5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Official EPA gas mileage numbers: ZERO gain over the Hemi in the S.O. version, less than the Hemi in the H.O. version, plus you need mid-grade on the S.O. version. So essentially, you're paying more to drive the new engine than you did the Hemi. Just brilliant.

If you have a Hemi truck, never let it go!
Where are you getting your numbers? Everything I have seen has been 1-2mpg better for the SO version, and about the same differences but less for the HO. All with increased power

vdrsnk04

Reaction score
you can get the 2025 limited with a 6'4 bed and no ram boxes. makes the truck 9 inches longer., that's what I did. now the 2025 tungsten currently is unavailable with that bed option, and you have to get the ram boxes. I think it's stupid of ram not to keep those as a buyer option on all models. a lot of people don't like them.
Good catch. You can also get the longhorn limited this way.

vdrsnk04

Reaction score
I am also unsure how I feel about the front bumper design of the tungsten next to the rest of the models for how they look. Hmm these two pictures show the difference.

Attachments

• IMG_3517.png
    IMG_3517.png
    166.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_3518.png
    IMG_3518.png
    168.1 KB · Views: 61

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I am also unsure how I feel about the front bumper design of the tungsten next to the rest of the models for how they look. Hmm these two pictures show the difference.

Oof. That first one is terrible, like a gangsta smile showing off all that shiny teeth.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't like the grill on either of them.

lonepeak

Reaction score
Change the Limited back to a chrome grill and it may have a different look, good or bad.

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
25 horses?

That's not going to be noticeable in a 5,600 lb. vehicle.
The 5.7 Hemi is 395 hp / 410 lb-ft, and the Hurricane SO is 420 hp / 469 lb-ft. That is a definite upgrade and I believe significant when towing. That’s almost as much torque as the 3.0 diesel @ 480 lb-ft.

silver billet

Reaction score
I agree. Looking more and more like a GMC.

Or whatever this thing happens to be:

lgTfHM4.png

silver billet

Reaction score
The 5.7 Hemi is 395 hp / 410 lb-ft, and the Hurricane SO is 420 hp / 469 lb-ft. That is a definite upgrade and I believe significant when towing. That’s almost as much torque as the 3.0 diesel @ 480 lb-ft.

Well considering the hemi is still rated to tow more, perhaps its not as significant as one might think. I have no doubt I'll be passing y'all in your tiny overheating turbos on the side of a mountain grade and even at the truck stops getting fuel.

A hemi is like a power lifter. Solid muscle and endurance.

A turbo is like a skinny teen strung out on 1000mgs of caffiene. Yeah he can lift, for a few reps anyway. But he ain't got that core strength.

ThatAirRideThough

Reaction score
0-60 times are excellent so I'm having trouble with the lag reports.
I've never driven one, but many turbo vehicles (unless they have a tiny or pair of tiny turbos that light REALLY low in the RPM for nearly-instant torque or feature high compression and smaller turbos for a torque-heavy powerband like the Mazda 2.5 turbo motor that is almost diesel-like) then you'll see some lag if you don't brake-torque it off the line. From what I can see from the video below where he tests 0-60 times with and without brake-torqueing an SO-powered Rebel, there is a good half-second difference. As he notes, if you brake-torque it to light the turbos before launching, the Hurricanes are absolute rockets that produce solid 0-60 times. If not, if you just floor it from a standstill, it takes a little bit before the turbos come-on, AKA, turbo lag, and the HO is said to have a hair more lag than the SO motor but come on even harder once the turbos are lit, which is exactly what I'd expect with a point less compression, more peak boost and bigger turbos.
A friend of mine went on the press launch and he said that if you floor the HO out of the hole, it takes off decently well, but about 25-feet out when the turbos lite and the truck is already rolling, it blows the tires off, which is cool in my book! He also mentioned if you brake-torque the HO, that it launches seriously well! He also mentioned that the SO lites the turbos earlier and comes on stronger, sooner but without the super strong top-end surge of the HO, which backs up what more reviewers are saying. The below video has a 0-60 sprint of the HO with brake-torqueing it and it went 0-60 in something like 4.7 seconds!

