5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

vdrsnk04

Reaction score
So does everyone think the 2025 Ram’s new hands free driving assist is going to hold a candle to the GM super cruise? I really don’t think it is but I sure hope so!!

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think it’ll be buggy for awhile and may eventually do okay. I don’t think they have even manage to get the bugs worked out w/ their fancy “trailer assist” feature.

Truckguy

Reaction score
My point is you completely missed my point. I'm not interested in something that is marginally faster than the 5.7 (or the HO which I wouldn't get anyway). All I really care about is reliability. How many generations of the 5.7 were there? It's been around a while. Plus my '23 is near the end of the 5th gen cycle. That is what I look for. Where are the reliability numbers on the brand new '25 that isn't out yet? Those numbers don't exist. I am a gambler, but not going to gamble on a 1st gen motor in a new model year 1500. Hard pass!

Also, finance wise, similar to buying a '23 when when the '24 are near the end of their production year, I like to wait and try to save money. So if I had waited until the end of the year, I would be looking for a '24 that the dealers are trying to get rid of because the '25 would be out. Clearly not rushing to buy the first '25 that makes it to the lot.

I do wish the early adopters luck and hope it proves to be more reliable than the 5.7. Until thousands have put on the miles, we just don't know those metrics.
Just to add a little to the reliabilty aspect of these engines. I have a 2019 with the Hemi and it has not been that reliable imo. I have had several spark plug failures for unknown reasons which the dealership could find no issues. I will most likely be upgrading to the I6.

Rebond

Reaction score
Just to add a little to the reliabilty aspect of these engines. I have a 2019 with the Hemi and it has not been that reliable imo. I have had several spark plug failures for unknown reasons which the dealership could find no issues. I will most likely be upgrading to the I6.
Have you done your own plug changes and use NGK?

I've had 4 Hemi's and changed all 16 plugs many times without a single issue or plug failure using Champions or NGK, so seems quite odd to me.

Is it possibly a bad coil pack?

Truckguy

Reaction score
Have you done your own plug changes and use NGK?

I've had 4 Hemi's and changed all 16 plugs many times without a single issue or plug failure using Champions or NGK, so seems quite odd to me.

Is it possibly a bad coil pack?
Mine ended up being same cylinder both times. I replaced just that plug and coil first time then all plugs and coils second time. Used NGK both times. So far it’s been 10k miles and no issues but we shall see

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Doesn't that mean the smaller engine is doing the same work as the larger engine thus putting more stress on the engine and not lasting as long.

I'd think that was engineered into the engine. 6 cylinder engines aren't a new thing and a 2025 I6 making 540 hp isn't being stressed; engines this size have been making V8 and above power numbers for years without issue.
Work is just RPM and as long as the smaller engine is built to withstand the same stresses its not an issue; they probably said the same things when big blocks were phased out

silver billet

Reaction score
Doesn't that mean the smaller engine is doing the same work as the larger engine thus putting more stress on the engine and not lasting as long.

Even ford doesn't put turbos in their real trucks. Instead their super duty's have a large, simple, NA pushrod v8 like a real engine should be. The reason is exactly as you suggested, tiny turbos can't handle the duty cycle and on top of it they get very bad MPG when working hard.

The 5.7 hemi isn't flawless, but its been proven to take the abuse in the 2500 trucks for many years. This was one of the attractions to the Ram for me when I bought my truck 5 years ago. As long as there is a v8 to purchase, that's where my money goes.

vdrsnk04

Reaction score
Even ford doesn't put turbos in their real trucks. Instead their super duty's have a large, simple, NA pushrod v8 like a real engine should be. The reason is exactly as you suggested, tiny turbos can't handle the duty cycle and on top of it they get very bad MPG when working hard.

The 5.7 hemi isn't flawless, but its been proven to take the abuse in the 2500 trucks for many years. This was one of the attractions to the Ram for me when I bought my truck 5 years ago. As long as there is a v8 to purchase, that's where my money goes.
The turbo on my 2022 inline 6 Cummins seems to work pretty well, is reliable and get good fuel mileage.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

I don't disagree with you that Ram is making a mistake not offering a 1500 with a V8. But I am disagreeing with you about your first statement. Unless you don't think an F350 equipped with a large displacement turbo diesel is a real truck that is. But I guess that depends on your definition of what a "real truck" is. I was raised with the definition of a 1-ton or bigger is a real truck. Anything less is a pickup.

silver billet

Reaction score
The turbo on my 2022 inline 6 Cummins seems to work pretty well, is reliable and get good fuel mileage.

