like a lead balloon.

Spirito2

Reaction score
the 12" screen is great the bluetooth for music streaming is horrible as is common some times but I just hard connect with carplay it sounds and works great. It just takes a little bit to get use to with it being so big, and I was coming from an 8.4" in my charger.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I really don't think there are tons of issues with the 12" screens. Small sample size on forums and many only join a forum because of an issue. My dealer has had no warranty claims according to the service writer I've dealt with over the last couple of years. He had checked with his other writers for me a couple of weeks ago. They also have had no a/c complaints, either. I don't question the fact that there are problems with these things, I just feel they are a small percentage of the total production. I've been active on the F150 forum and you'd swear the truck is the worst vehicle ever made by the amount of problems that get brought up. That obviously isn't the case.
Neither screens are an investment. Any new vehicle you buy is far from an investment. They all drop in value like a lead balloon.

Agree 100%. Not to downplay forums obviously, there is a lot of great info on most, but I likewise have been active on forums discussing topics from atv’s to auto’s to farm equipment. If you judged anything according to the forum, the subject of the forum is the biggest piece of junk ever made. Like with anything else, the majority is silent. You are more likely to hear a complaint than a compliment with most situations. I like the 12”screen. My salesman has mentioned having some Longhorn’s with the 8.4” screen, no pano roof, and no level 1. He figured they would be on the lot for awhile. Most people who buy the high end trim levels want everything they can get in them anyway. More than likely the competition will follow with larger screens. We all know they won’t get any smaller!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Not for me. The 12” is a game changer in my opinion. I totally love having the huge expansive screen, specially when using navigation and real-time traffic. I can zoom just the right amount, and I can see so much of the road ahead, traffic conditions, etc, that I could never go back to a tiny 8 or 10” screen.

Cheers,
Neurobit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Am I the only one who prefers the 8.4'' screen? Sure the 12'' is bigger and more expensive but to me I feel that the 8.4'' is perfect. In addition I feel that If either were to break outside of warranty coverage, my wallet would much rather pay for the 8.4'' option.

One other thought is the availability of aftermarket stereo systems. I am pretty picky about my music and the quality. I have read reviews that the HK sound system in the top end models being disappointing especially in the low end bass. I find it hard to believe that Audio companies (ex. Pioneer) will engineer an aftermarket replacement that could take up the entirety of the 12'' display. I'm sure these companies already have options available for the 8.4'' screens (I believe many of these offer options such as COMPLETE wireless Apple/Android car play). The 8.4'' screens I believe have been around for awhile (I could be wrong). I also hope if one does invest in the 12'' screen option that updates and continued technical support will keep the screen functioning properly and avoid being outdated.

This may be only a concern I have as I do not tend to buy/trade in trucks every 3 years. Currently I have had my truck for 8 years and the only reason I am going to buy a 2019 Ram 1500 is because It is a gift to myself for a special occasion. But I do plan on keeping this truck for a long time.

Would love to hear everyones thoughts on my above views.

I still am debating on which screen to get. It looks like both the Longhorn and Limited require you to have the 12'' screen IF I WANT THE AIR SUSPENSION OPTION.
May be looking into the Laramie due to this issue.
I opted for the 8.4" screen after using both. I like the old school nobs and the size is right. The functions are very similar. $ was not an issue--although I am not paying for options I don't want (which in my case are things such as a sunroof, 22" wheels and Crew Cabs). I will pay for stuff I want, which included Advanced Cruise Control, Two-Tone paint, 360 camera and a trailer brake controller. The "look" of the 12" screen is really nice, but for my purpose, I am happy with the 8.4 with Nav. To get everything I wanted I ended up with a Laramie, which has a hi-line feel without the stuff I didn't want. I would have also been happy with a Laramie Longhorn, which has an even nicer interior, IMO, but didn't have the bench option or 18" wheels.

At the end of the day, you will never regret an option you added, but will likely regret one you passed on (unless you are counting pennies).

Users who are viewing this thread