5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FitCamX dashcam

Sigfla

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried to shorten the rear cable?
Update: ok so I emailed FitcamX as they seemed to be responsive to another posting where a guy modded his camera. We will see what they say about cutting and splicing the cable to shorten it.

Last edited:

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried to shorten the rear cable?
Update: ok so I emailed FitcamX as they seemed to be responsive to another posting where a guy modded his camera. We will see what they say about cutting and splicing the cable to shorten it.
why?
there is plenty of room to store the cord.
less likely to make a mistake splicing it back together.

Sigfla

Reaction score
why?
there is plenty of room to store the cord.
less likely to make a mistake splicing it back together.
As long as it’s color coded splicing is easy. I feel more confident splicing than I do taking apart trim pieces and molding.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As long as it’s color coded splicing is easy. I feel more confident splicing than I do taking apart trim pieces and molding.

I would have preferred to have a shorter cable, but I didn't need to remove any trim pieces to hide to excess cable.

Sigfla

Reaction score
So their shortest cable is 16 feet. I measured and figured between 12-15 was more than enough. How long is the standard cable? Tucking away an extra 5 feet is much easier than an extra 10.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
How far is the camera from the windshield? Wondering if I'll have to modify the cutout on my Heat Shield sun shade.

The camera does not interfere with my Heat Shield sun shade, but if you use parking mode, it does block the camera.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Until you have connectivity issues.. don’t be a goof tuck the extra length cable don’t create a potential problem that doesn’t need to exist. It’s 2 10mm bolts that hold the A pillar other than that you’re just popping off plastic trim and pulling the rubber seal.. theres plenty of room to tuck the excess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wacopolumbo

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. After reading all 37 pages, I just ordered a front only unit. Amazon says it will be here Wednesday. From what I’ve read, I’ll install after work.

TittoPollito

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. After reading all 37 pages, I just ordered a front only unit. Amazon says it will be here Wednesday. From what I’ve read, I’ll install after work.
It takes about 15-20 minutes to install...unless your kid leaves for a soccer camp for a week with parts in his pocket then add an extra 7 days

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Little rubber bumpers on the stock unit thats prevents the plastic from rubbing on the glass…

Sigfla

Reaction score
Little rubber bumpers on the stock unit thats prevents the plastic from rubbing on the glass…

Hmm missed those on mine. Will have to check and see if they are there

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They’re tiny.. i’m guessing would also help from potential rattling worth transferring over.

Sigfla

Reaction score
I looked my OEM unit over and it didn’t have any bumpers on it. I wonder if it is different depending on which unit fits your truck. I bought the B model I think

Appyfan

Reaction score
I just installed the front and rear camera today. I’ve never done anything like this before, but the videos from Waterfowler 41 and Dad Tech TV gave me the confidence to give it a try. It was really easy (I have no patience or skill with this kind of stuff-if I can do it, anyone can). I put the excess cable in the headliner above the passenger door. Special thanks to Waterfowler 41 for showing how easy it is to pull down the weatherstripping in the door.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I just installed the front and rear camera today. I’ve never done anything like this before, but the videos from Waterfowler 41 and Dad Tech TV gave me the confidence to give it a try. It was really easy (I have no patience or skill with this kind of stuff-if I can do it, anyone can). I put the excess cable in the headliner above the passenger door. Special thanks to Waterfowler 41 for showing how easy it is to pull down the weatherstripping in the door.
this camera is really turning out to be very good.

Users who are viewing this thread