The cummins is built like a tank and weighs probably another 1000 pounds over the 6.4 hemi. Absolutely no comparison. Those engines are designed to work in school busses and other heavy duty equipment besides just pickups.

The hurricane is a tiny motor with a turbo that is wringing it to within an inch of its life every time it runs. It's a light duty passenger car engine.

silver billet

Reaction score
I don't disagree with you that Ram is making a mistake not offering a 1500 with a V8. But I am disagreeing with you about your first statement. Unless you don't think an F350 equipped with a large displacement turbo diesel is a real truck that is. But I guess that depends on your definition of what a "real truck" is. I was raised with the definition of a 1-ton or bigger is a real truck. Anything less is a pickup.

Here too the 6.7 is a large displacement motor and built very tough. Diesels are naturally far stronger built as they have to withstand the intense pressure and heat from compression.

Most semi trucks pulling 80k pounds are inline 6 diesels. The hurricane's issue is not that its an inline 6 with a turbo. It's because its a tiny lightweight engine designed for car duty.

Again, why do you think Ford didn't stuff their eco boost in their super duty? It puts out similar torque/power numbers vs the 7.3 and/or 6.8, yet they went through all that trouble to design a new engine from the ground up specifically for this truck and campers and ambulances etc. These engines are built to a completely different standard and there is a reason they're not small displacement with turbos dialed up to level 1000.

Edit: and just to clarify, maybe a poor choice of words but "real truck" to me means heavy duty. The half ton segment is no longer truck focused, it's much more of a passenger car. The trucks that work hard are the 3/4 and 1 tons.

PetePA

Reaction score

Interesting video. I think the headline is that there are always tradeoffs. More vibration and complexity with the Hemi. Less vibration and complexity with the Hurricane, but the turbo is another piece of equipment that can fail.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Edit: and just to clarify, maybe a poor choice of words but "real truck" to me means heavy duty. The half ton segment is no longer truck focused, it's much more of a passenger car. The trucks that work hard are the 3/4 and 1 tons.
So then the Hurricane on the 1500s make sense.
The hurricane is a tiny motor with a turbo that is wringing it to within an inch of its life every time it runs. It's a light duty passenger car engine.
The Hurricane is not running within and inch of its life. You clearly don't understand turbo gas engines.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Here too the 6.7 is a large displacement motor and built very tough. Diesels are naturally far stronger built as they have to withstand the intense pressure and heat from compression.

Most semi trucks pulling 80k pounds are inline 6 diesels. The hurricane's issue is not that its an inline 6 with a turbo. It's because its a tiny lightweight engine designed for car duty.

Again, why do you think Ford didn't stuff their eco boost in their super duty? It puts out similar torque/power numbers vs the 7.3 and/or 6.8, yet they went through all that trouble to design a new engine from the ground up specifically for this truck and campers and ambulances etc. These engines are built to a completely different standard and there is a reason they're not small displacement with turbos dialed up to level 1000.

I don’t understand why you’re getting so worked up about this If that’s the case. If you want a “real truck” to do “truck things“ why do you have any interest in a half ton pickup in the first place? If half tons are “more of a passenger car” in your opinion, why aren’t you driving a 3/4 ton or 1 ton?

silver billet

Reaction score
I don’t understand why you’re getting so worked up about this If that’s the case. If you want a “real truck” to do “truck things“ why do you have any interest in a half ton pickup in the first place? If half tons are “more of a passenger car” in your opinion, why aren’t you driving a 3/4 ton or 1 ton?

As I said, the 5.7 hemi was used in the 2500 for years and that history was a major contributing factor in me purchasing this truck. It's a proven design that can take a beating. I don't necessarily need a 2500, but it's nice to know the engine is heavy duty enough to withstand the duty cycle of hard working trucks because my truck does get worked and I want to run it until it dies.

Not a difficult concept, not sure why you're having trouble understanding this view.

But yes if my needs change or I have to replace my truck, the 2025+ ram 1500 is now permanently off the list 🤷‍♂️

BowDown

Reaction score

Ummm what?
Turbo Diesel in addition to two gas engines. The gas engines are there as a cost savings to the customer, every 2500 I've seen with a gas engine was struggling with a simple 5K trailer

Screenshot 2024-04-01 080314.png

Users who are viewing this thread