5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12" UConnect CarPlay

jsmith032

Reaction score
Simple question, and I dont have my new truck until tomorrow. But is the carplay wireless on the 12" Uconnect?

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No. None of the current 1500 Uconnect 4 infotainment systems support wireless CarPlay or Android Auto. There is an aftermarket gizmo I've seen some people buying that allows wireless CarPlay to be added but I don't know what it's called offhand.

Kilroy

Reaction score
I have this one and it works quite well, the time for it to connect and startup is a little slower than using the cable, and I sometimes have issues with it wanting to activate when I have the radio on. I haven't decided if I am going to keep it or not.

jsmith032

Reaction score
I have this one and it works quite well, the time for it to connect and startup is a little slower than using the cable, and I sometimes have issues with it wanting to activate when I have the radio on. I haven't decided if I am going to keep it or not.

Does it have to use the AUX 1/2 USB port or can I use the USB in the armrest?

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does it have to use the AUX 1/2 USB port or can I use the USB in the armrest?
The USB in the armrest is charge only so you'd have to use one of the USBs under the radio (I think 1 of the USBs on the back of the console also has data connectivity so that could be an option too).

Kilroy

Reaction score
The USB in the armrest is charge only so you'd have to use one of the USBs under the radio (I think 1 of the USBs on the back of the console also has data connectivity so that could be an option too).
I can test that, then you may be able to move or extend one of those to the console to make it hidden if you wanted to take some things apart ;-)

KCViper

Reaction score
Most of us on the forum have this one...me included and highly recommend:

www.carplay2air.com
I am reading mixed results on this device. I have wireless CarPlay in my 911 that works well, but have never tried a device like carplay2air. I really like the idea of having my phone wirelessly charge while enjoying wireless CarPlay and think Ram missed the mark on this! Just my opinion....

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I am reading mixed results on this device. I have wireless CarPlay in my 911 that works well, but have never tried a device like carplay2air. I really like the idea of having my phone wirelessly charge while enjoying wireless CarPlay and think Ram missed the mark on this! Just my opinion....
I believe over 80 of us have this through the group buy I did last summer. Most all are extremely happy with it so not sure where you're getting mixed results. Small investment to make IMPO.

KCViper

Reaction score
I believe over 80 of us have this through the group buy I did last summer. Most all are extremely happy with it so not sure where you're getting mixed results. Small investment to make IMPO.
I'm getting mixed reviews when I google "car2play reviews" and read. Glad you are happy with the system and I will strongly consider buying it as well!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm getting mixed reviews when I google "car2play reviews" and read. Glad you are happy with the system and I will strongly consider buying it as well!
I am sure that also has something to do with the type of head end is trying to connect to. Some may be far better than others. For the RAM, it has been a quality, reliable piece.

MadMadHoosier

Reaction score
After also reading the mixed reviews, I decided to try the CPlay2Air, in the hopes it would work. Other than taking multiple tries to get the firmware to update, it is working very well. I've only got 4-5 days with it so far, so I'll definitely let you guys know if it does not continue to satisfy.

jsmith032

Reaction score
Would be interested to know if anyone pulled the dash apart and got this to mount inside the dash with the internal USB.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have had mine installed since May 2020 and still loving this little box. Wireless Car Play is the only way to go!

Kilroy

Reaction score
On order will provide a definitive review of both. They are comparably priced as well. If this other one works better then I will probably keep it.

PigBimpin

Reaction score
Just adding my voice, I too use the Carplay2air and love it. It's been a solid performer for me. I've had wireless CarPlay in other vehicles and Carplay2air is comparable, it works. I plug it into USB 2 under the stereo and if you turn the Carplay2air unit sideways, it pinches in nicely between the sidewall of the console is out of the way of everything.

jebjam

Reaction score
I can test that, then you may be able to move or extend one of those to the console to make it hidden if you wanted to take some things apart ;-)
Were you able to test the device plugged into the back of the console? I believe plugging into USB #3 will play through UConnect and there is a little cubby above the USB, this would be a handy out of the way place to put the transmitter. I love the idea of wireless CarPlay but don't really want anything cluttering up the front of my bins.

Wired CarPlay seems to give the best audio quality (way better than Sirius, as good as HD Radio). Do you lose anything going wireless?

Kilroy

Reaction score
Were you able to test the device plugged into the back of the console? I believe plugging into USB #3 will play through UConnect and there is a little cubby above the USB, this would be a handy out of the way place to put the transmitter. I love the idea of wireless CarPlay but don't really want anything cluttering up the front of my bins.

Wired CarPlay seems to give the best audio quality (way better than Sirius, as good as HD Radio). Do you lose anything going wireless?
That USB is only a charger, and it does not work. (In the center console. I am unaware of any other USB location.

Users who are viewing this thread