5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2025 Ram 1500 First Drive: No More Hemi

Bob.

Reaction score
No V8. No matter the HP the turbo can produce, it will never sound like a V8 truck. Plus the turbo is likely to be more problematic and naturally more expensive. These trucks are nearly outside the reach of normal everyday blue collar folks. I have no choice but to keep mine.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My 3.5 Ecoboost was a beast when towing. It would put it up against any V8 out there including the 5.7 Hemi.

It's not about the 0 to 60. There is a reason they don't put the ecoboost in the F250 but instead use two very large N/A v8's.

The 5.7 hemi was strong enough to be used in the 2500 as the base engine for a decade.

beetlespin

Reaction score
Ecoboost is not just 0-60.

I can tell you from personal experience my 3.5L Ecoboost pulled my boat WAY better than my 5.7L Hemi does.

silver billet

Reaction score
Ecoboost is not just 0-60.

I can tell you from personal experience my 3.5L Ecoboost pulled my boat WAY better than my 5.7L Hemi does.

You missed the point. The EB delivers much more torque, but the reason many of us want the hemi is not about the power.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No V8. No matter the HP the turbo can produce, it will never sound like a V8 truck. Plus the turbo is likely to be more problematic and naturally more expensive. These trucks are nearly outside the reach of normal everyday blue collar folks. I have no choice but to keep mine.
Time will tell, a properly maintained turbo engine should last just a long as any normally aspirated engine. As long as it's not driven like it's in a drag race every day. There are lots of turbo Dodge cars from the 80s and early 90s still driving around with factory engine and turbos.

Rebond

Reaction score
I find the 22 psi of boost on the SO and 26 psi on the HO a bit concerning. I realize they are built for it, but we'll have to wait to see how these hold up over time.

Tuned 3.5 ecoboost owners are generating 20 psi.

Even with twin turbos reviewers are complaining about some turbo lag.

I'll stick with my outdated 8 psi Procharged 5.7 Hemi with instant/smooth power delivery, which is still much more than the HO version of this I6.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
is this considered a mid-cycle refresh model?

Yes, it's about 2 years late due to Covid, but officially mid-cycle, how long before the 6th gen is the question. I think this mid-cycle is weighted more towards the end instead of the middle of the 5th gen cycle.

Luckily its so mild from the outside and inside in terms of design, most people can't tell, especially on the Rebel trims. Heck, no metal work at all, everything inside and outside is pretty much bolt on updates.

Except of course the big change which is the exclusion of the Hemi for the Hurricane.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, it's about 2 years late due to Covid, but officially mid-cycle, how long before the 6th gen is the question. I think this mid-cycle is weighted more towards the end instead of the middle of the 5th gen cycle.

Luckily its so mild from the outside and inside in terms of design, most people can't tell, especially on the Rebel trims. Heck, no metal work at all, everything inside and outside is pretty much bolt on updates.

Except of course the big change which is the exclusion of the Hemi for the Hurricane.
Hope this doesn't turn into the 2008 Magnum that were a one year only "refresh" before they killed the model. :p

jmr

Reaction score
The 2.0 Hurricane in my 2024 Rubicon gets 24psi boost so they can take it.

dajogejr

Reaction score
I find the 22 psi of boost on the SO and 26 psi on the HO a bit concerning. I realize they are built for it, but we'll have to wait to see how these hold up over time.

Tuned 3.5 ecoboost owners are generating 20 psi.

Even with twin turbos reviewers are complaining about some turbo lag.
I would’ve liked to have seen sequential turbo chargers on the Hurricane.
On a V6, that’s tough to stuff under the hood, with an I6, a little easier. Smaller turbo then larger, that helps eliminate some/most of the lag.
I’m curious to drive one, not curious to own one yet.

Rebond

Reaction score
I was actually wrong on the 26 psi for the High Output Hurricane....it's 28 psi.

That's just a lot for 100,000+ miles.

I consider the Hellcat motor one of the best built motors for boost and they make 11 psi stock.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was actually wrong on the 26 psi for the High Output Hurricane....it's 28 psi.

That's just a lot for 100,000+ miles.

I consider the Hellcat motor one of the best built motors for boost and they make 11 psi stock.
I know of stock longblock LS3s getting pushed with over 30lbs of boost regularly at the track and hold up pretty well. As long as the time is safe, the boost level doesn't really make much difference.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Well, I may catch heat for this but...the most underwhelming and quite frankly, disappointing "refreshes" I could have expected.

