5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12” Software update is out

bonebro

Reaction score
Had mine in yesterday and they said there was no update.

RHut

Reaction score
Finally! I haven’t had it done yet but it has to be better than what we currently have
Beware!

That’s the update that killed my navigation

STAR rep said it fixed nearly all problems for a client

It fixed my xm preset problems (maybe) but now my screen goes blank or stays blank after starting car. Have to hit power button twice to get the screen to come on

James Cole

Reaction score
Can this update be downloded trough the Uconnect site or how do I get it ?

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Finally! I haven’t had it done yet but it has to be better than what we currently have

According to the Uconnect site my software is up to date, but I haven't been in for service since March. What does it show the have to do for the fix/ update?

mikeruoc

Reaction score
So you don’t think there will be an OTA? They have done all the ones in the past via OTA.

Gtbrown

Reaction score
The TSB states that it applies to trucks built on or before January 14th. My Limited was built in February, and I am experiencing the Nav failure. As a work around I wait until the Nav is fully booted and displaying the map before plugging my iPhone in. Since doing that no failures.

2020RamDoc

Reaction score
Mine doesn’t recall presets and starts up on XM preview channel. Debating taking it in...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeofokc

Reaction score
Mine doesn’t recall presets and starts up on XM preview channel. Debating taking it in...

The reason it doesn't recall your presets is because you haven't set them into either the memory setting 1 or 2. The seat memory is not just for the seat position at startup but also XM Radio presets, side mirror position, foot pedal position and climate control.

Make sure you have just 1 key fob in the vehicle. With the engine running and in park then set up everything you want to be remembered. That means not only your seat position but your XM Radio AM/FM/Serius channels, foot pedal position, side mirror positions etc. Now push the S button on the drivers door and either 1 or 2 memory button. Then and only then will the settings you want be remembered. If you want to change your channel presets in the future just recall that the way your seat or mirrors or anything is set at the time you push the S then 1 or 2 memory buttons then that's what will be remembered.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No. Have to bring to dealer. Software is over 10gb
Well that blows. What's the point of OTA updating if you have to bring it in? Somebody isn't thinking.

I've had some CarPlay oddities over the past month or so. I no longer get album art with Pandora. I had the entire radio restart on me last week after starting the truck, waiting for everything to get to a ready state, and then plugging in my iPhone. I'm also finding that I need to open both Google Maps and Pandora before connecting to make sure they work correctly after being connected via Lightning cable. I had no issues at all when I first got my truck.

mikeofokc

Reaction score
Uconnect will update automatically over the air(OTA) however if signal connection is weak then it will take longer or it may take many tries before the update is successful. The success of the update is a function of both file size and signal strength. Taking it to your dealer may necessary as they can get the fastest connection when hardwired to the truck. We all know that a computer wired to the internet is faster than over wifi, same as now.

The Uconnect software updates are separate from your vehicles Program Control Module program updates.

The software updates for your PCM and all the engine operating programs can only be done at the dealer. These programs do not update OTA. I bought mine in July 2019 and every time I went to the dealer there was a new update. FCA does not send out any notices of these PCM software updates but the updates have been frequent. Anytime you take your vehicle to the dealer for some type of problem, FCA requires the techs check for updates before proceeding any service.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We all know that a computer wired to the internet is faster than over wifi, same as now.
Not an accurate statement. The access speed to the Internet is usually the limiting factor. Sometimes I get a faster connection over LTE on my phone than I get on my home wired network.

Even in computer networking terms, it depends on the speed of the wired technology. With advancements in WLAN technologies, WiFi could be faster than wired depending on the technology used.

Where wired tends to always have the advantage is related to signal quality.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As I think more about this, 10GB for an infotainment update is insane. That's more than 2x the size (68% larger) of the Windows 10 Pro OS on my gaming laptop.

Last edited:

RHut

Reaction score
The TSB states that it applies to trucks built on or before January 14th. My Limited was built in February, and I am experiencing the Nav failure. As a work around I wait until the Nav is fully booted and displaying the map before plugging my iPhone in. Since doing that no failures.
Where you find the build date?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Uconnect will update automatically over the air(OTA) however if signal connection is weak then it will take longer or it may take many tries before the update is successful. The success of the update is a function of both file size and signal strength. Taking it to your dealer may necessary as they can get the fastest connection when hardwired to the truck. We all know that a computer wired to the internet is faster than over wifi, same as now.

The Uconnect software updates are separate from your vehicles Program Control Module program updates.

The software updates for your PCM and all the engine operating programs can only be done at the dealer. These programs do not update OTA. I bought mine in July 2019 and every time I went to the dealer there was a new update. FCA does not send out any notices of these PCM software updates but the updates have been frequent. Anytime you take your vehicle to the dealer for some type of problem, FCA requires the techs check for updates before proceeding any service.
This is making me wish I could just connect my Ram to my home WiFi network. I have 1 Gbps down/up, and I can pull more than 600 Mbps over WiFi.

ADJS

Reaction score
Does anybody know if this updated fixes the Uconnect SiriusXM Guardian app failing commands sent after the truck has sat for a few hours?

Gtbrown

Reaction score
Where you find the build date?

Here's one pic of the label on the driver's door with build date.

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any new features with this update or just bug fixes?

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The TSB mentions voice recognition as one of the fixes. Does anyone know if that fixes the voice command feature in the NAV system that has been inoperable since we got our vehicles?

Users who are viewing this thread