5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12.1” Uconnect intermittent pauses

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
We're definitely lab rats in this situation. That's pretty crazy with the Bluetooth situation, I'll have to keep my eye out for that.

I'll post an update as things progress, but I really want to narrow down the issue before bringing it to the dealer's attention. That way, they can re-produce the issue quickly and we can maybe get an answer from FCA.

I really do think its uConnect booting up at the same time as the engine starts, as you said, too many things happening at the same time.

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
Just wanted to update this thread:

I experienced the issue again this early morning. I started the truck like normal (using push-button start, not the remote start). Waited until the truck started up (cluster screen got through its boot process), then powered-on the uConnect system. I immediately noticed the intermittent audio.

I drove for about 10 mins to my destination, and let it sit for about 2 hours. Usually this resolves the issue, but it happened again. Same processes were followed as described above.

My only theory at the moment is the cold weather. Each instance of this happening the ambient outside temperature has been at or below 5*C. So far I've ruled out:

- automatic heated steering wheel / seats with remote start.
- using remote start.
- powering on uConnect immediately after the truck has been started.

Just as note - every single time I park the truck, I power-off all accessories, HVAC, and uConnect. I'm wondering if just leaving them powered-on when I park and shut down the truck?

The search of the answer continues...

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
d_THRILL - any chance do you have any more than one Bluetooth device paired to the truck? If so, any chance do you have both (or more) devices with you when you enter or start the truck?

I have two phones paired to the truck. Wondering if they're fighting over the Bluetooth connection. It wouldn't make sense since you have to manually select which Bluetooth device you want to use, but when I unpaired/removed the Bluetooth settings on both my phones, then walked over to my truck and started it, the first message/warning I received was the lack of a Bluetooth connection.

Anyway, the issue re-appeared this morning (no Bluetooth connections whatsoever), but I'm wondering by doing this it screws up something with the software or settings somehow?

I scheduled an appointment with the dealership to have this looked at next week, as well as recorded a video of all the symptoms. For now, I'm ready to pull the negative terminal on the truck and let it sit for about 20-30 minutes as a last ditch effort. I managed to get into "Dealer Mode" in uConnect (press and hold the two bottom sides of the touchscreen), but there is no option for any resets. The other reset option located in the settings menu only offers a "Factory Reset" which really just sets everything back to default.

d_THRILL

Reaction score
Only one Bluetooth device connected to truck. I haven’t had the problem happen since my last post. I’m sure it’s only a matter of time though. Please let me know how you make out at the dealer.

barnesrf

Reaction score
Only one Bluetooth device connected to truck. I haven’t had the problem happen since my last post. I’m sure it’s only a matter of time though. Please let me know how you make out at the dealer.
Today I remote started my 1500 Limited with the key fob. The 12 inch screen is frozen and I cannot change screens, volume or channels. The back-up camera does not work either. It was 30 degrees F. this morning. This has never happened to me. The truck only has 2000 miles on it. I have parked it at work and will see if it works when I get in to drive home. I also have issues with the door unlocking when I touch it. It is a hit and miss on this working.

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
Just curious as well, what type of phone are you connecting via USB, and which version of the OS?

uConnect keeps the history of which phones are connected via Bluetooth and USB (CarPlay and AndroidAuto). I had both my phones (iPhone 6 and 6S, same OS) and my wife's (iPhone 6S and iPhone 8 Plus, different OS) shown on the "Screen Mirroring" device list. At times we've had two devices connected at the same time. Since I've removed all phone connections, I haven't had the issue since, even with this morning's cold weather and remote start.

d_THRILL

Reaction score
iPhone X on iOS 12. I haven’t had the problem in a while. Some things I’ve been doing differently: waiting for UConnect screen to boot up before gearing into drive and plugging phone in. After booted up, I plug my phone in using USB-A cord. No longer using USB-C cord. Temperatures around here dropped to the point where heated seats and steering wheel come on with no impact to the system, but that’s on push start. Haven’t used remote start in a while.

