5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12" UConnect CarPlay

NetEagle49

Reaction score
CPlay2air is hit or miss at best, and their support has been non-responsive. It connects about 50% of the time correctly. The rest of the time you have to cancel and manually select phone on screen. The other issue is that the heat in the southeast melts the connector. When you try to unplug it, the plastic around the plug comes off.
I wanna love this thing, but not ready for prime time. I did notice that if your phone has good wifi in your garage, the dongle has a harder time connecting correctly. If you don’t have wifi when you start car it seems to improve your chances of connecting.

TravisH

Reaction score
I use carlinkit and it works every time. It’s also fast at booting up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
CPlay2air is hit or miss at best, and their support has been non-responsive. It connects about 50% of the time correctly. The rest of the time you have to cancel and manually select phone on screen. The other issue is that the heat in the southeast melts the connector. When you try to unplug it, the plastic around the plug comes off.
I wanna love this thing, but not ready for prime time. I did notice that if your phone has good wifi in your garage, the dongle has a harder time connecting correctly. If you don’t have wifi when you start car it seems to improve your chances of connecting.
Maybe it’s because I have an older version of the dongle, but I’ve used it for close to 3 years now with few issues.

I have WiFi in the garage, and that doesn’t pose a problem. My only connectivity issues occur when I’m a 1/2 block from the house, as my phone leaves WiFi range. But after a few more seconds, I’m good. And that doesn’t affect my wireless CarPlay at all…it just makes Google Maps show as “offline” for a few seconds.

jsmith032

Reaction score
Ended up picking one up on Amazon for $70. Does anyone have a cool “hack” to install this where no one can see it? Kind of don’t want to have the dongle dangle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
If you are looking for a dongle that far exceeds the carplay2air and Carlinkit 3.0, try the AUTOBOX. I have been super impressed and zero issues with it. Just be aware, every time you do an update, you must repair the Bluetooth. Not a big deal, but some just think it bricked or stopped working after the update and all you have to do is reconnect it and you're good to go:)

aldrichf

Reaction score
Real in RAM test: Here’s a less than a year old video review of the CarPlay to air unit from YouTube. I this must be either the latest version or as of this date it may have been updated again. The guy does the pairing, leaves the unit attached, shuts down the truck, then gets back in and starts it up. Doesn’t take the phone away from the truck’s BT range but CarPlay comes up instantaneously in the video. Looks promising. The portion of the video with the RAM is about halfway through.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread