5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12.2 MPG after first 1,000 miles

blownout1500

Reaction score
That is funny - but I think the issue is the MPG is not living up to the window sticker. Compare to the Tundra, which is a much lower rating 13/17. Also a 5.7 engine. Folks wouldn't be complaining as much if the Ram also had a 13/17 rating.

I hear you, just a joke (I couldn’t resist) :)

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
I am getting 16.5 city and 23.6 highway now that i passed the 3,000 mile mark in my 5.7 4x4 quad cab. I keep the highway cruise set around 65 mph and the hemi loves it. Before 3,000 miles i struggled to get 20 mph. I now believe the ram has the VVT shut off like chargers and challengers until the 3,000 mile mark

Edit: (these numbers are all in 2wd mode)

Those are crazy numbers and the highest I have seen. I could set my cruise at 65 mph on a flat surface and not get those numbers you posted. I am averaging 13.1 MPG over my last 3 fill-ups and that's with 75% highway.

Are you referring to the MDS system not being utilized until the 3,000 mile mark?

Mine has improved slightly since I got it and I am currently just over 2,000 miles. It's also the dead of winter here and has been really cold. I'm guessing my MPG will increase once we get rid of the winter blend fuel and the temp rises.

EJanx07

Reaction score
15.5mpg average for me, around the Boise area. I have a Lone Star-Crew Cab w/ 1300 miles. That’s with 80% city driving... (unfortunately)
I was averaging 14-14.5mpg with 4-600 miles. Seems to be slowly improving with more miles, as I’m breaking it in

Clarification:
I’m using Supreme grade fuel, that’s the only reason I can think of, why I’m getting a touch better mpg than some others...
I averaged 14mpg in my 2010 Big Horn-Crew.
Car and Driver states that (in my case), that my 2019 Lone Star is 338lbs lighter than my 2010 Big Horn. Might be making a tiny difference?

billyraff

Reaction score
Those are crazy numbers and the highest I have seen. I could set my cruise at 65 mph on a flat surface and not get those numbers you posted. I am averaging 13.1 MPG over my last 3 fill-ups and that's with 75% highway.

Are you referring to the MDS system not being utilized until the 3,000 mile mark?

Mine has improved slightly since I got it and I am currently just over 2,000 miles. It's also the dead of winter here and has been really cold. I'm guessing my MPG will increase once we get rid of the winter blend fuel and the temp rises.

The 5.7 hemis in the charger and challenger do not activate their VVT systems until 3,000 miles to allow for the break in the CPU is set for. No official report has stated this for the rams but I would imagine they are the same. my first 2,000 miles or so I was getting 14 city 19 highway. After a few more days (from my last calculation) i am still averaging 16.5 city but by hand calculating 22.4 highway on 89 octane. My quad cab is the lightest configuration you can get in 4x4 with the hemi, no moonroof or off roading gear. If i remote start and let run the numbers drop considerably. The quad cab is 100-200 pounds lighter than the crew cab depending on configuration while the rebel with off road is considerably heavier than the laramie on duelers.

Tommy R

Reaction score
This is what boggles my mind about my truck. My '01 Jeep with a bunch of body armor, 37" mud terrains, the aero of a billboard, and an underpowered 4.0L will deliver about 12-12.5 mpg at 70-75 mph. Since it runs on 87 octane it's actually cheaper to road trip in it than my brand new truck since I'm now running 89 octane in it. I came to this depressing realization on the highway coming home this weekend. My antiquated '96 Bronco with a 351 which was lifted 4-5 inches and ran 35" mud terrains would deliver similar numbers to my new truck. I know the new truck is heavier, but sheesh....

How is it the older trucks that are similarly equipped get better mileage than ours? Ours are supposedly lighter and supposedly have better aero. I didn't sign up for great mileage with this truck, but I didn't sign up for abysmal mileage that is (in some cases) only about 60% of the EPA numbers.

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
I’m with you there, Tommy. My 8.1 Suburban would get 11-12 MPG on the same trip my Ram is getting 13-14 MPG. The Suburban weighed 6800 lbs too. The Suburban would knock down 9-10 MPG pulling our boat as well. If the Ram doesn’t beat those numbers, and doesn’t tow as comfortably, I will be upset and regret selling the Suburban.

davidn0021

Reaction score
I'm sitting at 11.6 @ 300 miles w/ a range of 80 miles left. Gonna refill with 91 gas on the next two tanks to see if that makes a difference.

k1kelley

Reaction score
About 2500 miles on mine, getting average of 17.5 using 89 octane gas. Mix of stop and go and highway most of the time. On mostly highway trips at 65mph I get around 21.

