5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12.2 MPG after first 1,000 miles

Dustyteeth

Reaction score
600 miles on a 5.7 Hemi, 3.92, 4x4 with 20“ wheels, with ORG package, running mid-grade gas.. Took a 300 mile Hwy drive at speeds up to 85mph, averaged 17. 6mph round trip.

Truckin

Reaction score
My first tank I averaged (hand calculated) 12.92mpg, and I was babying it for break-in and never went over 60mph. I just filled up tonight and on my second tank I averaged 12.54mpg...Second tank I drove it a bit more aggressive with speeds up to 75mph and did a lot of 30-70mph sprints, again for break-in but still have not floored it nor driven hard from a stop. The actual MPG is OFF due to tire size and not correcting for speedometer errors (factory tires are 32" and the KO2's are just over 34". All in all, I am not too disappointed and expect to see around 14-15mpg after break-in. Just have to remember, it is a loaded full size 4x4 V8 with 3.92 gears, larger than stock tires and a driver with a slightly heavy right foot :)

U

User_6565

I was at about 275 miles on the odometer, gauge showing 14.5 MPG. We took a trip and put a couple hundred miles on the truck and when we returned, the gauge showed 18.6 MPG. Now that I’m back and doing some city driving, it’s dropping down again (oh, and with the 33 gallon tank, today was my first fill up).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Yeah, unfortunately mine sucks too my man, but hey, I could care less, I bought a TRUCK I don’t expect my Civic gas mileage I had before. I am kind of a road monster, so I don’t blame the truck.

I work in the car business and unfortunately some cars are better than others, I’m getting around 20 or so on the highway, my gas mileage sky rockets when I am on the freeway.

OuachitaAdventure

Reaction score
These threads make me glad I have 3.21s. I get over 20 on the highway and around 17 in town. Hand calculated numbers. Over 100 miles the trip computer is off by about 2 mpg.

2wd

Reaction score
I highly recommend folks configure their gauge cluster to display instant readout of MPG (not avg). It's a great way to see how much fuel you're burning in a given scenario. I've been observing consumption via this method for over 1000 miles and have noted the following:

1) Folks who use remote start a lot will significantly impact their mileage readouts tank to tank. I have done this and can verify.
2) Around town city driving I get 14-17.
3) HWY, I'm getting 22 at 65mph, 21 at 75mph, and 20 at 80mph. This is all flat ground
4) Whenever MDS kicks on, I notice my fuel consumption improves about 10%, regardless of current consumption/speed.
5) I drafted a semi for a few miles, MPG shot into the 30's! Wind is a big deal to your MPG
6) Inclines, even small, affect your consumption significantly. On the highway, short up inclines can drop you to 15, while short declines can shoot you into the high 20's.

I have 2K miles, 5.7 non-ET, 3.21, Crew Cab. 4x4

Last edited:

Rancidlunchmeat

Reaction score
Any overall consensus so far? From this thread and Youtube reviews, it does seem like 2019 5.7 is getting worse gas mileage than expected. Is it the 8 speed? Some are reporting MPG equivalent to what you get with 6.4 2500.

Runningwithbeers

Reaction score
Any overall consensus so far? From this thread and Youtube reviews, it does seem like 2019 5.7 is getting worse gas mileage than expected. Is it the 8 speed? Some are reporting MPG equivalent to what you get with 6.4 2500.

I think the stated MPG for the window sticker was slightly high but today after driving into work I was at 18.9 so I can't complain I just think there's too many variables to really get an apples to apples feel for the MPG (rear end gear, Lift, tire size, wheel size/weight, driving style etc). I tend to let off the gas and just let it coast at speed when ever I can but if I drove the truck like I drive my Challenger I'm sure the MPG would be single digits. I'll be switching to after market wheels and 33 inch tires so I'd expect that to ding me a bit in the near future.

Take it easy
Jay

RamSportDT

Reaction score
I have a Bighorn CC, 4x4, no sunroof, factory tires, and i'm getting 18.5 mpg, at 2000 miles, 60% highway, including some remote starts (cold mornings here in Canada). I've notice improvement from 500 miles to 1500 miles was getting around 14-16 mpg for that 1000 miles or so.

RAM309702

Reaction score
For what it is worth. This is my first new FCA product. Have you looked at what Ram's competitors are putting on their stickers versus what is real life? Go visit some other forums and read their comments. As far as window sticker versus real life for my Ram, I fully expect to hit those numbers based on what I am seeing so far. I think all of the manufacturers post numbers based on ideal situations (temp, altitude, speed, fuel, tune, configuration, wax, etc). From what I can see I think the Ram numbers are the most realistic of the bunch. One opinion.

Of course I reserve the right to change that opinion, alter or delete this post, and any other form of back tracking. :)

TFL did a very long loop, comparing Ford to Ram to Chevy -- RAM was by far off by the highest % point -- watch the video here:

Obviously this is just one test, but it seems to be a good representation of what is going on

Barqs

Reaction score
I just turned over 3k on my Laramie 5.7 4x4, and am hitting pretty much the sticker MPG numbers now. I took a trip to Atlanta over last weekend going "over the mountains and through the woods" and averaged 20.1 MPG round trip. On the short stretches of the interstate I'd often see 22-23 MPG on the display.

I debated between the 1500 and waiting on a 2019 2500 Power Wagon 6.4L, but couldn't stomach the idea of having to pump premium gas into a truck that was expecting 14 MPG. So glad my Laramie isn't taking the fuel mileage hit that others are experiencing.

19RAMSRU

Reaction score
I am averaging 13.1 mpg. 91 octane. 3.92 gear offroad package. 80% hwy. Oh and I am at 10,000k miles. Needless to say I'm a bit disappointed. Granted I am running a higher ratio. And tires. But still...

slimchance

Reaction score
i am running 88 octane and have 3.92 in both our trks .... click on my fuelly link below and see what we are getting .. both trks are around 4,500 miles

jp413

Reaction score
I have a new 19 ram bighorn w 3.92 gears.. I not have just about 2k miles on it. When i first got it i was averaging 14-15 mpg. I added a tonneau and now get 16-16.5. Keep in mind this is while using my remote start every day. I would expect to get more once im not letting it run for 10 min in the morning. my drive is by no means flat ground either. I have a 55 mile commute daily, that is prob 75% hwy.
However getting 16.5 gpm with a truck id say is pretty good. I bought it to tow with and came from a 2015 jeep grand cherokee limited. Same driving i do now i would average 18-19 mpg... 200 - 300 mile long highway run i could see as high as 24 mpg. That was also a 6 cyl. Over all to be getting what i am now, Im satisfied. i wanted a truck not a prius... plus it rides like my jeep did... never know you were in a truck going 75..and be so smooth

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am very happy with my e-torque engine and better body Aerodynamics. I am saving a little over $63 a month in fuel expenses compared to my prior 3.92 gear 1500 5.7 4x4 with only MDS. mileage.jpg

Last edited:

Creep0321

Reaction score
First trip home from the dealership yesterday! Granted not too long and it’s the computer but I’m content so far. 21226

Users who are viewing this thread