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
Thanks d_THRILL. Happy to hear that its somewhat resolved for you.

At this moment its been totally random. I can't seem to replicate the issue. My latest theory is multiple phones connecting to the system, either through Bluetooth or USB. Since all these phones varied in hardware and iOS version, its hard to say which one could be the culprit, if it is that. The issue also happened once after I removed all the phone settings (the very next day), so I'm starting to doubt that as well.

When I spoke with the service rep at RAM, they wanted to keep the truck overnight to see if they can replicate it - which is a no go for me since I need my truck (they weren't offering a loaner either).

My only course of action (if it happens again) is to pull the negative terminal on the battery. This should do a hard reset on uConnect.

Just to summarize, since I probably won't post on here again until I find a solid answer, and I want this thread updated so for anyone with the issues can see the latest:

ISSUE:
- Intermittent audio (music only) from all sources (AM, FM, Sirius, USB, Bluetooth, Device Mirroring).
- Rear backup camera guidance lines disappear.
- Voice recognition disabled (pressing the VR button does nothing).

TROUBLESHOOTING NOTES:
- We both saw the issue mid October (October 17 and 19). Ironically, I saw mine literally one month + 1 day after taking delivery.
- Happened on both 8.4c and 12" uConnect systems. 8.4c is on the latest firmware (verified via uConnect website).
- Concluded that the following doesn't replicate the issue (at least for myself, 8.4c uConnect):
1. Remote start via key fob.
2. Automatic heated seats / steering wheel to turn on with remote start.
3. Waiting for the truck to fully start before powering-on uConnect and/or HVAC systems.
4. Removing all Bluetooth and USB connections (device screen mirroring). All devices connected were iPhones, varying in hardware and iOS (iPhone 6, 6S, 8+, X).
5. Cold weather, as getting the truck warmed up, driving it, shutting it down, then starting again can sometimes bring the issue back. Although this issue started when the temperatures got below 5*C.

Will post/update when I find a solid solution.

Last edited:

d_THRILL

Reaction score
My only course of action (if it happens again) is to pull the negative terminal on the battery. This should do a hard reset on uConnect.

I can't find the thread right now, but someone recently posted (or commented on) a thread teaching how to do a hard reset for the Uconnect system. I can't remember exactly, but something about holding down the green call button and red hang up button on the steering wheel at the same time for about 10 seconds. It was then mentioned that this method worked on previous generation models, but not sure if it works on this generation. Another person, in the same thread, mention disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery alone was not enough to do a hard reset, as the Uconnect system has its own backup battery. I really wish I could find the thread. I'll keep looking and post it if I find it. But only mentioning this as I'm not sure if disconnecting the battery is actually doing anything now.

d_THRILL

Reaction score
Rick, I may be on to something. Next time you get in your truck, try pushing your start button to "On" or "Acc" or "Run" WITHOUT first holding the brake pedal down. Then put your foot on the brake and push again to start the truck. Let me know if you get the intermittent pauses. If so, what I think might be happening is we're pushing the start button before our foot actually hits the brake pedal. We're talking milliseconds here. It can explain the remote start too being that the truck is already up and running and we have to push the button again to activate it. I tested this twice and both times I got the intermittent pauses in the audio and no guidance lines in rearview camera.

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
Thanks d_THRILL. I'll give that a try later this afternoon. Let me know how the update goes. Which version did you get updated to?

I actually got the issue this morning again (it comes and goes every other day it seems). At work at the moment, but if it comes back when I get back into the truck, I'm going straight to the dealer (since they'll see first hand the symptoms). I'm hoping to at least have this noted in my records, and hopefully have them update it.

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
FYI - I created another thread in the main section for this issue, hoping it would get more visibility.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...mittent-pauses-in-audio-for-all-sources.3822/

I just got back from the dealership, and had them note the issue (as it was happening). The technician noted it into my files/records, as well as found that I was already on the latest software/firmware. For now, I've disconnected the negative terminal on the battery, and I'm letting the truck sit for an hour to see if it resets anything. I'm wondering if any settings would go back to factory default.

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
Disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery and letting it "reset" did not work. The issue re-appeared this afternoon. Just to note, I drove the truck earlier this morning without issue, when the temperatures were much colder.

Also, after doing a bit of searching, it appears that our friends in the JL Wrangler Forums are having the exact same issue.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/audio-cutting-in-and-out.16942/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/audio-system-issue-cutting-in-and-out.16947/

Coincidentally, it appears we all started experiencing this issue on OCTOBER 18, 2018. Was there something that was "pushed" to our vehicles the evening before? Could it be the cold weather?

I've also updated my thread in the main section with the exact same information shown above.

d_THRILL

Reaction score
You’ve been doing a lot of work trying to get to the bottom of this, Rick! Nice work and much appreciated. So as you know, I got the new update pushed to my truck the other day. However, and unfortunately, today the intermittent pauses struck me not once, but THREE times! Was so depressing. I can’t figure out what it is and I’m so fed up with trying to. Anyway, finding things to be thankful for. Happy thanksgiving man.

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
You’ve been doing a lot of work trying to get to the bottom of this, Rick! Nice work and much appreciated. So as you know, I got the new update pushed to my truck the other day. However, and unfortunately, today the intermittent pauses struck me not once, but THREE times! Was so depressing. I can’t figure out what it is and I’m so fed up with trying to. Anyway, finding things to be thankful for. Happy thanksgiving man.

Thanks man. I have a career in IT, so my job is to troubleshoot and find the root cause of issues :)

Yes, its definitely a PITA and somewhat disheartening, knowing I just purchased a brand new truck and the radio doesn't work as designed. I'm sad to hear that the update that was pushed to you didn't resolve the issue either. At this point, I'd just bring it to the dealer on your next scheduled visit and have them note it down. The only real way this can get resolved is if it gets onto the radar of FCA and their uConnect engineers. I've private messaged @RamCares about this already, awaiting to hear back.

And Happy Thanksgiving. I'm in Canada so we already celebrated a month ago, but eat some turkey for me :)

Devils Voice

Reaction score
Thanks man. I have a career in IT, so my job is to troubleshoot and find the root cause of issues :)

Yes, its definitely a PITA and somewhat disheartening, knowing I just purchased a brand new truck and the radio doesn't work as designed. I'm sad to hear that the update that was pushed to you didn't resolve the issue either. At this point, I'd just bring it to the dealer on your next scheduled visit and have them note it down. The only real way this can get resolved is if it gets onto the radar of FCA and their uConnect engineers. I've private messaged @RamCares about this already, awaiting to hear back.

And Happy Thanksgiving. I'm in Canada so we already celebrated a month ago, but eat some turkey for me :)
I would like to chime in here as well. My blue tooth connection skips all the time. It never goes away. If I'm plugged in to usb no issue. Similar but doesn't sound related to your issue. Just wanted too mention it. See if anyone had any ideas???

d_THRILL

Reaction score
Just an update on my end on this. I brought the truck in regarding the TSB that Rick shared in the 8.4 thread and I shared that with the dealer but unfortunately it was not for my truck with the 12.1" screen. The dealer said they reset my system to factory settings but I can confirm that did nothing other than annoy me that I had to reprogram all my saved settings. It happened to also prompt me to resync my iPhone via Bluetooth, but I declined thinking let me drive a while without pairing my phone and see if that does anything. I got about a week with no issues but they started again yesterday. So since that happened, I paired my phone via Bluetooth knowing that was not the cause. Ironically, I've been in contact with FCA about my issue after posting a negative review regarding my system. They contacted me regarding the review and are opening a star case for my truck to try and figure out what's going on. I pointed them to my thread, as well as RIC3BOY's thread in the 8.4 section, and pointed out the Jeep issues mentioned in that thread as well. Trying to educate them as much as possible so they can get right to it. Hopefully, we can get some answers and a resolution. I'll keep everyone posted.

Users who are viewing this thread