Troop2865

Reaction score
I have a crew cab Bighorn with ORG and 2.5 lift/level on the front. You may have seen my post in MPG with 35’s.

I put the 35’s on at about 500 miles. I knew it would effect the mileage some. I was averaging about 13-13.5 on the interstate at 70, and yes I hand calculated My speedometer .08 off so I drove 65 according to the speedometer. I also took my odometer reading X 1.08 to get actual miles travelled.

A few weeks ago I put my factory wheels and tires back on for winter. My last tank, which was mostly interstate, showed me getting 16.5. Hand calculated I actually got 18.1 MPG. It seems to be getting better. I am at about 1600 miles now. Also, the MDS kicks in a lot more now.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have to admit I'm very disappointed at the gas mileage I am getting on my new truck. This is with me driving fairly conservatively with about 75% being city driving without hauling or towing anything. This is a far cry from the 22/19/17 Ram states for this vehicle.

I'd like to see others post their first 1,000 miles and see how it compares.

View attachment 15342

I would turn on the Eco light so you can see when your truck goes into Eco mode. Also if you remote start your truck it sucks gas so that definitely kills your mpg. I noticed me Eco light coming in more frequently after about 1200 miles. It seems to learn your driving and adjust. I would reset after 1200 miles and see if it gets better. I'm not sure if 2 wheel drive helps but some people use it if you know it's not snowing. I'm getting 14 in 4w auto with constant remote starts 1500 miles.

Pribilof

Reaction score
EPA mpg numbers / testing is a joke.

Highway test is 10.26 miles at an average speed of 48.3 mph and a maximum speed of 60 mph.
City is 11 miles at an average speed of 21.2 mph with 18% of the time spent idling and maximum speeds of 56 mph.

Do you know ANYONE who can drive 56 mph in the CITY?
And 48 mph on the highway? LOL.
The idle time is why manufacturers have gone to stop/start and small engines with turbos. Both strategies improve city mpg (in the test) yet make no difference in the real world. Just look at the recent Car & Driver test of the new Silverado. The 2.7L got WORSE mpg than the 5.3L despite what was printed on the Monroney sticker.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Do you know ANYONE who can drive 56 mph in the CITY?

Guessing you've never lived in Florida :geek:

I once got pulled over at 25 mph above the limit. The officer politely told me to keep it within 15... and have a nice day (no ticket).

davidn0021

Reaction score
Guessing you've never lived in Florida :geek:

I once got pulled over at 25 mph above the limit. The officer politely told me to keep it within 15... and have a nice day (no ticket).

Or California. Most main arterial streets here have a limit of 45mph and, in general, about 25% of the people go 15mph over that, and about 30% of those go 25mph over. The bigger the road, the faster people tend to drive. Heck, I sometimes hit 80mph on the drive up the hill to my house. And I live in urban/suburbanville SoCal.

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been around 12.5-13.5 with 1400 miles. 2" lift, Falken 275/60, and the weather here is horrendous. Below zero all the time. Lots of snow. I'm hoping it gets better but it doesn't take much given the weather.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m at like 15.2 with mostly city stop and go driving and about 1100 miles now. I don’t really ever remote start and forget to put my seatbelt on sometimes so I’m not getting the advantage of the stop start all of the time.

Tommy R

Reaction score
Rebel owners... Have any of you tried installing a milder tire, either the same size or maybe even a bit taller? Personally, I think the Goodyear Duratracs are a big factor in our bad mileage due to their rolling resistance. I don't like these tires and plan on something milder since the kind of offroading I'll be doing doesn't require anything all that aggressive. So has anyone tried a different tire and seen a difference in economy.....or not?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got to drive some freeway yesterday afternoon at 75 and was shocked to see the instant mileage bounce between 21-22! Not only do I have a heavy version but also have the 3.92 gears and ORG. I'm also on a tank of 87 octane as I play with that.

Now I do have a few variables that are in play. I'm almost at 6k miles and have installed the missing cab to bed seal and have an MX4 tonneau installed.

It was a long, flat stretch of I45 with no wind and light traffic. The last pure highway trip was back closer to 1,000 miles, no seal or tonneau, and I got 16.5 on a ~1,000 trip.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^^ Edwards

What kind of air temps? Tires?

Too hot for Feb! It was almost 70 yesterday during that drive and fairly humid. I'm running the ORG Falken's and they've been aired up to 46F/36R for 40 degrees so definitely on the high side of pressure for that run. We're back to the 40's on Friday so I'm leaving them there.

Users who are viewing this thread