5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote Mount Oil Filter

Ready Go

Reaction score
I used loctite 542 hydraulic locker on my install too. Some of the fittings are flare and I used it on the face of the flare and on the threads of everything. So far no ill effects and 0 leaks.
👍I didn't put it on the flare surface, but I did on all the treads..it's how I always do this kind of job..sealer has never failed me so far!

spyder

Reaction score
So much hassle for such a simple job without all the extra hassle. I just don't get it.

Ready Go

Reaction score
So much hassle for such a simple job without all the extra hassle. I just don't get it.
I'll post a video at my next oil change. I'm thinking with two drain pans, I can be done is say 10 mins or less!! 🤔🤯😋
That's including time for a Schlitz while waiting for the pan to drain out through the Fumoto valve.🍺

spyder

Reaction score
I change my own oil. Last time was a couple weeks ago and it took ~17 minutes from before I rolled up the shop door to finish, without any spill. A couple hours of hassle and the cost of the parts to do the remote mount is silly.
But, folks can spend their own time and money on whatever they want and I'm sure I blow money on things people here think are silly too. :D

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't understand why people always seem to be in a race to change their oil. I change my own oil, just for peace of mind. But have never taken less than 1/2 hour, and usually more.

Ready Go

Reaction score
I change my own oil. Last time was a couple weeks ago and it took ~17 minutes from before I rolled up the shop door to finish, without any spill. A couple hours of hassle and the cost of the parts to do the remote mount is silly.
But, folks can spend their own time and money on whatever they want and I'm sure I blow money on things people here think are silly too. :D
True...I could have bought a lot of this instead.....

Attachments

• images.jpeg.jpg
    images.jpeg.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 0

Carlos.33193

Reaction score
Use loctite 545 on the fittings and they wont leak. I wonder if your block plate was moving (rotating) back and forth causing o-ring wear. Ive got mine cranked down tight and it doesn't move around.

I took it apart, again, this weekend, cleaned all the fitting threads. I added loctite 569 to all the threaded fittings to the blocks, hoses to the fittings, and anywhere fittings threaded in, re-assembled, let it sit for a day before starting the truck up and no more leaking as of today.

The block was not moving, the o-rings were crystalized, very stiff and completely flattened when i took them off the first time (after 3-4 years on the truck), I suspect this may be due to the temperature/oil mixture. The replacement ones I ordered are brown viton (FKM) and should be better suited for this application.

Ramboh

Reaction score

I don't understand why people always seem to be in a race to change their oil. I change my own oil, just for peace of mind. But have never taken less than 1/2 hour, and usually more.
It wasn't the time savings for me, I wanted to run the bigger filter. The factory filter size is pathetic.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It wasn't the time savings for me, I wanted to run the bigger filter. The factory filter size is pathetic.
My comment was just in general. Have seen several posts lately about how quickly people have finished an oil change. Like they are trying to compete with the 15 minute or less oil change places they complain about doing a ****ty job. The fact that those places rush through oil changes is part of the reason they do ****ty work

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Maybe it's the racer mentality. For some reason, this evoked for me a mental image of doing oil change like a pit stop.

Truck comes to a sliding stop and someone shoves a pneumatic jack under the front. Another crewman slides under with some kind of vacuum and you see a filter roll out toward the pit wall. Then he slides out and the jack drops. Truck is still bouncing while someone dumps a couple gallon containers into a big port on top of the hood. Then smokey burnout as the crew scatters and truck races off down the road.

In and out in fifteen seconds, you think? 😁

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe it's the racer mentality. For some reason, this evoked for me a mental image of doing oil change like a pit stop.

Truck comes to a sliding stop and someone shoves a pneumatic jack under the front. Another crewman slides under with some kind of vacuum and you see a filter roll out toward the pit wall. Then he slides out and the jack drops. Truck is still bouncing while someone dumps a couple gallon containers into a big port on top of the hood. Then smokey burnout as the crew scatters and truck races off down the road.

In and out in fifteen seconds, you think? 😁
That's the way some people make it sound like they are trying to accomplish

spyder

Reaction score
How, unless you're decrepit and can't get up and down off the ground or are 3/4 drunk and fall asleep under there, can it POSSIBLY take a half an hour to screw a filter off and screw a new one back on?
I only take 20 minutes because I'm competent.

Ready Go

Reaction score
How, unless you're decrepit and can't get up and down off the ground or are 3/4 drunk and fall asleep under there, can it POSSIBLY take a half an hour to screw a filter off and screw a new one back on?

Attachments

• 1706458772078.gif
    1706458772078.gif
    181.7 KB · Views: 11

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's not a race. I let it drain/drip for minimum 20-30 minutes. Also take my time inspecting other things under the truck while I'm under there.

Same with filling. If using quart bottles, each one drips for a few minutes before going to next bottle. If using 4qt or 5qt jugs, they drain/drip for about 10 minutes.

Seems I'm a bit more competent

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Beer and A.D.D lol I know when I’m out wrenching something else will catch my eye that I gotta address right then and there but like most things its not a race as long as you get it done within a reasonable time and its not hindering you from getting in and driving it when the time comes.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Apparently a "filter only" guy. I like to drain the old oil and put in fresh once in awhile, too. ;)

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Funny, for a guy that doesn't even want or care about this, sound like you need to make yourself known for no reason! :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

spyder

Reaction score
It's not a race. I let it drain/drip for minimum 20-30 minutes. Also take my time inspecting other things under the truck while I'm under there.

Same with filling. If using quart bottles, each one drips for a few minutes before going to next bottle. If using 4qt or 5qt jugs, they drain/drip for about 10 minutes.

Seems I'm a bit more competent
Same or inferior job in 3x the amount of time. You're union. Now I get it!!! ;) :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Users who are viewing this thread