5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12.1 Radio Obsolete already!

Txmade

Reaction score
So I emailed the head of Ram Sales USA division Reid Bigland and asked why the 12.1 radio cant even get the same features as the other radios such as Mopar marketplace and how it’s a shame that they are already dumping the current Uconnect software for the android based version .
Well the executive response team has been reaching out to me and we have been playing phone tag, but they left me a voicemail stating that the 12.1 radio doesn’t have the ram or space for the other features and it will not be getting them. He then went on to confirm that we will not be able to upgrade our radios to the new one once it comes out.
This is flat out crap, I understand the Uconnect 5, but not being able to receive some of the other Uconnect features that the 8.4 gets is flat out pathetic . I will never buy a ram again. You would have thought their infotainment engineers would have made that discovery about the Ram and space before it went to production . For some this won’t bother you, but for me we have the top end radio and can’t even get basic features like vehicle health reports or the Mopar market and that is inexcusable. Rant over lol!

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I emailed the head of Ram Sales USA division Reid Bigland and asked why the 12.1 radio cant even get the same features as the other radios such as Mopar marketplace and how it’s a shame that they are already dumping the current Uconnect software for the android based version .
Well the executive response team has been reaching out to me and we have been playing phone tag, but they left me a voicemail stating that the 12.1 radio doesn’t have the ram or space for the other features and it will not be getting them. He then went on to confirm that we will not be able to upgrade our radios to the new one once it comes out.
This is flat out crap, I understand the Uconnect 5, but not being able to receive some of the other Uconnect features that the 8.4 gets is flat out pathetic . I will never buy a ram again. You would have thought their infotainment engineers would have made that discovery about the Ram and space before it went to production . For some this won’t bother you, but for me we have the top end radio and can’t even get basic features like vehicle health reports or the Mopar market and that is inexcusable. Rant over lol!
LOL you really think any of the other OEM's are better? Hate to tell you but no Sync 3 owners are going to get the new features of Sync 4, GM peeps aint getting the next gen stuff on their existing units, etc etc etc.
Also if the DT ends up with the Uconnect 5 in the future, somebody will figure out a way to retrofit it. Never ever buy a car with the expectation that it will get upgraded with new capabilities(unless its a Tesla), if there is something you want then get it when you buy otherwise you are just going to be disappointed.

Twoamen

Reaction score
There is some hype on these aftermarket replacement infotainment systems. I came across them on a search to activate Navigation on the fly. There is tons of info on these but have not hit the exact 2019 DT model yet. If your into modifications you probable can get your truck to adapt with options available.

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is some hype on these aftermarket replacement infotainment systems. I came across them on a search to activate Navigation on the fly. There is tons of info on these but have not hit the exact 2019 DT model yet. If your into modifications you probable can get your truck to adapt with options available.
99.9% of those radios are trash. you think getting updates suck for the factory systems.....good luck with any of those Chinese radios.

Txmade

Reaction score
If you read the post I said I understand us not getting Uconnect 5, but for us to not get the Mopar Market or vehicle health reports when comparable trucks with the 8.4 get those features is where my frustrations is.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you read the post I said I understand us not getting Uconnect 5, but for us to not get the Mopar Market or vehicle health reports when comparable trucks with the 8.4 get those features is where my frustrations is.
Agreed. It’s one of the items that was advertised for our systems when I ordered in May 2018. And when I asked FCA about it in late 2018 and again in early 2019, I was told they were aware of the issue and working on an update. Was that a lie? Looks like it. Worth a lawsuit? I’m guessing they don’t think so.

INVISBLE

Reaction score
Quite honestly I dont want my truck tied into being able to buy things from anywhere through its Infotainment system thats for sure. Just one more way for you to loose money if it gets hacked just like everything else. Happy it works as well as it does seeing its a computer and companies like Microsoft cant even get their updates to work on literally billions of computers all over the world. So FCA is doing well enough to manage a few hundred thousand of us.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Could be worse. My wife's Audi, which we just finished lemon lawing, came with Google Earth in the digital ****pit cluster. Shortly after we purchased it in 2018 we found out Google Earth would go away in 2 years because the hardware would no longer support it.

This was a highly marketed feature and they knew it was going to get yanked even when they sold us the car. 2019s had the newer hardware but no one said a thing about it. We could have waited just a few months and gotten the new hardware. It was a pretty sucky situation.

Fortunately it's no longer our problem and I'll probably never buy another Audi.

They are all doing similar things. I guess they figure it'll drive new sales... And it might.

smashweights

Reaction score
Sadly this is the auto business and it's not just FCA. We bought a 2016 Forester with Subaru's new eyesight system. Didn't realize at the time but every other Subaru model came with BLIS and rear cross alert in that package. 6 months later the 2017 forester gets those as well. No one calling us to add it on.

One day maybe cars will be more like consumer electronics and get new/modular capabilities but for now those "new" features probably drive people to upgrade...

Smon

Reaction score
Will the new 12" Uconnect system be in new builds or did they announce for the 2021 models? About to order, but don't want to be a week too early on the build for the update or something.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Will the new 12" Uconnect system be in new builds or did they announce for the 2021 models? About to order, but don't want to be a week too early on the build for the update or something.
Definitely 2021 model year at least....

kevinho

Reaction score
I have to agree 100%. If I’d known that the 12 inch Uconnect was inferior to the 8.4 then I’d have gone with the 8.4. I specifically went with this truck for the tech and specifically the 12 inch screen because Ram promised that it was by far the most feature rich. Turns out that was all lies and as far as I’m concerned, I was sold a bad bill of goods. I work in tech, this stuff is very important to me.

Narg

Reaction score
Funny that the average life of a new vehicle for first owner is 3 years. Always been that way, probably always will.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have to agree 100%. If I’d known that the 12 inch Uconnect was inferior to the 8.4 then I’d have gone with the 8.4. I specifically went with this truck for the tech and specifically the 12 inch screen because Ram promised that it was by far the most feature rich. Turns out that was all lies and as far as I’m concerned, I was sold a bad bill of goods. I work in tech, this stuff is very important to me.

This post drips with drama.

How exactly is it inferior? It definitely has its issues however all of these head units do from all manufacturers.

JeepCritter

Reaction score
Bummer. But I'd file this under the "let's charge 800 for crap nav, then charge 150 for a map update even though Waze is free" category. Manufacturers should really turn over all technology to tech companies, like Apple or HP or something. I'll have to think about that 12 inch screen option now....

INVISBLE

Reaction score
This post drips with drama.

How exactly is it inferior? It definitely has its issues however all of these head units do from all manufacturers.
I agree, all systems have issues PLUS technology items in general obsolete themselves in less than 6 months anyway. I for one am happy with with what the 12.1 offers. And since I have a new phone that has the newest features I just need the radio to mainly play music which it does very well. All the other stuff it does is just the proverbial icing on the cake.

reb0957

Reaction score
I bought this truck thinking this 12" screen would be flag shipped and taken care of. I am a beta tester for anything android has Pixel related. On its best day this screen is a beta version at best. The sad part is it acts so different everyday. I knew I was getting new tech but the said part is it isn't as good as my 2016 8.4N other than it has AA. They could at least fix the current issues!

Users who are viewing this thread