Exterior: At least they didn't completely destroy the looks. The Rebel now is just mild, at best. It used to be that when you saw a Rebel it screamed "wow, that's bold." Now? It looks like a half-Tundra, half-5th gen Ram. I'm sure it will look a little better with running boards and some of the other additional trim they put on. It will never be a true 5th gen Rebel though. The 4th gen to 5th gen Rebel was a homerun, if not a grand slam. The 4th gen Rebel's were aggressive as is. The 5th gens just made you go "woah." 6th gen is basically "Oh it's a standard limited/big horn/laramie with a black grill and sport hood."

Interior: Maybe the only bright spot? Passenger side dash looks cool with the screen but its me, only, in my truck 95% of the time. Big screen looks slightly reconfigured in terms of layout/display. Other than that? Meh.

Drivetrain: Mega, mega facepalm. The lack of a V8, even a mild/more-efficient one, is a huge blow. Turbo'd V6...good luck to anyone hoping to get 100k or more out of that motor without dropping some serious repair costs. Anyone getting one of these trucks: Get a 36k 3 year lease and give it the hell back if it doesn't start giving you problems. Even with the 5th gens, the 5.7 was still the 5.7. Yeah they have the longstanding lifter issues, the etorque caused some issues, but I'd rather take my chances with that than start scorching pistons, breaking internals, or having turbo's cook themselves.

I will probably keep my 2019 till it dies and pray they either a) Start putting V8's back in the 1500's, if not then b) go to another brand that still puts V8's in 1500 or c) move up to a 2500 which you have to imagine will still have a V8.

AnthonyRI

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Yet another interesting-math on the Longhorn pricing "The Limited Longhorn sees the biggest increase, jumping by $13,460 over 2024 prices to $77,150."

2025 Longhorn starts at $77,606
2024 Longhorn started (beginning of model year June 2023) $68,785
2024 Longhorn ended (end of model year November 2023) $70,285
Gap $8,821... not shy by any means, but also not $13,460

dajogejr

Reaction score
Well, I may catch heat for this but...the most underwhelming and quite frankly, disappointing "refreshes" I could have expected.

Exterior: At least they didn't completely destroy the looks. The Rebel now is just mild, at best. It used to be that when you saw a Rebel it screamed "wow, that's bold." Now? It looks like a half-Tundra, half-5th gen Ram. I'm sure it will look a little better with running boards and some of the other additional trim they put on. It will never be a true 5th gen Rebel though. The 4th gen to 5th gen Rebel was a homerun, if not a grand slam. The 4th gen Rebel's were aggressive as is. The 5th gens just made you go "woah." 6th gen is basically "Oh it's a standard limited/big horn/laramie with a black grill and sport hood."

Interior: Maybe the only bright spot? Passenger side dash looks cool with the screen but its me, only, in my truck 95% of the time. Big screen looks slightly reconfigured in terms of layout/display. Other than that? Meh.

Drivetrain: Mega, mega facepalm. The lack of a V8, even a mild/more-efficient one, is a huge blow. Turbo'd V6...good luck to anyone hoping to get 100k or more out of that motor without dropping some serious repair costs. Anyone getting one of these trucks: Get a 36k 3 year lease and give it the hell back if it doesn't start giving you problems. Even with the 5th gens, the 5.7 was still the 5.7. Yeah they have the longstanding lifter issues, the etorque caused some issues, but I'd rather take my chances with that than start scorching pistons, breaking internals, or having turbo's cook themselves.

I will probably keep my 2019 till it dies and pray they either a) Start putting V8's back in the 1500's, if not then b) go to another brand that still puts V8's in 1500 or c) move up to a 2500 which you have to imagine will still have a V8.

FYI.
It’s a Turbo Straight or I 6 in the new RAMs. SO and HO versions.
You can kiss the V8s goodbye in 1500 RAMs. That Genie isn’t going back in the bottle.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
FYI.
It’s a Turbo Straight or I 6 in the new RAMs. SO and HO versions.
You can kiss the V8s goodbye in 1500 RAMs. That Genie isn’t going back in the bottle.

You're right. I misspoke. I do like the I-6 configuration better. Still loathe anything not normally-aspirated for longevity.

Users who are viewing this thread