5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FitCamX dashcam

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Quick question for fitcam users.

If you press the camera button to lock the video on the card, does it also force stop the recording at that point and save it, or only mark it to be saved when the 1 minute loop is over?

I ask because I was rear-ended yesterday (minor but still damage) and when I went to go pull my footage just in case, the file of the incident was corrupted because I immediately put the truck in park and shut it off.

Now i know that I need to leave it running for at least a minute after a small incident but I'm more curious for larger incidents when shutting the truck off may be an urgent need, then losing the video of the accident.
You sure that is the reason it was corrupted! The camera has a built in capacitive battery to allow for smooth shut down. Simply turning power off on truck doesn't immediately kill the camera.

iTGbuDeeV

Reaction score
Looking through my SD card it looks like every front and rear file on the card is broken when the truck shuts off. So if the battery is supposed to be allowing the file to finish writing, it does not appear to work on mine.

Fitcam did repair the files for me, and the file does not end at the impact like they suggested might have been the cause of the corruption.

cnstoll

Reaction score
Has anyone with a front collision sensor who installed this worried about the camera obstructing the functioning of the sensor? I'm about to order one of these for my 2021 Rebel that has the front collision sensors, and I'm a little worried the camera itself will block the sensor that is inside of that plastic housing. Has anyone tested that the sensor still works after installing this? Thanks.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Has anyone with a front collision sensor who installed this worried about the camera obstructing the functioning of the sensor? I'm about to order one of these for my 2021 Rebel that has the front collision sensors, and I'm a little worried the camera itself will block the sensor that is inside of that plastic housing. Has anyone tested that the sensor still works after installing this? Thanks.
That's the whole point of the Fitcamx, it is not in front of the sensor or existing camera.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's why you need to make sure you ordee the correct version for your truck, so you aren't interfering with any of the factory sensors.

cnstoll

Reaction score
Thanks ya'll. I went ahead and ordered it. From the reviews and comments in this thread it looks like it'll be awesome.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
A word of caution, I'd periodically connect to the Fitcam and make sure its doing what its supposed to be doing. My replacement is working better but I have connected once and found it to have stopped recording and stating the the SD card needs formatting. This has happened with the a 512, 256 and a 128GB card. I may try the card the camera came with but technologically, it makes no sense why that would matter

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
A word of caution, I'd periodically connect to the Fitcam and make sure its doing what its supposed to be doing. My replacement is working better but I have connected once and found it to have stopped recording and stating the the SD card needs formatting. This has happened with the a 512, 256 and a 128GB card. I may try the card the camera came with but technologically, it makes no sense why that would matter
It's killing the cards. My old dashcam from 2010 did the same thing. Sucks because lots of the time you find out after you need the footage and realize it's not working. I wonder if any dash cam properly works like a real recording dvr and doesn't blow up its recording media.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Last week I pulled my SD card (it's the one that came with the FitcamX), just to check if it had any issues. It was working fine, despite being in the truck for over a year. Maybe the issues you're talking about have something to do with aftermarket cards.

BowDown

Reaction score
Last week I pulled my SD card (it's the one that came with the FitcamX), just to check if it had any issues. It was working fine, despite being in the truck for over a year. Maybe the issues you're talking about have something to do with aftermarket cards.

That may indeed be the case but like I said, technologically, it makes absolutely no sense.
I'm certain fitcam doesn't make those SD cards and the only real difference between an SD card from one to another is the wirite speed and the quality of the memory chips themselves unless there's something specific to card size in the cameras firmware.

I've only found this issue once with The replacement fitcam but I am probably going to swap out the SD card for the One that came with the camera just so I don't run into a situation where I need the data and the camera has not been recording anything because of the SD card.

Realistically, you probably only need one or two days of recording capacity

Last edited:

BowDown

Reaction score
It's killing the cards. My old dashcam from 2010 did the same thing. Sucks because lots of the time you find out after you need the footage and realize it's not working. I wonder if any dash cam properly works like a real recording dvr and doesn't blow up its recording media.

This is exactly my question. Is this a fitcamx issue or is this a dash cam in general issue.
I'd be curious if other dash cams had similar issues

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That may indeed be the case but like I said, technologically, it makes absolutely no sense.
I'm certain fitcam doesn't make those SD cards and the only real difference between an SD card from one to another is the wirite speed and the quality of the memory chips themselves unless there's something specific to card size in the cameras firmware.

I've only found this issue once with The replacement fitcam but I am probably going to swap out the SD card for the One that came with the camera just so I don't run into a situation where I need the data and the camera has not been recording anything because of the SD card.

Realistically, you probably only need one or two days of recording capacity
I've had no issues with my "aftermarket" 128gb card in my Fitcamx.
Silicon Power Micro SD Card 128GB Memory Card with Adapter https://a.co/d/0yDoHzs

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I'm making it a habit to reformat my SD card at every oil change (6 months). No problems with recording so far using the supplied SD card.

BowDown

Reaction score
Looks like its a common problem for all dash cams

I'll probably just do what @Idahoktm does but monthly

Kicker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey, what are you guys using for video editing software so you can get just the 10-30 seconds of video from the camera video file rather than watching or uploading the whole 3 minutes?
I mean on your PC after you save the file.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey, what are you guys using for video editing software so you can get just the 10-30 seconds of video from the camera video file rather than watching or uploading the whole 3 minutes?
I use the VLC media player. Not because it’s fancy or amazing, but because it’s free and does what I need it to do.

Kicker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use the VLC media player. Not because it’s fancy or amazing, but because it’s free and does what I need it to do.

Thanks, I wanted to save a part of a clip, saw an Eagle on the side of the road having breakfast off some poor good sized fur ball, all of 3 seconds. :)

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, I wanted to save a part of a clip, saw an Eagle on the side of the road having breakfast off some poor good sized fur ball, all of 3 seconds. :)
lol I hear you. Was thinking the same thing this morning. Had to stop for some turkeys this morning. One of them was all fanned out like a thanksgiving promo picture

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I only do 1 minute clips to make it easier. I have used the window video editor to splice files together and shorten them in the past

Sigfla

Reaction score
iPhone cuts it down for me.

Users who are viewing this thread