5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12.1 Radio Obsolete already!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You guys have me doing math now...just for the fun of it :)

At a screen resolution of 1024 x 768, the 8.4" UConnect 4C should have a 4:3 aspect ratio and screen dimensions of 6.72" W x 5.04" T. If it doesn't, either the proportions are unusual or it's not a true 8.4" diagonal. (Maybe someone out there can verify.)

Likewise, at a screen resolution of 1920 x 1080 (portrait), the 12" UConnect 4C should have a 16:9 aspect ratio and measure 5.88" W x 10.46" T. But it doesn't. Mine measures exactly 6.25" wide and ~10" tall, giving it an overall screen size (diagonal) of 11.8". Rumors of this being a 12.1" or even 12" UConnect appear to be exaggerated ;)

The good thing about a resolution of 6.25" W x 10" T is that we're talking about a 1.6 aspect ratio, or 16:10 (portrait)—a known resolution. The bad thing is that this suggests the reported resolution of 1920 x 1080 is incorrect. So it's much more likely to be 1920 x 1200, 1680 x 1050, or 1440 x 900. Unfortunately, I can find no reliable info anywhere about this.

What I do know is that when running split apps on the (almost) 12" UConnect, we are using two 6.25" W x 5" T screens, or two 8" (diagonal) screens...just slightly smaller than the 8.4" screen.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
You guys have me doing math now...just for the fun of it :)

At a screen resolution of 1024 x 768, the 8.4" UConnect 4C should have a 4:3 aspect ratio and screen dimensions of 6.72" W x 5.04" T. If it doesn't, either the proportions are unusual or it's not a true 8.4" diagonal. (Maybe someone out there can verify.)

Likewise, at a screen resolution of 1920 x 1080 (portrait), the 12" UConnect 4C should have a 16:9 aspect ratio and measure 5.88" W x 10.46" T. But it doesn't. Mine measures exactly 6.25" wide and ~10" tall, giving it an overall screen size (diagonal) of 11.8". Rumors of this being a 12.1" or even 12" UConnect appear to be exaggerated ;)

The good thing about a resolution of 6.25" W x 10" T is that we're talking about a 1.6 aspect ratio, or 16:10 (portrait)—a known resolution. The bad thing is that this suggests the reported resolution of 1920 x 1080 is incorrect. So it's much more likely to be 1920 x 1200, 1680 x 1050, or 1440 x 900. Unfortunately, I can find no reliable info anywhere about this.

What I do know is that when running split apps on the (almost) 12" UConnect, we are using two 6.25" W x 5" T screens, or two 8" (diagonal) screens...just slightly smaller than the 8.4" screen.
Wish I had all of your free time:ROFLMAO:

paulrkiii

Reaction score
It's great when it works, mine likes to randomly continuously reboot, USB plugs stop working, and environmental controls become unresponsive. Took it the the dealership and they told me it's going bad but they aren't authorized to order a replacement currently. That was over 30 days ago, called earlier today and they told me the same thing still. I loved this truck the first month I had it but it's had one issue after another the past few months.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's great when it works, mine likes to randomly continuously reboot, USB plugs stop working, and environmental controls become unresponsive. Took it the the dealership and they told me it's going bad but they aren't authorized to order a replacement currently. That was over 30 days ago, called earlier today and they told me the same thing still. I loved this truck the first month I had it but it's had one issue after another the past few months.
Create a case with FCA and/or contact @RamCares

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What exactly makes it inferior to the 8.4”? The health reports? They’re pointless. I have an 8.4” now and can’t say I’ve ever been ecstatic to see my vehicle health report.. also for the new Uconnect system I don’t expect that to get upgraded as the new system comes out. It’s like buying a new phone and then expecting to see 4 upgraded versions of it before you buy a new one..

reb0957

Reaction score
Travellink map only works for 5 seconds per vehicle on off cycle. I was trying to see hurricane track. It flashed for 4 seconds then gone. Same for radar.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

elinventorcito

Reaction score
LOL you really think any of the other OEM's are better? Hate to tell you but no Sync 3 owners are going to get the new features of Sync 4, GM peeps aint getting the next gen stuff on their existing units, etc etc etc.
Also if the DT ends up with the Uconnect 5 in the future, somebody will figure out a way to retrofit it. Never ever buy a car with the expectation that it will get upgraded with new capabilities(unless its a Tesla), if there is something you want then get it when you buy otherwise you are just going to be disappointed
I understand with every gen there will be upgrades in the system but that take several year my 2020 ram with connect 4 12.1 is useless from just one year behind, since the 2021 have the uconnect 5 really disappointed.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I understand with every gen there will be upgrades in the system but that take several year my 2020 ram with connect 4 12.1 is useless from just one year behind, since the 2021 have the uconnect 5 really disappointed.
2021 doesn't have Uconnect 5. 2022 does. And the 2022's are buggy as hell and having all sorts of issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/