5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12" UConnect CarPlay

Kilroy

Reaction score
Were you able to test the device plugged into the back of the console? I believe plugging into USB #3 will play through UConnect and there is a little cubby above the USB, this would be a handy out of the way place to put the transmitter. I love the idea of wireless CarPlay but don't really want anything cluttering up the front of my bins.

Wired CarPlay seems to give the best audio quality (way better than Sirius, as good as HD Radio). Do you lose anything going wireless?
I have not noticed any loss of audio quality.

jebjam

Reaction score
That USB is only a charger, and it does not work. (In the center console. I am unaware of any other USB location.

Thanks for the reply. The USB inside the console is only a charger as you say, I was referring to the USB on the back of the console, meant for passengers in the rear seats. There are two, one is a charger but the USB marked "3" will connect to the UConnect system for playback of audio. I would guess the Carplay2air device will do the same and wondered if anyone had tried that. There is a small cubby above that USB that would be a great place to just leave the device, seems it could be left plugged in, wouldn't be in the front of the truck and would for the most part be out of sight but still functional.

Kilroy

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The USB inside the console is only a charger as you say, I was referring to the USB on the back of the console, meant for passengers in the rear seats. There are two, one is a charger but the USB marked "3" will connect to the UConnect system for playback of audio. I would guess the Carplay2air device will do the same and wondered if anyone had tried that. There is a small cubby above that USB that would be a great place to just leave the device, seems it could be left plugged in, wouldn't be in the front of the truck and would for the most part be out of sight but still functional.
Ah yes, those should work but I will verify for sure, that is a great idea as there are a total of 4 there as the same for the front there are 4, you can plug something into all 4 of them so if you wire into one of those then you still have 3 free. I will check!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
@jebjam ...why would you want to plug a CarPlay dongle into a USB used by rear seat passengers? I am confused o_O Are all of your front console plugs being used?

jebjam

Reaction score
@jebjam ...why would you want to plug a CarPlay dongle into a USB used by rear seat passengers? I am confused o_O Are all of your front console plugs being used?
Just personal preference. I wish UConnect supported wireless Apple CarPlay, but it doesn't. Having to leave a dongle (really more than a dongle, its a device that's a couple inches long attached by a wire plugged into a USB that has to be tucked somewhere). I just don't want something hanging out on the dash, it looks great the way it is. Using the rear USB and tucking into the cubby would be out of sight and out of mind - and feel more like factory installed wireless. Just as someone else went to the trouble of installing one behind their dash, this seems like a really simple way to not see it when I get into the vehicle, but always have it working.

Last edited:

jebjam

Reaction score
I understand, but look at the pic...this is a GREAT Spot for the dongle and it doesn't "hang".
Well, that looks like a pretty good setup, I haven't ordered the device yet but will. This is a good tip and makes buying it feel better. I imagined taking up space where my phone should go, or tucked somewhere in the dash space. That looks pretty slick, thanks for the photo!

myram2019

Reaction score
what was the group buy discount? Is it still available ?

Kilroy

Reaction score
I received my other wireless carplay device on Friday, but we are in a deep freeze and tones of snow where I am so it will be a while before I do a review. And to check what ports the device will work in.

Slickrick2369

Reaction score
With a CPlay2Air, what are the advantages. I don't currently use carplay as I hated having to wire it.

Can you play videos at all on the screen?

What apps work/don't work...

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
With a CPlay2Air, what are the advantages. I don't currently use carplay as I hated having to wire it.

Advantage is that you don't have to plug your phone into a USB to enjoy the CarPlay. CarPlay is CarPlay. If you have an iPhone, plug it into a USB and experience what it will do.

Kilroy

Reaction score
So I received the CPLAY2air Adaptor many here say they use and I have concluded that the Carllinkit 2.0 off Amazon are in fact the same devices down to the included instructions in the box. They may be slightly different packages as there are two versions of the Carlinkit and only one version of the CPALY2Air but they have the same configuration, the same IP address to access through the browser, the same interface, same connect times (between 20-30 seconds). They both have options to stream CD or DVD-quality audio (in the web interface) and they are both using the same version of the firmware when updated. I think they are just in different form factors. They do have different WIFI names, but I think they will all have different network names due to the need for randomness. I have used them both and find no differences between the function or the reliability of them.
I can recommend either one, but I would choose the Carlinkit model as it is easier to obtain (Amazon) and can be returned easily if you feel you don't like it, and it has a detachable USB-C cable that you can extend it if you want. Oh, and the connect light is on the top not the end of the device.
Let me know if you want or need any more information about them.

Kilroy

Reaction score

The functions are the same as if you were plugged in, no difference. The device simply creates a wifi connection between your phone and the device (you can then not use Wifi on the phone for the internet or hot spot) but cellular data still works. The device simply uses a chip sourced from apple to "trick" your car-play-equipped media center into thinking the phone it attached, then it streams the car play data over the wifi connection between the phone and the device.
No new functions are added.
Only apps that are designed to be compatible with Car Play will work. I think there may be some screen mirroring function too but I have not messed with that.
Siri works as well, though there is a bit of a delay compared to being directly wired. I think that is just due to the nature of how it works.

MadMadHoosier

Reaction score
I've also found the CPlay2air to work very well and installs nicely (1st image).
My only issue is how "Waze" randomly loads up. Sometimes it allows me to manipulate the map and utilize search functions using the trucks touchscreen (2nd image), and sometimes it will not allow any interaction at all (3rd image). I never know which way it will boot up, and sometimes it changes from one to the other while driving around. I've yet to understand what determines how it will function. It does not seem to be speed related, like they are stopping you from using it while moving, as sometimes I can interact at highway speeds. Anyone else see this or have any suggestions? Obviously I prefer full time touchscreen interaction.

IMG_2967.jpg
IMG_2919.jpg
IMG_2930.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread