5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2025 Ram 1500 First Drive: No More Hemi

Jedi9

Reaction score
I lifted mine so I could slide under it easier to change the oil

cpetku

Reaction score
I would guess the algorithms that turn on the oil change indicator more accurately senses oil condition than what a person can determine by just looking at oil on the dipstick.
Personally I don't trust the Oil Quality sensors. Had a friend that relied upon one with her EcoTeck engine (GM) only to have the dealer tell her that it didn't work reliably and to change the oil every xxxx miles. Later she found out that advice was also bad since that engine design burned oil and caused timing chain issues. Checking oil using a dipstick can save an engine. Relying on sensors alone can kill it with time. I had to scold her for not checking the dipstick when I did the second timing chain (first done by dealer under warranty), phasars and exhaust cam shaft.

Eliminating the dipstick is a bad decision.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m kind of curious now. Out of all of the people that drive vehicles, what percentage do we think actually check their oil?
Then, out of those people that do check their oil, what percentage would even know what the heck they’re looking at to make a determination that the oil needs to be changed?

My guess is, the percentage is so low that NOT having a dipstick, and having an oil level sensor instead (which is the most basic of all sensor technologies) would be more beneficial to the average vehicle driver.
At the very least, the people that drive around that the extent of their maintenance is just putting gas in the vehicle when it’s low, will at least have an indication that their oil is critically low or high, just like they can see that their gas is low.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not my preferred option to use a electronic meter for oil level, but I've had one in E90 BMW for over 20 years and no issues. No diptick either, so how sure can I be, but seems to be working right that the car has well over 200K miles.
I’m kind of curious now. Out of all of the people that drive vehicles, what percentage do we think actually check their oil?
Then, out of those people that do check their oil, what percentage would even know what the heck they’re looking at to make a determination that the oil needs to be changed?

My guess is, the percentage is so low that NOT having a dipstick, and having an oil level sensor instead (which is the most basic of all sensor technologies) would be more beneficial to the average vehicle driver.
At the very least, the people that drive around that the extent of their maintenance is just putting gas in the vehicle when it’s low, will at least have an indication that their oil is critically low or high, just like they can see that their gas is low.

Except in the RAM, where you don't actually have a low oil level indicator. You literally have to visually check to be sure what level you are at, even if it's below 1 quart you will receive no warning. The only warning you will have is a low oil pressure.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd have to go back to changing my own oil. First thing I do after an oil change is pull the dip stick to check the oil and make sure they actually changed it. I've caught them not changing the oil filter and I can see them pushing the reset button on the cluster and doing nothing else.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Except in the RAM, where you don't actually have a low oil level indicator. You literally have to visually check to be sure what level you are at, even if it's below 1 quart you will receive no warning. The only warning you will have is a low oil pressure.
I’m referring to the 2025 ram, which does have an oil level indicator, and no dipstick.
Me personally, I see no need for a dipstick, and would rather use basic technology that’s been around for decades.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also mark my filter. Check the level before leaving I even go as far as making sure the filter is on hand tight and that they didn’t make a mess from the change and not clean it up. Its not an issue locally when I usually have my sister take my truck to work since shes works at a dealer but anytime when i’m on the road working out of state and need a change I’m sure to mark and triple check. Gotta remember its usually the guy on the lower level of the totem pole doing the quick services not the more experience guy.

After all that one we think you would just do the change yourself but in my case I’m not going to be that guy that I see all to often at hotels I stay at when gone really wrenching and dripping fluid all over a hotel parking lot. I get it sometimes you gotta do some wrenching at bad times but be courteous of others and businesses.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Personally I don't trust the Oil Quality sensors. Had a friend that relied upon one with her EcoTeck engine (GM) only to have the dealer tell her that it didn't work reliably and to change the oil every xxxx miles. Later she found out that advice was also bad since that engine design burned oil and caused timing chain issues. Checking oil using a dipstick can save an engine. Relying on sensors alone can kill it with time. I had to scold her for not checking the dipstick when I did the second timing chain (first done by dealer under warranty), phasars and exhaust cam shaft.

Eliminating the dipstick is a bad decision.

I suspect you are mixing oil level determination and oil quality determination. Apparently the Hurricane motor has eliminated the dipstick in favor of an oil level indicating system. The dipstick was never really intended to determine oil quality since it's really not possible to look at the small fraction of oil that sticks to the dipstick to determine oil quality.

cpetku

Reaction score
I suspect you are mixing oil level determination and oil quality determination. Apparently the Hurricane motor has eliminated the dipstick in favor of an oil level indicating system. The dipstick was never really intended to determine oil quality since it's really not possible to look at the small fraction of oil that sticks to the dipstick to determine oil quality.
Call me a dinosaur,

I remember the very early in-cabin oil level detection systems, they weren't visual. We just kept our ears open for the tappets to start singing.
My model A has a mechanical fuel level indicating system (cork float and fulcrum) where the fuel is even visible from the drivers seat.

I just feel better knowing there's a simple way to check fluids. I really dislike the transmission on my jeep where I had to buy a dipstic and use the ODBC system to measure engine temp, look up the fill in a table and add ATF till the dipstick read what it was supposed to. Hopefully the sensor works well enough.

I'll just watch the posts in 2024/2025 to see how others react to this after they get their vehicle. Then again, there's always something that will make some noise to let one know when the engine needs oil...

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Call me a dinosaur,

I remember the very early in-cabin oil level detection systems, they weren't visual. We just kept our ears open for the tappets to start singing.
My model A has a mechanical fuel level indicating system (cork float and fulcrum) where the fuel is even visible from the drivers seat.

I just feel better knowing there's a simple way to check fluids. I really dislike the transmission on my jeep where I had to buy a dipstic and use the ODBC system to measure engine temp, look up the fill in a table and add ATF till the dipstick read what it was supposed to. Hopefully the sensor works well enough.
Don't look now, but if you have a Ram with the 8-speed transmission, you don't have a dipstick, or even a way to add a dipstick to check fluid levels.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I also mark my filter. Check the level before leaving I even go as far as making sure the filter is on hand tight and that they didn’t make a mess from the change and not clean it up. Its not an issue locally when I usually have my sister take my truck to work since shes works at a dealer but anytime when i’m on the road working out of state and need a change I’m sure to mark and triple check. Gotta remember its usually the guy on the lower level of the totem pole doing the quick services not the more experience guy.

After all that one we think you would just do the change yourself but in my case I’m not going to be that guy that I see all to often at hotels I stay at when gone really wrenching and dripping fluid all over a hotel parking lot. I get it sometimes you gotta do some wrenching at bad times but be courteous of others and businesses.
You trust the lowest level tech on totem pole at the dealer, who is probably disgruntled because he was relegated to oil changes, but not at a place that specializes in oil changes?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You trust the lowest level tech on totem pole at the dealer, who is probably disgruntled because he was relegated to oil changes, but not at a place that specializes in oil changes?

Because they use even lower level techs, I took our old Lexus to an oil change only place with good reviews. I thought everything was fine until the next year when I did my own oil change on the car.

I found that the tech in charge of the drain pan (guy a floor below) installed a new cheap faulty drain plug that had a bad thread on it. It took about 30 ft-lbs of constant pressure to remove that drain plug, from start to finish. Which means this idiot screwed on this drain plug right from the start at that resistance, knowing full well it wasn't right, but didn't care.

Luckily I was able to massage an good drain bolt into the threads and save the pan, but never again will I use an oil change place, especially one that specializes in oil changes, they could be lower than the dealership entry level tech.

If you can, just DIY what you can, because it sucks to pay people to screw up your stuff.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Because they use even lower level techs, I took our old Lexus to an oil change only place with good reviews. I thought everything was fine until the next year when I did my own oil change on the car.

I found that the tech in charge of the drain pan (guy a floor below) installed a new cheap faulty drain plug that had a bad thread on it. It took about 30 ft-lbs of constant pressure to remove that drain plug, from start to finish. Which means this idiot screwed on this drain plug right from the start at that resistance, knowing full well it wasn't right, but didn't care.

Luckily I was able to massage an good drain bolt into the threads and save the pan, but never again will I use an oil change place, especially one that specializes in oil changes, they could be lower than the dealership entry level tech.

If you can, just DIY what you can, because it sucks to pay people to screw up your stuff.
That's why I do most of my own maintenance. Lots of horror stories coming out of dealership quick lube oil changes. No different than going to an oil change place. At least at the oil change place the employee goes in knowing they are just changing oil in cars. Dealership has kids fresh out of school thinking they are going to work on cars changing oil, or techs they dont trust repairing cars. Both hate their jobs because it's not what they want to do be doing.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No I don't trust either 100% thats why I still check. I didn’t say anything against using a quick lube place either but I will still do my own check. I’m not just driving off after and thinking everything ok because I paid for a service so surely it was performed right.’

Users who are viewing this thread