0-60 with and without brake-torquing an SO: If it doesn't start at the right place, FF to 32:31

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Some of us have already commented on the one-piece design of the Tungsten front end. Looks pretty SUV-esque to me. It's just one more reason why I wouldn't buy a Tungsten.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
maybe its been mentioned but it just dawned on me w/ the Tungsten being a one piece bumper I’m assuming they went back to plastic w/ reinforcement behind it and kept the aluminum bumpers for the below trims.. that would be disappointing especially with the the price tag.

dcchris311

Reaction score
maybe its been mentioned but it just dawned on me w/ the Tungsten being a one piece bumper I’m assuming they went back to plastic w/ reinforcement behind it and kept the aluminum bumpers for the below trims.. that would be disappointing especially with the the price tag.

Yeah, it most definitely plastic. I can't imagine a manufacturer making a piece of aluminum or steel that size and with so many angles on it. Unless it Tesla with their Mega Press or whatever it's called. I'm okay with it being a plastic bumper. If I want a metal one, I'll swap it for one from the Limited. Yes, I know that forbidden. Why would anyone buy a Tungsten and put a Limited front end..blah blah blah. It's just an option if you want a metal bumper. Or you can go with a off road bumper but then people will chime in and say things in line of, "you ruined a 100k truck or why didn't you just buy a lower trim."

Anyways what I'm trying to get at is, yes they are plastic. Swap it with another model if you please. It's YOUR truck, do as you wish to it.

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
Bring back the all plastic front cover of the 2009 + Ram Sport model…. My Favorite. Stone chips didn’t affect it, easy to clean and looked good as well. I’d like to see one on a Laramie. Metal front bumpers are rust magnets. I’m old and not a chrome guy. Tungsten is not what I want or need.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Official EPA gas mileage numbers: ZERO gain over the Hemi in the S.O. version, less than the Hemi in the H.O. version, plus you need mid-grade on the S.O. version. So essentially, you're paying more to drive the new engine than you did the Hemi. Just brilliant.

If you have a Hemi truck, never let it go!
The Hemi is recommended midgrade fuel as well.

You should probably check your facts. 3mpg better in 2wd trucks and 2 MPG better in 4x4.
Straight from the EPA website.

H.O. gets 1mpg better than Hemi.

70ft lbs more of torque is nothing to sneeze at for the HO. The SO hurricane will smoke the Hemi all day long.

Sent from my SM-S911W using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Reaction score
The Hurricane's main reason for being is to cut emissions by 50% over the Hemi, the official EPA numbers released today proves that mpg wasn't the main goal.

Factor in it can be used as a mainstream motor across almost all model lines with Stellantis and designed from the start to have hybrid capabilities in the future, a big V8 doesn't have that flexibility, especially with smaller vehicles that the Hurricane can fit in.

But unlike GM and Ford who clearly can afford to have their V8s and eat cake too, Stellantis just doesn't have the budget or will to do both. Easy fix folks, you want a V8 in a full size truck, you can still buy a Silverado or F150.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The Hemi is recommended midgrade fuel as well.

You should probably check your facts. 3mpg better in 2wd trucks and 2 MPG better in 4x4.
Straight from the EPA website.

H.O. gets 1mpg better than Hemi.

70ft lbs more of torque is nothing to sneeze at for the HO. The SO hurricane will smoke the Hemi all day long.

Sent from my SM-S911W using Tapatalk
It's not 2 mpg average economy better with 4x4, "you better check your facts"
Window stickers are not hard to find to compare.
Seems like you are trying to justify your purchase vs look at factual information.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The steel bumpers are pretty useless on these trucks, thier maybe slightly thicker then sheet metal. I had a contact with a Chrysler pacifica that decided to stop on a highway entrance ramp suddenly. the Rams bumper caved like swiss cheese, no damage to the Pacifica's rear plastic bumper which I'm sure has a metal beam behind it.

Users who are viewing this thread